Quick Intro, Lost 11 pounds 1st week w/ intermittent fasting

(Bunny) #21

I propose a DEXA scan (“the gold standard for body fat testing”) would reveal just how likely what I’m saying is correct; esp. in the case of lots of body fat?

Thinking a scale is going to to be so precise as to tell you the exact amount of body fat your losing compared to water weight is like thinking I’m the Easter Bunny? :rabbit:

If I were to jump on a scale after an 11 day fast, most of that’s water weight, not actual body fat burned! I know this to be a fact from my own experience and observing it in other people! When you fast too long, and have little experience with understanding what’s really going on physiologically with the circadian like hooks (metabolically learned expectations) with long-term fasting rather than doing shorter fasts, you initiate a cephalic phase response (CPR) that Dr. Fung mentions which means even if you are not eating for a long-time and your a novice beginner, your going to spike insulin anyway, it is like using an artificial sweetener which can give a psychosomatic (a mental circadian hook factor) response (gluconeogenesis-insulin-spike; via your own body tissue/protein) to the body despite its chemical matrix not spiking insulin even if you are fasting or doing LCHF and are burning ketones/bhb for energy! The body sees it (extremely long fasting) as a threat (HPA-Axis function ramps-up the cortisol? = no fat gets burned!) and lo and behold it holds onto it anyway or will replace it again with more fat than there was initially?

If you jump into a battle with inadequate armor or not enough armor your not going to last very long?

Autophagy DOES NOT burn fat, what it does do is heal a broken metabolism and you don’t do that by doing extremely long health-threatening (you RISK further metabolic damage?) fasting as a novice beginner!

(Frank) #22

Sounds like you’re all in. Good for you man. 47 here as well. I started on Jan 9 2018 so almost exactly 1 year before you did. This has by far been the single biggest change that has ever happened to me personally. With support from your friends, family, and this forum you will find success. My advice on the start is don’t worry about the exercise too much. Eat the right way at the right time. Get as good of sleep as you can. Spend quality time with your friends and family. These factors will likely have a more positive effect on your overall health. Think long term. I can’t emphasize this enough. I’m excited for you because I know what you are going to be and how you’re going to feel. You got this man.

(Jane) #23

But he’s not fasting full time. He is limiting his eating window from 11 am - 7 pm.

Any estimates of how much is water and how much is fat is just a guess.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #24

Salt, magnesium and potassium with adequate water will fix you right up🤠

(Full Metal KETO AF) #25

I’m going to be completely straight with you on this, it’s wishful but misguided thinking that you’re going to be able to eat the exact foods that brought you here in moderation after getting where you want to be, all your hard work at changing your habits and healing your body will likely be lost as everyone who has approached diet as a solution rather than making a lifestyle change has found.

You can enjoy keto versions of all these foods now (in moderation taking carbs in full account) and for the rest of your hopefully long and healthy life. As others have said there are tons of creative alternatives to these foods that you mentioned that are all keto friendly and healthy. I love a good lettuce wrapped burger, or a frittata with pizza toppings and spices, a taco salad. I find all of these foods very satisfying and now realize that I’m getting the flavors I want without the heavy carbohydrate buzz, burn out and crash that I used to think was just from getting old or, I over ate because it was so good. (Always needed to get a whole sub, eat half a pizza, pint of ice cream, a giant plate of pasta, home fries several times a week with breakfast, etc.) That was my carb and sugar addiction speaking and me not listening.

Long story short is

“If you find something that works, don’t go back to what wasn’t working”.

My best wishes to you my brother for a successful journey back to good health and a long life with your loved ones.
When we know better we can begin doing better! :cowboy_hat_face:

As an afterthought I would say that nothing tastes as good or is as satisfying as good health.

(Mike) #26

I agree, my problem was that for years…all of the carb & sugar loaded foods that got me to where I am now were part of my daily routine. Every day, multiple times a day. I want to get to a healthy weight, and metabolism, and to the point if my kids ask me to take them out for ice cream I can have a cone and control myself so that it’s a special treat every so often, not a daily routine. Carbs & sugar are bad, as per Keto, and I plan to keep them at a difference

(Mike) #27

Back to black coffee, as I mentioned, it gives me no joy. However, the past 2 days, I have been drinking it with lots of ice, and just the monk fruit sweetener and I have to say, it’s a huge improvement. It’s just better cold to me, not sure why. Maybe the ice melts and waters it down, but I have now switched to drinking it exclusively with ice

(Running from stupidity) #28

Exactly, so at 200 or so kilos, not fat-adapted, it’s almost certain to be entirely water weight, not fat

:+1:

(Mike) #29

Down another pound, this week- 12 pounds total in 11 days. Fasting is going very well, my 11am-7pm timeframe is the only time I have been taking in calories. One thing I want to do is drink even more water. Not a big water drinker, so I find myself having to remind myself to drink it.