“Replenishing glycogen stores”

there are a couple misconceptions in here.

your body does not wait to replenish glycogen until you eat a high carb meal. you don’t diminish glycogen without very intense exercise or starvation. once it is used up, the body replenishes it ASAP out of the substrates available. in a ketogenic eater that is the glucogenic amino acids (the ketogenic amino acids are dumped into the blood stream as fuel), glycerol and lactate . These are available as a product of the exercise you just did to deplete it. prior to exercise your body was maintaining blood sugar homeostasis via GNG from either glycerol or protein (if you were eating “excess” beyond repair/maintenance etc). glycogen replacement is prioritized after blood sugar homeostasis. replenishing the liver glycogen takes priority over muscle.

You do not excrete excess protein. the body does not “waste” it. it is partition into GNG in front of glycerol lactate etc once the bodies demands for it are met. it does this because if need arises then the amino acids can be directed away from GNG if needed.

(Erin Macfarland ) #22

@Jason_v are you a scientist?? This is really detailed info! Very interesting, thank you!

(ianrobo) #23

and Jason this is shown when I do a 7 hour fasted ride at tempo with efforts on hills, I never bonk and my stores get replenished as I ride ? if you do 7 hours riding you would only do them at tempo anyway.

(Ken) #24

True, people following a lipolytic nutritional pattern do have low levels of glycogen, enabled by limited GNG. And yes, it is used for maintaining blood glucose levels. It’s accessible for that purpose because the body is primarily secreting glucagon rather than insulin, which enables glycogenolysis. This is fairly different than glycogen storage while following a Carb based pattern, as unless practicing a caloric deficit (resulting in intermittant lipolysis after glycogen is significantly depleted) as in a CICO Carb based diet.

This is why those following a CKD typically perform a workout specifically designed to deplete this residual glycogen before a recompensation, with the intent of preparing the muscles for maximum glycogen uptake.

I am a biochemical engineer with a background in physiology, but not currently working in that field.