Questions for Jason Fung and Megan Ramos

(Victoria Mc Coy) #162

Don’t know if this is still an issue for you, Jeanne, but Megan Ramos on recent Obesity Code Podcast said that ACV can really help with keto rash, ingested AND applied topically. Theory is it may have something to do with yeast issues. Not something I’ve had, but good to know for those who get it!

(Victoria Mc Coy) #163

And… @carl beat me to it! Sorry I didn’t read to the bottom of the thread first. It’s an excellent episode.

(Jeanne Wagner) #164

No problem! I have been using the ACV and it’s basically gone now. Even if approached from a lazy use like I did, it goes away. I just drank it in my water (still am), did not topically apply it or eat any berries.

(Jeanne Wagner) #165

I heard them! My keto rash question got on the show. How cool. :+1:

(Herma) #166

Salt! Everyone’s talking about adding salt during fasting. What to do if you have hypertension and swollen ankles, and take a diuretic daily? I supplement with magnesium and potassium but don’t use much salt. Up to a 24-hour fast I feel okay but after that I get wobbly.

I think you need to discuss this with either your doctor or pharmacist. Some diuretics actually cause potassium to be retained ( a common antihypertensive one done this) so you may be endangering your health taking potassium along with this med. As others have found (including myself) hypertension resolves as your insulin levels drop, so it may also be that your BP is lowering naturally and that may also account for your dizzyness. Get it checked out xx

(Herma) #168

Thank you for the reply. I use Lasix, which is not potassium sparing, so my doc prescribed the supplements. I haven’t told her I’m fasting, she thinks I’m just doing keto. Not sure how she’ll react to fasting.

Ah - good to hear :smiley:
You may not need to mention the fasting until you are ready.
Good luck!!

(Lisa F) #170

Hi all -

A question about being cold while fasting. I’ve just started working in an IF regimen after two years on Keto (have stalled 20 lbs shy of my goal). My body is really responding well and I’m seeing pounds and inches disappear which has been wonderful!

So far fasting has been pretty easy…I’m keeping up with electrolytes and ACV and green tea for hunger. The only issue I’m having are feeling extremely cold (like chilled to the bone) at the 24 hour mark.

I’m seeing conflicting advice. Some say you need to really load up on fat during that last meal. Others say it’s just normal and you need to suck it up and hold out because it’s due to the loss of the thermogenic effect of eating. In the IDM FAQ Dr. Fung states it isn’t normal and a sign of BMR slowing down.

So…is there a way to avoid the chills? Is it a sign to stop fasting? Maybe take a small amount…like a tsp or so…of fat?

My apologies if this was covered already.

Many thanks to Dr Fung, Megan, the IDM team and Carl and a Richard for all you do trying to share the word!!!

Happens to me all the time too. I notice after a big meal I am usually much warmer. I have gotten used to it and keep a nice fleece handy. I go to bed with two blankets and usually throw one off in the middle of the night. I am warmer in the morning.

I have had this since I began more than a year ago. I ignore it and take it as a sign of nothing. Sometimes I am cold on Day 2 and perfectly fine on Day 4, it seems to come and go. I have lost 35 lbs and have at least 40 or 50 more easily to lose. Dr. Fung may have other ideas but I do not believe it is a sign that you are not fat adapted or that you need to stop unless you otherwise feel bad

(Marilee) #172

I watched a man run into a door yesterday while he was “checking me out.” So my question for Dr. Fung, Megan Ramos, and the dudes is, have you considered the safety implications for making us all so ridiculously good looking?

“…your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.” Dr. Ian Malcolm

(mole person) #173

I just want to say that I am LOVING this podcast. I’ve been spending hours everyday just gobbling them up. They are fantastic. Informative, well paced, with a human angle that gets you in the heart. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. Thank you!

Hi I am very interested in if the question about hair loss was answered in any of the podcasts? I have easily lost more than half of my hair over the last several months and am terrified I will lose it all at this rate. I have listened to quite a few of the podcasts but have not heard hair loss covered. It does seem to have gotten much worse since I started IF eating one meal a day most days. Please help! Thank you.

(Jeanne Wagner) #176

Great question, I’m experiencing much hair loss as well, over the past 2-3 months. A good 1/3 or so of my volume is gone and it’s not slowing down at all. I’m concerned.

(Jeanne Wagner) #177

Yes I needed to be reminded… I’m on a stall and it’s getting a bit scary. I think I’m embiggening just a touch as well. :roll_eyes:

(Jeanne Wagner) #178

Now in July and its not come back. Yay.

(Jeanne Wagner) #179

I am in withdrawal from the show. :cry: Can anyone share when new episodes will air?

(Sandra R. Case) #180

I was wondering that myself…seems nothing since May 13. I realize they are both extremely bust. @Carl Too,

(Jeanne Wagner) #181

Yes I am amazed at the amount of content they do. Was just hoping it would come back. No announcement was made to the contrary, so fingers crossed.

(Jeanne Wagner) #182

No longer an issue! I ingested the ACV and over a couple months it went away. I know that’s a long time and I could have shortened it with a more aggressive approach. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. I think I had both yeast and candida. Awful stuff.