Raw milk and honey

Hi Doug, just to answer the question about defiences, I don’t know if there are any specifically written about, but I can again look at my own N=1. My hands when I was just eating carnivore foods, and I do so love them, were getting to be terrible. I mean they were bone dry, they looked much older, and I frantically moisturized them with no effect. I wondered what on earth was happening. After just 7 days of drinking raw milk, 1 glass a day on average, the skin began to become smooth again, I could even stop my moisturizer. I look at my hands now in wonder. It has convinced me about the raw milk’s benefits. What 39 year old woman wants to have hands that look like they belong to somone in their 60s. My SO looked at them, having seen how bad they previously were, and thought the transformation was astounding. I think it is the raw milk starting to heal my gut. The skin on my face seems also to be improving, less dry, I’ve stopped using my expensive facial moisturiser and I’ll see what happens, but my roseaca appears to be going. I stick to one rule, no pasteurised grainfed dairy. Just the raw grassfed milk, my KerryGold grassfed butter which I like to put on my fish and meat. So let’s discuss carbs again. I have the last few days upped my raw milk intake to one and a half glass, does it make me put on weight? It seems to be slimming me down. People I know comment on how slim I look. Which would certainly suggest no water retention. Ketosis maintained. But what’s really amazing and interesting is what drinking raw milk is doing to my skin, I love my new hands!

Now, with the wild unpasteurised honey I don’t know what the benefit would be, as I only intend to have a daily quarter of a teaspoon. Perhaps that’s too little to see a benefit, but I am going to try. Of course, my tiny amount is not due to fear of carbs, fructose or glucose, but because the honey I want to buy from the same grassfed local farm where I get my raw milk and pasture eggs, is so expensive, £6 for a tiny glass jar, so I figure a quarter of a teaspoon will make it last for a while.

I do believe, on carnivore, if no organ meats are eaten on a regular basis, there can be deficiencies that the body, not science will let you know about, which is why I am going to look into getting some grassfed organ meats depending on how much it will cost.

Lastly I want to see if I can do without my magnesium citrate in a few weeks after incorporating all these changes, and just get everything I require from my food.

(Doug) #24

Sounds good, Never2late. I don’t have a problem with the milk at all - and you seem to have a good handle on things. The honey is really what I’m wondering about. However, a quarter of a teaspon per day - Holy Crow that’s not much at all. :smile: No worries.

Hi Doug. If the honey wasn’t so expensive I would have varied the amount between a quarter of a teaspoon, half a teaspoon and a teaspoon, but never more than a teaspoon at most, but I figure a quarter of a teaspoon will make the tiny glass jar for £6 last longer.

Well I’m back from the farm, had a lovely walk there, bought 1l of their lovely grassfed milk, 18 eggs which will last me a week and their honey jar. To my surprise and delight, it was not £6 but £4.50, and a more generous size than I remembered, though still little. At a quarter of a teaspoon daily it should last me months. If I upped that to half a teaspoon, it would still last me for weeks. But I shall start with quarter of a teaspoon. The honey is taken straight from their bee hive, nothing taken out, nothing added. I have a feeling when I take my first taste it will knock my socks off with its sweetness. There were noone there on the farm that I saw, you just get what you want, write down the items in a book and pay into their honesty box. But I’m sure they must have some kind of surveillance system, otherwise people from left and right could go in and steal their produce. The farm is just lovely, with lush green fields for their cows to graze on.

How tiny? It’s a very okay price for a small jar, not for a tiny one but these aren’t proper amounts, we all think of different sizes here. But probably your jar is really tiny. Odd, it’s usually quite hard to buy a tiny jar of honey here, the normal jar is 1000g, the small one is 500g, I think there are tiny ones for the most special ones like chocolate or lavender honey (or something pure honey but from a somewhat rare plant), only to try it as they come in bigger ones too.
Honey has its price and it’s worth it for me very much, thankfully we don’t need a proper income to eat honey, that’s for beef.
I don’t know supermarket honey prices but they hardly are super cheap compared to the best beekeeper honey prices here (the normal ones, not the very special ones and even there, it’s not a HUGE difference). So the choice was always very easy for me. Should I feel lucky? :smiley: Sometimes I do.
I don’t think anyone need to care much about honey prices on keto :smiley: Except maybe in some parts of the world or if it’s something truly special…? My coffee is way more expensive even now that I drink it in moderation and of course, buy the cheapest that still isn’t bad tasting.

Farm cheese is expensive too and that’s easier to eat up… I only buy the most flavorful farm cheese, that’s worth it. And we are very poor. But amounts matter a lot even there.

