Reduction in saturated fat intake for cardiovascular disease

(Joey) #21

Thanks for providing this link. I would greatly welcome the chance to read the full paper, but for some reason (paywall?) I can’t seem to access it. Anyone else have luck without paying a fee?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Cottonseed oil and cheap industrially refined sugar came on the market in the U.S. in the mid-nineteenth century, and the diabetes epidemic began about twenty years later. Elliott Joslin watched it start, in fact, as cases began to come into Massachusetts General.

Here are some talks by researchers, with citations from the literature:

Baking… cakes, cookies, etc… with tea, coffee, etc…

To me it seems like demand drives an industry and not the other way around. Sure refined foods(especially refined sugar) are addicting without a question but a person must lack self-awareness to not see how the food is affecting them. I did experiments with corn oil many years ago… a couple tablespoons a day for a couple weeks and started gaining fat on my stomach… as soon as I felt my stomach rolls… I stopped immediately and started running. Though; one benefit I noticed from the corn oil or Omega 6 fatty acids was the production of Prostacyclin in my heart when I went running. My heart vessels widening and pumping a lot of blood with ease but I still don’t eat seed oils to this day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

It works in both directions. The “need” for deodorant was manufactured, but now people demand the products, despite the fact that most people who bathe daily smell just fine. (Though it has been remarked that at no time has the human race ever become too smelly to reproduce.) The sugar industry hardly had to create any demand for its product, since a taste for it appears to be hard-wired into human beings. The “need” for vegetable oils and margarine was largely manufactured (and the American Heart Association certainly did its part to help), but the products became popular because they could be manufactured at a lower cost than butter and lard can be produced for. There are a host of factors involved in developing demand for a product, and sometimes the marketing works, sometimes it fails utterly (the midi-skirt fiasco of the 70’s or 80’s comes to mind in this connection).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

An interesting correlation: as demand/use of sugar/seed oils increased, so did the demand/use for deodorants.

Anecdotal observation: since starting to eat keto, my BO has decreased to the point of virtual non-existence. When eating standard SAD, I couldn’t go for more than a couple of days before my BO got to the point of absolutely requiring thorough cleansing. Since keto, meh… Even a succession of hot, muggy days and lots of sweating don’t do anything to me.

Interestingly, though, if I have a couple of ethanol-enhanced beverages, BO quotient increases noticeably. Then decreases again within about 3-4 hours.