QUESTION: Has anyone developed acne starting Keto?

newbies

(Jess Paul) #1

I’m 2 weeks into the Ketogenic diet. I entered gradually, cutting out sugars except for the low carb berries and melons. I feel like I’m just now possibly experiencing some negative side-effects like lethargy (Possibly the keto flu?) and a new development of acne.

MY ACNE SUMMARY: I’ve had cystic, hormonal acne from 12-26 years old. I went on Accutane at 26 and rid my acne seemingly for good. I was one year clear. Now since I started keto, about 6 zits started popping up: forehead, behind ears, under nose, around lips shoulders and neck. Has anyone experienced this? Is it normal? Does it go away once you are completely in ketosis?

Wow. It was the complete opposite for me. I developed smoother skin with more elasticity.

Can you provide us with your typical daily foods in meals and snacks? There are some foods that are known to cause issues with people who have sensitivities, like dairy.

(Jess Paul) #3

Yes, I have been eating lots of dairy. This definitely might be the problem, though I thought a hormone transition may also be. Cutting out dairy would make this diet a LOT harder for me and I might not be able to fulfill it long-term, which is unfortunate. I’d love to hear more testimonials about initial acne (and if it goes away after ketosis fulfillment) and thoughts on dairy inclusion. I’m aware some gurus leave dairy our of their keto diet.

(eat more) #4

are you still on Accutane?
were you eating dairy prior to keto?

there is also a thing called “keto rash”

sex and other hormones definitely affect the skin…“time of month breakouts” are proof

sorry more questions than answers LOL

I just mentioned one example, dairy. But other issues could be happening too, and maybe dairy is not your problem at all. It isn’t for me. If you provide us with what your typical eating patterns look like, we can offer some advice as to what to do to diagnose the problem and uncover the solution. So that you don’t prematurely jump to conclusions, make changes that do not help, while not addressing the problems that are affecting you.

(Jess Paul) #6

Great questions, really helpful to finger this out!

No: I’m not still on Accutane. I finished my exactly one year ago and have had no major outbreaks since save a clogged pore from my makeup here or there.

Yes: I’ve never cut dairy for any length of time in my life, but I admit I have been eating a lot more cheese and creams since I started Keto 2 weeks ago.

As for cyclical breakouts, I never noticed specific acne around my period, though i could have, it was just hard to tell: I either had acne all month round and then didn’t after Accutane.

Thank you of responding! Any info (or questions) are helpful. I really want to stay on Keto, but the acne thing could be a major problem.

Going keto affects hormones. This is obvious, but it seems to be underrated. Of course it can affect acne, especially during the first month or two when your body is getting adjusted to your new way of eating and it struggles to regulate your hormone levels. Hopefully, that is it for you; however, you do seem to have a history that is different than the average person.

(Jess Paul) #8

Thanks so much for that question. Currently, here is an average run down of what I’m eating:

BREAKFAST
2 eggs and bacon or ham (sometimes sharp cheddar in an omelet

LUNCH
could be a salad with an italian dressing (olives, romain, spinach, ham, blue cheese, shaved carrots)
could be an avocado and cheese (fresh mozzarella, gouda, cottage cheese)

POST LUNCH SNACK
cup of the low carb fruits (melons, strawberries, raspberries blackberries)
sometimes cottage cheese if I didn’t ave it with the lunch

DINNER
could be stir fry veggies in olive oil
could be chicken and veggies
could be pot roast and veggies

COFFEE
I drink coffee just like I always have. I have not tried fasting or butter in my coffee yet.

That’s very close to what I eat every day. I am in fact eating more cheese and SLIGHTLY more meat than in my normal diet.

