Protein in pork skins?

(Chris W) #21

I do count the protein in pork rinds towards my numbers, but I have my protein target set somewhat high at 1.6-1.8 g/kg LBM in the context of a ZC keto diet and fairly intense exercise 3x per week, so I still get plenty of complete protein. The collagen in pork rinds is said to be a good nutritional complement to muscle meat. In general, I include about 33g of pork rinds in my diet most days, which constitutes about 16g of my 130-140g protein target.

(Ken) #22

Mmmm. Barbeque pork rind dipped into spinach chip dip. The only thing that could make it better would be to wrap it in baconā€¦

(Troy) #23

Great info. Thanks

(Candy Lind) #24

Dang, I learn SO MUCH here! :heart_eyes:

(Stephen Muenstermann) #25

I Agree with Richard. When I did Keto over a year ago I was on it for 3 months and found that Pork Rinds had no effect to my program as a snack. I ate a 3 ounce Baken-ets bag almost daily as a evening snack. I lost 38 lbs in 90 days. If I would have counted the Pork Rinds as protein I would have cut back on my protein intake elsewhere and lost some serious muscle mass.

(Vic) #26

I am confused why would you not count it, Would one not count the protein from vegetables?

I mean most of us are eating meat daily, would that not complete the proteins like with vegetables?

Plant protein was my thought tooā€¦ Thatā€™s not complete either but it is proteinā€¦

Itā€™s good I donā€™t need to worry about these things as I eat plenty of good animal protein. And sometimes 100g plant protein (obviously not from vegetables). Well, an ocassional day doesnā€™t really matter anyway but I had times when I got a significant amount of protein from plants on keto. I still had a lot from animals and I was high enoughā€¦ It would be pretty stressful (and impossible for me) to focus on everything at once.

I know just a little about completing proteins, I could a bit advise some newbie not knowledgeable vegan who could afford more carbsā€¦ Not useful information for me. I never even heard about completing protein where the ā€œparticipantsā€ arenā€™t plantsā€¦