Restarting low-carb & fasting - painful swollen knots on feet soles at edges of ball of foot and heel

newbies
fasting
extendedfast

(JJ) #1

Each time I do prolonged fasts with low carb refeeds I seem to develop painful knots under my feet (right now at the edge of my big toe’s ball and on the other foot at the edge of my heel’s ball).

I’m 11 days into the current low-carb stretch + fasting (fourth cycle of 72 hours of fasting with a 50-50 protein-fat % refeed meal in between (completely full carb before starting the 11 days).

During the fasting periods I go dry during the day and have electrolyte water between 4-9pm (sodium, potassium, baking soda, magnesium salt and sometimes ACV+turmeric+lemon water).

Has anyone else experienced these knots appearing? They’re getting better today, but I’m a bit concerned that they’re a symptom of an underlying issue. I also experienced about two days of the painful hips/lower back/thighs that was talked about on a different thread on here, but that seemed to have dissipated.

(Robin) #2

I probably lack the l knowledge/experience to have an answer.
BUT… if you only experience this during prolonged fasts, stop doing that. Prolonged fasts (as I understand it) are used by those who find a definite health benefit…physically or mentally. Even if you “feel good” while fasting, don’t ignore pain. It’s your bodies first warning signal. Don’t ignore the alarm and wait for what might follow. Just go back to your keto way or life. If the pain doesn’t come back… there’s your answer. Prolonged fasting is not a “must” and doesn’t work for everyone.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Have you talked to a physician about this? There may be something completely unrelated going on, which is exacerbated by the fasting.

(Joey) #4

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing such discomfort while trying to improve your health! I have no expertise to offer regarding swollen “knots” on feet, but I am struck by your comment above…

Why would you ever deprive yourself hydration at any time during any day? How does this help you achieve your longer term health goals? :thinking:

(JJ) #6

for me personally it’s way easier to fast without water, especially while working and moving about. It’s a less extreme version of dry fasting (I still get electrolytes in the water I drink in the evenings), and I’m still experimenting to find what works best. There’s a lot of debate around it though, but the general idea is that it puts you into ketosis faster (checked this with keto strips), starts autophagy faster and eventually makes your body generate its own hydration from fat cells (I’ve done that in the past but it’s quite extreme and I’m doing much better with the slightly more relaxed and balanced approach - losing weight, feeling good mentally and keeping on track).

(JJ) #7

If it gets worse, I definitely will go have it checked out - for now it’s alright and it seems to have calmed down a bit - same as in the past where it would only stay for a few days then dissipate.

(JJ) #8

The prolonged fasts really help me to get back into keto and healthy eating - the starting hunger goes away really fast, ketones go up and the quick drop in (water) weight are quite motivating for me. There are many other health benefits like the stable mood, better blood pressure, mobility etc. I’m definitely not ignoring the pain - I will have it checked out if it worsens, but for now it’s okay and seems to be getting slightly better, but I’m hoping to find out what causes it. I’ve also had it once or twice a few years back before I started fasting and just with regular keto - it’s uncomfortable for a few days but not too alarming.

(Joey) #9

I’ll join the debate :wink: Urine strips measure the amount (of a narrow type) of ketones that are being excreted … i.e., not being used by your body - which was the original point of getting yourself into ketosis.

I’m afraid you may be measuring the width of the moon by holding up a yardstick.

Anyhow, I’m glad to hear you’re getting relief from the swelling!