By the way I couldn’t eat only a quarter of teaspoon of honey… A teaspoon, sure, that’s a lovely amount but a quarter is tiny! But I eat honey occasionally, that’s true… So when I allow it, I want to have a very proper, satisfying experience :slight_smile:

Hi Shinita. The honey jar is little, but it will last me months I am sure, and was only £4.50 in the end, very happy with that price. I do so wish they would also sell raw cheese and raw cream and butter. It’s a lovely thing that their farm is within walking distance, it’s a lovely walk there past a beautiful church. As to the honey amount, I have a feeling it will be potent enough, that the sweetness will knock my socks off, I still find the raw milk very sweet, but nice too. Oh, eggs. I’m becoming more like you about them. Bought 18 eggs from the farm today and it will last me a week. I just love how they taste, with plenty of butter on, rich and luxurious, I never thought I’d become so fond of eggs.

It’s easy to get good eggs here, they were significantly more expensive before the big inflation last year, now they are probably cheaper…? Whatever, they were always worth it even just looking at the taste. I felt the difference.
We bought 120 eggs last week, that will last us 2 weeks or almost. We can’t do this from normal people keeping some hens but the greengrocery collects them and almost always have a lot of eggs. It would be very hard for me to have no or just a few eggs a day. Giving up meat would be easier though still very, very bad at this point. But egg is vital for me, I ate it all my life in not small amounts (except 1-2 years when I felt them too smelly).
I eat eggs with zero fat most of the time (I can’t afford extra fat most of the time but eggs are great without it, I often even get out some yolks… I add some other times though) but as they have 2 parts with very different fattiness and behavior, they are so useful for various things. As I eat so many eggs (even when I don’t really focus on them, don’t make some big egg dish but they just add up quickly in their support role), I can use them to change my fat/protein ratio. I can’t have it too low or too high, I tend to overeat protein while staying hungry in the first case and I overeat fat and calories in the latter. So when I have leaner meat, egg and especially yolks and fattier egg dishes (like quiche) helps with the balance and when I have very fatty meat, some lighter egg dishes do the same.

Hi Shinita, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten more than 4 eggs, usually 3, so you are still the egg queen🙂I do like them with lots of butter, and with lovely runny yokes. I love my meat too, and what on earth would I do without it? Well, I’d starve. But luckily there is always a lot of meats to get. And of course there’s fish and seafood which I like very much, but it doesn’t satiate me like meat. Oh, to eat deer, and you say that is cheaper than beef where you live? Here, deer would cost an arm and a leg. Beef is certainly expensive, but much less so than deer. I am not talking about the whole animal, but cuts, and the more reasonable ones at that.

Well, I just had my first quarter of a teaspoon of raw honey. It wasn’t anything like the sugary stuff they sell in the supermarket, it was potent, tasted kind of wild, floral, a bit heady and slightly, ever so slightly tingly on the tongue and the sweetness was not overbearing at all. But one quarter of a teaspoon was enough. Though I could up it over time to a whole teaspoon if that’s more beneficial, but I will just go with this amount for a while.

We have forests (but way below the European average as I have just learned… it goes up though) and lots of deers. Just like I see grazing cows a lot, I see deers too. Actually, I see deers more often but it’s just because of the location of my home.
I was surprised too… But yep. Deer is cheaper than ANY cut of beef, organs not included. And it’s so tender while the cheapest beef (lower leg) is chewy, having much tendons… And anyway, deer from a forest!
Mouflon is the same category, it’s a wild sheep living in our forests but I can buy its meat for less than any beef… :slight_smile: I don’t really understand but I am happy with it :wink:

Honey IS very dense sugar so it’s super sweet but a tiny amount definitely helps with that :wink: And it has a very, very deep, rich flavor. Usually. I used to love locust honey, it’s a highly popular kind, even the places with the tiniest variety have normal (mixed) and locust honey, the latter being very light, subtler flavored (but it’s a very lovely, unique flavor) and a bit more expensive. Rare honeys are even more expensive like my fennel honey but it’s super rich and nutty. Linden is popular and somewhat common too but not my thing.

(Ohio ) #33

I use raw honey mixed with chia seeds to start 2 day fasts. I’m not sure why or what the benefit is here. But it’s got prebiotic properties. It seems to kill appetite. At this point in my keto journey, I seem to be obsessed with dialing in my ability to fast for long durations. Keto foods essentially take a back seat when it comes fasting, caloric deficits, etc.

