Random newbie questions (training and heartburn)

heartburn
newbies
strength-training

(Malin Hallett) #21

Thank you! I don’t know what’s causing the heartburn but someone has just suggested it nught be the MCT oil! So I’m going to try to cut that out so see if that helps.

I will definitely go easier in the gym for a bit. This is definitely a marathon and not a sprint.

(Malin Hallett) #22

Thank you, that’s really interesting. I will skip it tomorrow and see if that helps. Would you use butter instead or just leave the fat out of the coffee? It does seem to help keep me regular.

I’m looking forward to my strength coming back. I’m not fasting and I’m pretty sure I’m eating enough so I think it is just the adaptation phase.

(Edith) #23

I’m not the best person to ask for that. I can’t eat dairy and I hate coffee. :rofl:

Cut out the MCT oil before a workout. You need to start with a small amount of MCT oil. Build up as your body adjusts. Nobody likes heartburn or disaster pants. I found through my notes that I sometimes would experience heartburn after bulletproof coffee (MCT oil) and working out right after. Same with lots of yard work. Have you tried powered MCT oil? I switched to the Quest version 8 years ago, and I was able to increase the amount of MCT with zero gut issues.

(Malin Hallett) #25

Fair enough! I will do some experimentation to see what works for me :blush: at the moment I’ve come down with a stomach bug so can’t eat anything at all :sob::nauseated_face:

(Malin Hallett) #26

I didn’t even know there was such a thing! I have exactly the same reaction if I have anytbing at all to eat or drink (other than pure back coffee) before a workout. Any bending over etc makes it hideous.

I will have a look into powdered MCT, seems like it might be a good option for me. Thank you :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Take it easy, for now. Fat-adaptation generally takes six to eight weeks and even longer in some people. Your performance and recovery time will gradually improve. Your body is going through some major changes at the moment; no need to overstress it.

No. Acid indigestion, not to mention acid reflux, are signs of not enough stomach acid, not too much. That said, however, acid indigestion could also be an early sign of infection with Helicobacter pylori, which is the bacterium that causes ulcers. You may want to speak with your physician.

However, if eating three meals a day helps the heartburn, then don’t attempt to fast. The easiest way to get into fasting is to wait untill you start skipping meals because you forget to eat. In my case, that didn’t happen until well into my second year of keto. To this day, I generally don’t eat in the morning. I am usually not hungry until some time after noon. But on days when I get hungry early, I eat. It all seems to average out over the week.