Really late Keto Flu

ketoadaptation
ketoflu
fatburning
newbies
fasting

(Allison) #1

I began the Keto lifestyle on 12/01/17. No cheats so far. 200 pounds since 12/01/17, literally no change on the scale, not even within a decimal. No changes in my body either, but testing at least small to moderate on ketone urine strips daily.

Ok, so I think I am just now experiencing Keto Flu? Horrible leg cramps, lethargy, headaches, palpitations…? How is this possible after eating keto for 4 months straight, no cheats?
I hope this doesn’t mean it took my body all this time to begin burning fat for fuel…I did take some advice from a fellow poster who told me that all of my exercise was counterproductive and I went from 4-5 days a week down to 3 days. So now I’m wondering if dropping even lower would help even more…? Any thoughts? Am I just now getting the “flu” and fat burning? Would less workouts help even more? Is it just electrolyte imbalance, lol?

(Ron) #2

I would suspect hidden carbs in your diet. What is a typical daily meal plan? Do you track?

(Allison) #3

IF for 17/7 trying to get to 18/6. Coffee with heavy cream and coconut oil. I usually eat chicken breast or ground beef with cucumbers and romaine with ranch dressing and avocado. Then repeat for dinner with a different protein.

(Ron) #4

Could be a combination of things. Electrolyte balance is very important on keto as I found out the hard way (experienced a lot of what you describe). Are you maintaining your macro percentages evenly? (approx 75/20/5)
Heavy cream can sometimes hinder weight loss. Watch protein consumption. Too high can stall weight loss (I have to watch this closely) and chicken breast is high with low fat content.
And possibly it is just taking your body a little longer to heal internally and is just now starting to show external symptoms. (took me 2 months for this and to see any weight movement).

(Allison) #5

The muscle cramping struggle is so real!!!I’m cramping up during exercise and rest. The headaches are so intense, and I wake up in the mornings feeling like I only got 1 wink of sleep.

(Jay AM) #6

What is your electrolyte supplementation like? Sodium, magnesium, potassium? Zinc and calcium might also be important for you. You can get keto flu at any stage of being keto if you become dehydrated or are not intaking enough electrolytes.

(Ron) #7

Are you constipated? If so, incorporate Psyllium Husk into your diet. Bloating and cramping can be a cause. Headache could be electrolyte regulated. Take more salt and drink more water. Water helps a lot especially if your getting a little dehydrated, especially in the beginning when your body is transitioning.
It could also be un-keto related maybe something you might have looked at by a professional.

(Allison) #8

Guess what…I dont take anything for electrolytes. I didn’t need to because nothing was happening to me. I saw the recipe for ketoaide and figured on giving it a good try to see if things improved.

(Jay AM) #9

Yes, make the keto aide. What you describe is probably an electrolyte issue then. All those symptoms are common for it.

(Diane) #10

I use pink Himalayan salt for electrolyte supplementation. I put some under my tongue in the morning (for quicker absorption), drinking water after it dissolves. Then I repeat this several times a day. Regular salt supplementation can also help if you are having issues with constipation. If you get enough salt, it should help help you hang onto enough potassium (for most people). I take a magnesium supplement at bedtime (it helps me relax/sleep better). I haven’t felt a need to make Keto aide.

I wonder if you’re getting enough fat? I started paying attention to my fat (after keeping my carbs under 20 net grams and meeting my protein macro), meaning that if I found I was still hungry within a few hours after eating, I ate more fat. This has made a difference in my weight loss. I still stay the same weight sometimes, but over time, I’m seeing weight loss again after an extended stall.

(Candy Lind) #11

I don’t hear near enough fat in this food list - or calories. Are you working to a calorie count? If so, STOP. I worked to calories as well as macros at first and it kept me from losing. I increased my fat intake twice, and each time it precipitated a drop on the scale. Less than 30 grams carbs, moderate protein, and fat to satiety. You have to eat enough calories (in the form of non-insulinogenic fat) to allow your fat cells to release energy.

Cramps, headaches etc.:
Add ketoaide &/or salted water to your daily fluid intake. Most people need both salt and magnesium supplementation. Search for magnesium supplement recommendations in the forums.

(Allison) #12

Thank you, thank you everyone. I’m struggling getting in the fat because my appetite isn’t there.

(Cece Blackstock) #13

I kind of suspect hidden carbs as well… check the ranch dressing label? (Or any label on anything you eat, sometimes there’s potato starch injected into chicken, or other sneaky ingredients) These are my two cents…

(Jennifer ) #14

Hello!

I experienced the same thing, about 6 months into my first go-around with keto. The answer for me was 100% electrolytes. Keto-aid. Do it up girl. If it doesn’t work, come back.

(Allison) #15

Will do. Just wondering…do I drink multiple servings per day or just the 1 24oz serving?

(Allison) #16

Anybody?

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

When I use ketoaide I do the one large serving, sipping on it throughout the day, using plain water or water with citrus slices (don’t eat the slice, just infuse the water.) oh and La Croix sparkling water if my tummy is making noises.