Recent medical findings

(Scout) #1

So, just as I’m about to give up on keto, we get this news. What do folks make of it? I’m tired, not losing weight and following macros straight on, so this seems like a nail it a coffin I’m not quite ready to shut. In other words, I want this study to be wrong. But wonder if it is.

This article https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/16/both-low-and-high-carb-diets-can-raise-risk-of-early-death-study-finds gives a better idea as to how the study was conducted.

"Trials to compare low-carb and high-carb diets directly are not possible, because they have to be carried out over many years and people find it hard to stick to a diet over any length of time. Instead, her team carried out observational research with more than 15,400 people, aged 45 to 64, from diverse socio-economic backgrounds from four US communities who were enrolled in the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Those people filled out questionnaires on their eating patterns on two occasions, six years apart. Their health was followed up for 25 years, allowing for factors that might alter the results, such as smoking, income and diabetes.

These results were pooled with seven other observational studies carried out across the world, involving a total of more than 430,000 people.".

I won’t be losing any sleep over it!

(Laurie) #3

I’m not worried. Studies come and go. They all measure different things and come to different conclusions.

As low carbers, we are always learning and tweaking. I have read that people do best if they get some of their protein from vegetable sources, which for me means some soy, some nuts, and some seeds. I also eat a lot of fish and not much red meat. But someone else will reach a different decision, or will feel better eating a slightly different way.

If I don’t eat low carb I get fatter and fatter. Getting bigger won’t help me live longer. I’m 65 and I really don’t care how many more years I live. I want quality of life.

Here’s the original article:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

That’s the BBC News take on it.

Such publicity needs critical response - because scarey headlines affect behaviour.

I have no doubt that in due course it will be publicly torn to shreds by greater minds than mine.

(Terence Dean) #6

If your impressed with that article try reading this one about one of the experts mentioned.

Her webpage: http://followyourfeelgood.com/about/

’ Dr Sara Seidelmann, clinical and research fellow in cardiovascular medicine from Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, who led the research, said: "Low-carb diets that replace carbohydrates with protein or fat are gaining widespread popularity as a health and weight-loss strategy.’

‘However, our data suggests that animal-based low carbohydrate diets, which are prevalent in North America and Europe, might be associated with shorter overall life span and should be discouraged.’

…my special talent for taking seemingly unrelated ideas and creating something NEW.

And we’re supposed to be worried about Keto?? Good grief.

(Ellie) #7

Their idea of low carb is 20-30% of calories from carbs…:rofl::joy::rofl:

(Terence Dean) #8

That’s right up there with the mouse study. :rofl:

Her’s the link to the paper in the Lancet - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

Yes, the first steps in evaluating any research are looking at the authors. The beginnings of bias are there.

Can we go further?

(Omar) #10

I wonder how much they get for such studies?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Sarah Seidelman works with Walter Willett at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. Willett is a researcher who has consistently opposed animal foods. It was recently revealed that Williett and his former boss at Harvard, Frederick Stare, took money from the sugar industry to play down the bad effects of sugar by demonizing saturated fat. The two of them were instrumental in getting the FDA to list sucrose (table sugar) as “Generally Recognized as Safe,” despite research already existing at the time that indicated possible bad effects.