Recommendation for vacuum sealer

sousvide

(Wayne Godfrey) #1

I have an Anova sous vide circulator that I’ve used with great success a few times. I’ve been using “ziplock” bags and the displacement method, but I would really like to start vacuum sealing. My plan would be to also start preparing larger amounts, vacuum sealing, and freezing.

My problem is the confusing number of models and features – even within a particular brand like Foodsaver. I don’t think I can justify a chamber type machine at this point, but I would be interested in hearing some recommendations for particular models that others have found to work well.

Thanks in advance!

We’ve had a Foodsaver V2240 for a long time and it has worked very well. We recently replaced the rubber seal (thing) to bring it back to life.

Looks like the V2244 replaces it. It’s like $80 on Amazon.

(Dawn) #3

I have a FoodSaver V3880 (bought in 2013). It has a marinade mode, and has the attachment mode to seal canisters and mason jars. I bulk cook every other weekend so it gets used quite a bit. I have used it for vacuum sealing the bags, as well as mason jars.

I buy in bulk, but it’s just my hubby and I, so I seal almond flour (any dry products) in mason jars to preserve the freshness and also do the same when I buy a large pack of crumbled bacon - seal most in jars, and just use from one.

I always recommend going to your local Goodwill or Salvation Army… they always seem to have a couple of food savers on the shelf, something to spend 10 dollars on and see what you like or dislike and go from there.

The discount websites meh.com/woot.com seems to sell a foodsaver for $30 once every month, if you are patient and fast on the buy button.

:slight_smile:

(Bart) #5

I have the food saver v 4880 that I picked up at Costco a couple years ago and love it. It also has the marinating feature which I use from time to time. The one warning I will giv e is this… Since buying this dang vacuum sealer I buy soooo much more meat then before. So now I have a freezer filled to the brim. Not a bad thing don’t get me wrong. I just need to get into the habit of eating what I already have before buying and sealing more. Lol

Either way I personally do not think you can go wrong with a food saver vacuum sealer.

Also, if you’re going to Sous Vide, I think having a food saver is a better choice than trying to manually push all the air out of a sous vide bag. (or maybe I’m wrong).

(Wayne Godfrey) #7

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up picking up a Foodsaver FM5200. Working well so far!

(Teresa) #8

I have owned different type of vacuum sealer for over 3 years now and I have found that best brand is FoodSaver but they have a different type of vacuum sealers that are good or bad. I really like V4840 or V4880, ofcourse I have not tried all machines but I’m satisfied with these, I’m sealing fruits but not all machines are working well, some will crush and the fruits are wasted. I found useful reviews from http://vacuumsealerresearch.com/ and feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Teresa

(Nina Naira) #9

You can go to buy Nesco VS-02 food saver device. I have been using this device for 2 years. It works fine, its durability, performance, ease of use, features are awesome. After searching for long, I finally found a good vacuum sealer for my kitchen purpose. I got a great help from a link for buying this device. If you want you can check this: https://foodgear.org/best-vacuum-sealer-reviews/