Psst....I don't care if my food is GMO or not, and regular salt works just fine as an electrolyte

(Gaby Abed) #1

I still enjoy edamame from the pods, still eat tofu occasionally (just not too much), enjoy frozen bagged veggies conventionally grown.

Seriously, and thanks Richard and Carl for bringing it up in the most recent podcast. This is why Paleo and Crossfit never resonated with me; if I wanted to feel guilty about life choices, I’d still go to church.

For the most part, I’m more of an IIFYM kind of guy.

There is certainly nothing wrong with finding what works for you to eat keto. The fundamental components of keto WOE are what is important. And understanding what works for your body and lifestyle. The rest is your choice. Well done sticking to your choices.

(Cathy Schroder) #3

And that’s one of the things about these forums - not everyone makes the same choices, but there seems to be a level of tolerance that doesn’t always exist elsewhere. Glad you have found what works for you.

Isn’t that the rub, though? We all have different definitions of what “too much” is?

(Paul Jaeger ) #5

I’m finding this a little troubling, but not because of any approval or disapproval of your decisions, rather that by sharing this, it is somehow critical of those people who focus on other avenues such a food quality and crossfit. The method any of us use to achieve success is neither more or less valid. As Richard and Carl say every show when they remind us what a Keto diet is, what we use to get into Ketosis varies widely. I applaud your success, yet get the idea your post might be critical of other people’s choices. I (for example) find that when I go to the freezer, I find a great deal of peace about what I am about to eat because I raised it. I also find it a bit stressful when I eat conventional supermarket meat and produce because I can taste a difference and wonder what accounts for the difference. I am in no way saying I’m right. I’m just trying to offer a bit of context.
As a side note, I considered dropping a note to Richard and Carl about the danger of justifying consumption of “Keto Friendly” products that technically don’t raise glucose, but may raise insulin levels. It makes me cringe when I remember all of the “low carb” Atkins products loaded with artificial sweeteners and hydrogenated oils and loath the idea of Keto being hijacked and eventually lumped in with fad diets rather than the awesome way of regaining health that it is.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

I do avoid GMOs because I have relatives in Iowa who can tell you terrifying campfire tales of the Monsanto Monster.

(eat more) #7

it read to me as a self-declaration not as an admonishment.

(Paul Jaeger ) #8

I also tried to consider it from that point of view, but found that if a comparison wasn’t being made, why declare it at all. Why distinguish non GMO food and regular salt? I do really want to understand what, if any, is the intention.
Again, I don’t want to judge anyone. I only want to make clear that there is the possibility of a slippery slope for industry to create frankenfoods to fill the voids if we aren’t careful. The majority of folks who are now turning to keto have some kind of metabolic derangement. Selling dietary fat as a healthy thing means that a certain amount of market share will be created. Food companies don’t care about the integrity of their products as long as it is profitable, and fits some kind of definition that makes it conform to guidelines in whatever kind of sense it takes to preserve the marketability. The easiest way is to move the goal posts around and deliver items with long shelf life and low cost. How long before we start seeing chemically engineered fat that is fortified with all the stuff that should have been there in the first place? Not to say that science isn’t valuable and maybe it would make no difference to our bodies where the fat came from, but that is a rare occurrence given the track record of the industrial food system. I really don’t want to be considered alarmist on this subject. I am just concerned that we might end up repeating a regrettable history if we don’t keep some of this in mind.

(John) #9

Yet 2 posts of rants do just that, your entire reason for posting was to “protect” everyone from a way of thinking that is not yours. There is no reason for you to post at all. If you disagree with it fine, but don’t post a bunch of nonsense that goes directly against what you said just before. You state

The method any of us use to achieve success is neither more or less valid.

But then go on to bash anything that isn’t your way of thinking, the horrors of the grocery store and industry making products, oh and better drop a line to Richard and Carl, they better understand your way of thinking as well.

If you don’t have anything nice to say…

(Bacon for the Win) #10

I think it’s plain 'ol engaging in conversation. Not everyone will agree on everything and that’s what keeps things entertaining and lively. I can respect OP’s opinion of Paleo and Crossfit even though I tend towards a paleo approach. My interpretation of this is food as close to their natural state as possible, to whatever degree by whomever is doing the shopping. My budget doesn’t allow for grass fed meat most of the time, doesn’t mean I’m not paleo. Allowances have to be made for living in the 21st century.

