Question on OMAD, Metabolism, and Calories

conversationstarters

Sesame oil is a seed oil which almost all say is off limits.

(Karim Wassef) #6

You just don’t want to be running on 800 calories from diet. Keto allows the body to gently transition to fat burning. It does it hormonally but it creates a small but continuous deficit.

If you suddenly decrease your dietary energy intake too much, it pushes back and drops metabolism.

(George) #7

That’s another issue I guess I’m encountering. I’m usually able to eat anywhere from 5-8 oz of meat based protein on OMAD, along with keto sides, but I eat till satiated. I don’t know if I should push beyond satiation, or stop when full.

The question was, will it harm and I believe it will not. Plus he’s already been doing this a while so it’s not “sudden”. And what of those that burn 4k calories on ultra marathons and other endurance feats of daring? Our ancestors did this all the time and I don’t mean prehistoric (theoretical) ancestors.

(Karim Wassef) #9

If you go too deeply into caloric restriction, there will me a metabolic drop.

Will it hurt? It depends. If you’re a fat burner, the ketone should step in and reduce the impact. If you’re a carb burner, it will absolutely hurt.

(Bunny) #10

I agree with this also, you want to try to get a feel for when your really really hungry. The goal is not to naturally not feel hungry even though your cutting back the carbohydrate part of the caloric restriction even with OMAD, if you are really really hungry don’t ignore it (be honest with yourself?) and eat something before that timing window or your leptin signaling will tell your body to hold on to the body fat. The more you spread out your eating windows the easier it becomes to not feel hungry in between a - 24 hour eating cycle.

If your fasting for therapeutic purposes (autophagy, diabetes etc.) other than burning body fat that’s another thing; you ignore that hungry feeling until the ghrelin wave spikes dissipate.

Just be aware and make a logical and clear distinction between those two things, because that subtle understanding makes a big difference depending on your goals and reasons for the methods you are choosing?

See also: 70% calories of dietary fat does not equal 70% volume

How deep is too deep of a caloric restriction?

(Bunny) #12

I think it would depend on how much body fat you have compared to lean person that would determine how deep of a caloric restriction you would want to maintain?

A lean or muscular person is going to burn carbs immediately:

(George) #13

Well I’m 253 now, and I believe the ideal weight for someone of my height would be at 180. Given I have that much body fat, I wasn’t really too worried about some caloric restriction, but I just wanted some opinions on what the best course of action would be (stick with OMAD, or incorporate lunch again into a 16/8 daily IF)

Even if a lean person goes deficit enough to slow metabolism it is life extending and healthy. It’s one of the healthiest things we can do for long life. Now if your goal is to increase metabolism and life FASTER then that would be counter productive toward your purpose.

Generally speaking that is. Some may have medical conditions that contraindicate

OMAD is a great maintenance strategy. If you want to continue losing it’s a good idea to mix things up now & again.

(Bunny) #16

With OMAD I would follow my hunger signaling and eat when I’m hungry and gradually space out my eating window until I did not feel hungry or ill (symptomatic; hypoglycemic: headaches, migraines, nauseous, weak, dizzy, brain fog, forgetful, tired or lethargic etc.)?

(George) #17

I guess that’s where my signaling might be off. Before keto, I’d get headaches/migraines pretty frequently, and could always eat. Since Keto, no headaches/migraines, and after I tried an EF, what I consider real hunger doesn’t start to peak until it’s close to my usual meal time.

I also exercise while fasted, right before meal time, and I haven’t lost any energy or ability to lift the same amount, if not more, than before.

(Karim Wassef) #18

My longest was was 19 days. I’m only eating on weekends now. I usually fast at least 3 days a week. I also OMAD when I do eat.

I measure my composition with DEXA and my metabolism with RMR before and after so I quantify my n=1.

I appreciate the longevity benefits of fasting.

However, I think we should decouple the metabolic impact of fasting from the epigenetic and hormonal signaling that is the underlying mechanism for longevity.

As with most things … there’s a sweet spot. Too high and oxidative stress gets you. Too low and your ability to burn fat diminishes and you easily gain weight even with restricted intake and inflammation gets you.

OMAD is great, as is fasting in general. But if you starve vs fast, then it takes time for the body’s metabolism to recover.

(Robert C) #19

This might be true but it is a bad situation if you have excess body fat you want to lose.
Slow metabolism means it is very difficult for you to lose more weight.

One of Keto’s good points is to keep calories high sometimes - keeping metabolism high but insulin low (because most calories are from fat).

Then skip some meals and drop some locally stored fat - go back to higher calorie intake periodically.

(Karim Wassef) #20

Nature likes waves… cycles… growth & decline… life and death…

When you fast and then eat, and repeat… you’re actually in sync. This is why OMAD is so natural.

The problem is when the average level of the waves drops too far… then your deficit triggers other responses that can be damaging.

If your RMR is 2000 and you go Keto. Without even noticing it, you’ll be satisfied around 1800. That 10% deficit, with the hormonal triggers of satiety and the availability of energy from your own body gradually pulls at your own fat. No stress… no pain… no hunger.

If your RMR is 2000 and you decide to go Keto and drop to 1000 while hungry… your body goes into metabolic revolt. This is not Keto.

For me, the natural response of going into Keto was satiation at about 10% less than my metabolism… it varies by person and few people are lucky enough to have their own RMR machine. I’m looking at you, Nick! @Don_Q

(Karim Wassef) #21

What I’m trying to do is keep my intake the same at about 2000 but boost my burning way up. If my body wont let me then it wont let me and I’ll be ravenous and run out of energy so I will eat more when that happens but so far it seems to be working. I hiked 16 miles with 3k elevation gain yesterday on just a tiny breakfast of BP coffee and an avocado after fasting 14 hrs and I never did get hungry after 5 hrs hiking. I eat when I got home hungry or not. I plan on hiking 24 miles but my feet and Achilles tendon are not up to the task yet but the big muscles are fine. As soon as I can do 24 miles then I start going for more speed. It’s hard trying to recover from 8 years of sedentary and weight gain.

(Karim Wassef) #23

if you increase your burning, through exercise, then your RMR goes up to 2200 and your intake is 2000… that 200 deficit pulls from your fat when you’re Keto - it happens without stress or hunger.

that works well, but it’s a harder path than just being in keto OMAD. that’s just gentler on the body and achieves the same results.

Exercise has its own benefits - especially things like cardiovascular health, muscle gains, increased metabolism, etc… but it’s not the most direct path to weight loss.

My biggest surprise was how well I can lift after fasting continuously for 18 days… It wasn’t explosive, but I had no lack of energy.

Ive been low carb for 9 years because of insulin resistance. I only heard of keto 4 months ago. All I’m focusing on now is to get into as good a physical condition as I can so I can go backpacking and I think keto is a great tool in the tool-bag. If I lose wight my feet wont hurt while in training and I can get in shape faster but if all fails and I never go backpacking I think the keto diet is here to stay providing I dont quit caring. The first priority is to cross mountains and if being keto adapted makes me live longer or stay healthy longer as well then that’s just an added benefit but not my main goal at this time.

We need goals to motivate us and to lose another 10 pounds would be a good one on it’s own but what then? If I cross a few mountain ranges the “what then” becomes yet another set of mountain ranges :o) But I cant just keep losing weight for ever haha