Raise Ketones

keto
newbies
science

(Charles ) #1

Continuing the discussion from Welcome to Ketogenic Forums:

Hello Anyone, Everyone, All,

My first post. I’m usually technically savvy but I have been poking around reading as much about Ketogenics as I can find.
I’ve lost 53 lbs on Keto WOE. But I’ve reached a cliff. My Ketones are usually 0.5 climbing to 1.1 at the highest. How do I kick my ketones higher? I can’t eat butter, well not too much without breaking out. Can anyone suggest how I get my ketones higher?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Why? You have measurable ketones, therefore you are in nutritional ketosis. You’re losing weight and assuming that’s your current goal, you’re doing fine. Don’t mess with success. Just keep your carbs sub 20-grams per day. When that stops working, let us know.

As I understand it, measurable ketones are expected to go down as the body gets more efficient at producing how much it needs.

(Charles ) #4

Maybe that is why I can get them higher. Thank you for your reply.

(Bob M) #5

You can fast multiple days. You can try and eat a ton of fat. I find eating a lot of fat can sometimes raise ketones.

But then you have to ask yourself, why do these raise ketones? For the fasting, you’re living off higher ketones and lower blood sugar. (It’s likely more complex than that.) When you eat tons of fat, you’re just providing your body with exogenous fat.

Neither of these mean you’re losing fat, though.