(eat more) #11

while i’m not him…OP didn’t say that you or the rest of the world shouldn’t care…just that it isn’t important to him…that’s what works for him.
posted in keto chat (not activism) so i don’t see it as an implied directive or a criticism of what others do

i once saw a man freak out in costco because all of the frozen veggies were organic…he didn’t care about organic and didn’t want to pay more because they were organic.
he wasn’t telling anyone else that organic was good/bad but he did want a choice.

(Jake P) #12

We can all agree on bacon.

(Bacon for the Win) #13

exactly. Everyone is going to have different aspects that are important to them. No sense in getting all worked up about another’s choices. Do what’s best/works for you and carry on.

(Paul Jaeger ) #14

This is exactly what I was trying to be careful to avoid. I am seriously concerned about keto becoming the next “gluten free”. I am not bashing what he’s doing. I say as much. Tell me how I could have done it differently? If nobody thinks this is a concern, great. It’s empowering to know that a change in diet that can all but cure the laundry list of ailments being treated by an already overtaxed healthcare system is going to be under a great deal of scrutiny. The potential to help so many people is very much dependent on keto not getting kneecapped like Atkins.
John, to reiterate, this is not bashing in any way. It is a response in terms of my concerns about muddying the waters about keto. This forum is so helpful, and so full of information. I learn something new almost every day about the science and tips and tricks here. I want it to continue to help people no matter how the results are achieved and as far as I can tell, sticking to the basics is important, and doesn’t need any special food, medicine or therapy.

(eat more) #15

no…
ppl that want help will seek out information regardless of what the media, blogosphere, friends, friend of a friend, brother, sister, dog, or cat thinks keto is
as far as i know atkins works very well for some ppl…ppl that have chosen to inform themselves and not just go with “my cousin said i could eat whatever i wanted as long as it isn’t bread…mostly bacon and cheese though”

worrying that something is going to happen usually causes it to happen…there is no spoon

again not the OP but… that could have been the point :blush:

(Gaby Abed) #16

So, to clarify my original post, I have an aversion to being nitpicked.

I tell people I’m doing broth from a can, I get a lecture about too many preservatives, even though the broth helps. When I tell people on some groups about the veggies I eat, once in a while I get the anti-GMO pitch.

Keto, like all other non-mainstream dietary movements, has the potential to divide into two camps: those earnestly looking to change and those incorporating it into their already established alternative health viewpoints.

Those who thrive on keto, or low carb, or vegetarianism, or whatever, have better success helping others when they take on the mantle of teacher instead of preacher.

I’m just going to leave it at that. :slight_smile:

I hear what you’re saying @TravellingBeard. I’ve been hassled by paleo folks for enjoying peanut butter, soy sauce and precooked bacon. There was the infamous baby corn incident of 2016 back in the Facebook group. :corn::corn::corn::corn: I say live and let live!

(Larry Lustig) #19

Baby corn!

Slowly I turned, step by step. . .

(jketoscribe) #20

I’ve come a very long way over time. When I first did an LCHF diet, I lost a ton of weight, but I still ate (small, and carefully counted servings) of bread and pasta, plenty of processed food, drank wine with dinner, even had the occasional treat. I had Dana Carpender’s original low carb cookbook and thought nothing of eating soy in various forms, vital wheat gluten in recipes, etc.

Over time things “evolved”. I thought there was no way I was sensitive to grains (especially gluten grains) but on a dare I tried going grain free for 30 days. I woke up one morning realizing I was pain free for the first time in a decade and thought it was a fluke until I added grains back in my diet and the pain came roaring back.

I got a meter and learned what certain foods were doing to my blood glucose levels. I read up on soy and GMO’s and the pesticides used in industrial ag and decided to eliminate them. I learned to make fermented foods and their value.

I never say I do these things to be holier than anyone. I just have learned a lot for myself over the years of doing keto/lchf. I’m still learning all the time, thanks to people who post about these issues and share their own experiences.

Absolutely do what works for you. Expect that may change over time as you get to know your body and learn more. As long as you don’t stubbornly cling to conventional wisdom just because you’ve decided to dig your heels in, you’ll be fine.