(eat more) #9

i think 2 weeks is probably too short of a time period to determine that keto is the cause. i have far less skin issues keto than pre keto.
my chin (sex hormone area) would get really congested pre period…hardly, if at all since keto.
it could be anything and the change in eating could be coincidental…other than possibly releasing some dormant toxins.
change in weather, increased activity, new shampoo, cleanser, moisturizer, makeup, etc

as @Fiorella said…seeing your typical eating could help us armchair diagnose LOL

are you drinking enough water? have you increased artificial sweeteners?

(Jess Paul) #10

More really great questions:

Yes, I drink water out of habit all day sitting at the office.

No, I never had put any sweeteners at all in my coffee. The only sugar I am taking in is from those low carb fruits I mentioned and sometimes canned whipped cream that has 1g of real sugar per 2 tb.

BTW, unrelated to the acne, if there are things I am eating that you think are bad for a keto-starter, let me know that too! Still learning, experimenting and researching every single day. I really appreciate all the opinions and insight, even if I’m doing something really wrong.

(eat more) #11

it is such a learning process and new insights all the time! (which i love)

let’s see your food :slight_smile:

psst… scroll up :smile:

(eat more) #13

oh dang…thanks for having my back @kyz :blush:

The only comments I can add is I’m not sure about the melons (especially every day). And I wouldn’t have a post lunch snack (just add more to your lunch if needed). My daughter (age 28) is going through all the things I avoided, the keto flu (gone), keto rash (comes and goes), and extra acne.

(Ashley Haddock) #15

I’ve heard of many people having acne appear in the early stages of their keto journey. Whether it be from the body “detoxing” or regulating hormones I’m not sure. Maybe both. But the ones I know who have experienced that said it cleared up fairly quickly and their skin is better than ever.

As a side note, I had horrible acne from the time I was 11 or 12 until I was in my early to mid-twenties. Thankfully mine did not come back when I started keto, though I do still get the occasional pimple during certain times in my cycle.

(eat more) #16

food doesn’t look overly dairyfied to me.
i agree with @kyz about the “snack” and the fruits. cottage cheese can be insulinogenic because of the milk sugars.
the goal is to clear insulin and it may not be cleared from lunch when you have the post lunch snack and creates more…
i think it’s definitely too soon to try fasting but i’d try coconut oil and/or butter in your coffee…it’s good :slight_smile:

are you tracking your intake?

(Jess Paul) #17

Cool!! I didn’t know the post-snack was a problem, but your explanation makes sense. I was trying to space out my food like I would normally do from other heathy habit advice.

I am not tracking my macros yet or anything. I wanted to gradually start the diet without stressing too much, though I was weary that I was probably eating too much fruit. I’ve been considering starting to track using an app I heard about from Jason Wittrock, can’t remember the name at the moment.

Any other advice about tracking or foods to add/exclude?

I would track first and then adjust as needed. How few carbs will depend on how insulin resistant you are, but most keep them below 20g a day. I myself have decided to eat no fruits and very few veggies until I’m a little closer to my goal, but that’s a personal choice given my situation. It sounds like you’re off to a great start. Research “keto flu” and “keto rash” so you can power through them. Once you’re past the carb withdrawals, you’ll feel amazing and energetic.

Several people here recommend fat secret tracking app. I use my fitness pal and have gone into the settings to adjust my macros. Plus I ignore any warnings it gives and just evaluate the nutrition data at the end of the day.

(eat more) #20

i personally don’t like My Fitness Pal which is what i think jason wittrock has mentioned.
i like fatsecret because it allows you to track net carbs (mfp doesn’t have that option and you have to do the maths)
not everyone tracks but i think it is helpful to at least start out doing so just to get an idea of what your day really looks like and troubleshoot if necessary…but don’t stress over it or feel that you HAVE to meet your macros.
keep your carbs under your limit, make sure you are getting enough fat and food overall, don’t bother with calories or deficits. eat when you are hungry. keep electrolytes proper. (keto is diuretic so you need a higher intake of minerals) easy peasy right? :blush:

carbs 20g
protein .8-1g per pound of LBM (lean body mass)
fat “the rest”