This is a new thing to me! Just to combine benefits or is it something special and enjoyable?

It surely would make me hungry but all carbs and small meals do it to me. Sugars are the worst. But it’s just me.

I started to read about honey, oh so people truly pasteurize it, wow. I saw some reason for it but it’s very special, only for people who can’t handle raw honey, most of us aren’t like that.

Eating honey for benefits (mostly regarding immune system), the advised portion was 1 tablespoon a day, that’s a lot… Of course, it may be fine in smaller amounts, I don’t know.

Hi Hippie, I found the same with the raw honey I purchased, a tiny taste, a quarter of a spoon was enough, and quite heady. I don’t do extended fasts though, as I need my energy. But I’m sure it brings benefits for others if they tolerate fasts well. What works best for me is 2-3 meals a day, my glass of raw milk, my quarter teaspoon of honey, and a cup of coffee (with raw milk, I do feel it’s bit wasteful). But we’re all different.

I certainly won’t be doing a tablespoon of my raw honey a day, a teaspoon eventually, yes perhaps. But nutrition advice must be taken with a pinch of salt. I believe the body will show the way with regards to benefits.

Wow, Shinita I’m jealous. You get to eat deer and sheep cheaper than cuts of beef, just WOW. And rabbits from a local farm. You are indeed fortunate. I would love to eat game but it’s so expensive my SO and I would have to go out and hunt it all ourselves, and we’re really not hunters.

(Ohio ) #38

It’s basically an appetite killer for me. I never add it to meat, coffee or anything. I also look at it as something where limiting exposure is beneficial, essential. Like caffeine. I believe there are benefits to coffee, tea, etc but over exposure can have consequences. Example: I drink tea 1-2 times a week. Sometimes not at all. Honey is a month thing at most. It’s intake is also fused with a protein fast.

My gut could be somewhat different or compromised. Gastritis, seizures meds, meds in general may tweaked my gut to react like this.

I am very unfortunate, some more inflation and I will need to starve as I can’t afford food then. I can’t even afford beef! :smiley: Okay that’s luxury, of course I don’t. It’s fine for me without beef, I prefer pork :slight_smile:

The rabbit is from a house :slight_smile: But the main thing it is good :wink:
Once I bought mutton (Racka!!!) from the beef farm not so very far but not so near either. It was amazing. But it’s not easy to get any, the farm only had it once in the last several years and local butchers don’t even keep beef.

(Ohio ) #40

I worked on a dairy farm so for a while I was chugging raw milk like water. Feels like a stimulant to me. Love it. Fasting for myself is just being fuel by OSD. When I carnivore, 2-3 meals is a normal thing.

Hi MattWisti, I understand this about how food may affect us differently when we get older. I don’t know if I ate SAD when I was on a HC/LF WOE, it was mostly fruits, fresh and dried, nuts, lots of nuts, fruit and nut bars, and dark chocolate, and a lot of green tea. And I did cook healthy, balanced home cooked meals, such as some fish or meat, and steamed vegetables. I only allowed myself processed foods like hot cross buns and pizza on the weekend, on the saturday, so it was one day a weak. But I did eat a couple slices of wholemeal bread daily, and I think I had a gluten sensitivity. Conventional dairy also appeared to affect me, as pasteurised milk and yogurt would make me ill.

However, I am with you where young people getting away with all manner of foods, but not so much perhaps, when they are older, I think there is some truth in this. In my case, I still believe my biggest step towards my better health lay in giving up gluten and wheat.

We are all different, but because we are only human our own experiences shape our views also regarding others. And we may project, and we may fall victims to bias, but the wonderful thing is life teaches us its wisdom and our bodies nudge us in the right direction, if we learn to listen.

Hi MattWisti, from my test results from 12 October 2022 my triglycerides were low, but so was my LDL and HDL. The doctor was very happy with the results. This test was done back on my HC/LF WOE, it would be interesting to see how those numbers might have changed now, as I am no longer sure low cholesterol is necessarily a good thing. My body is still in ketosis, I’m fairy certain. As I feel nothing like I did on my HC/LF WOE, no hangry feelings, no feelings of being weak, in fact I feel pretty good, especially when I’m out walking in the sunshine. I eat 2-3 meals a day. My WOE is animal meat based, with these additions: a daily small glass of raw milk, a bit of grassfed butter on my meat or fish, a quarter of a teaspoon of my raw honey joining my WOE as of today. It’s still to my mind a ketogenic WOE, but with the addition of raw milk, I am experiencing further health benefits (no bloat, smoother skin, and much more energy).