Protein in grams and protein in ounces

(Human) #1

Good list. [in reference to the list HERE ]

Not wanting to be a pedantic ninny but… I guess you mean 4oz of “meat”

Donna's Observations
(Meeping up the Science!) #2

Nope, I mean protein. Not all low carb protein is meat.

(Human) #3

[quote=“Donna, post:9, topic:5188”]Nope, I mean protein. Not all low carb protein is meat.
[/quote]
110g protein per meal? Wow, how many meals a day do you have with that much protein? I’m not sure what you mean by low carb protein. Protein is protein, carbs are carbs. There is no low carb protein or high carb protein.

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

Or I meant four ounces of a protein source. That’s ~28g per meal. Most nutritionists and food descriptions refer to “so many ounces of protein.” I have no idea where you even got 110g, as all animal and otherwise protein averages to 7g/ounce.

As for low carb protein, there are protein sources that are higher carb, primarily vegetarian. So yes, it’s possible to eat higher carb protein sources. Tofu is a low carb protein. Beans, quinoa, etc, are also protein sources, as well, used by vegetarians. They are high carb, rather than low carb, protein.

(Human) #5

Ok that makes more sense.

[quote=“Donna, post:12, topic:5188”]
I have no idea where you even got 110g[/quote]
Because 4oz is about 110g and you said

Which was why I queried it thinking you must mean a source of protein such as meat. But you again confirmed that

(Becky Searls) #6

Am I missing something here? Isn’t 4 oz of protein about 28 g of protein like @Donna explained ? (4*7) where is the 110 coming from?

(Human) #7

[quote=“beckyjoy, post:19, topic:5188, full:true”]Am I missing something here? Isn’t 4 oz of protein about 28 g of protein like @Donna explained ? (4*7) where is the 110 coming from?
[/quote]
No! 4oz of ANYTHING is 110g. An ounce is a measure of weight, same as a gram. There’s nothing special about protein.
1oz=28g
4oz=110g

4oz of bananas = 110g of bananas
4oz of meat = 110g of meat
4oz of protein = 110g of protein

However, and this is what I was trying to get Donna to correct above but I don’t think she got it either. 4oz of MEAT contains about 28g of protein.

So saying you try to get 4oz of protein per meal is very different to saying you try to get 4oz of a source of protein per meal which would be a very incorrect and misleading statement and which is why I don’t think it should be left uncorrected especially considering this is supposed to to be the tips from the oldies and this is a respected site mod.

Please someone back of up on this.

(Meeping up the Science!) #8

I got it - I was just ignoring the pedantry. :wink:

Here, we typically say “4 ounces of protein” which means meat by weight. I did not mean 4 ounces of the macronutrient protein by itself, and that meaning was clear to more or less everyone else. Obviously I meant 4 ounces of each type of protein - typically we refer to sources of protein (meat, fish, tofu, etc) as only protein.

(Human) #9

Well maybe you could correct your initial post then please which still says [quote=“Donna, post:1, topic:5188”]Try for at least 4 ounces of protein a meal[/quote]
When you say [quote=“Donna, post:21, topic:5188”]Here[/quote] do you mean the USA? Because anyone from a country that uses a metric system (ie the rest of the world) reads 4oz and will just do a mental conversion to grams without even thinking and what they will read is “Try for at least 110g of protein a meal” which is very wrong and probably a bit dangerous. That’s how I read it without even noticing. I wasn’t trying to be pedantic, I was trying to be gracious by putting myself down and so you could correct it without losing face. But I gave up in the end.

(Becky Searls) #10

I am unpracticed in the metric system to be sure…however I guess I thought it was clear bc it would be impossible to try for 110g protein per meal and still consider yourself keto…unless maybe you fast enough that you only eat once per day? So I guess I just assumed…but assuming does you know what! Apologies @Jason for the misunderstanding!

(Meeping up the Science!) #11

You understood what I meant correctly. Many of the admins are international and also understood correctly. Don’t even worry about it.

(Human) #12

I don’t understand why you’re being so belligerent that you can’t just put the words “source of” before the word “protein”. So that it’s clear, perhaps to a newbie, who comes here looking for tips from the oldies, because they know nothing about keto, because they don’t know that trying to eat 110g of protein per meal isn’t Keto. So they don’t try and chug down two protein shakes with each meal.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

I eat one meal a day and totes easily can consume 110 grams protein at once. Lol. Easily
FYI

(Human) #14

Exactly. 4oz protein in a meal is doable, but you wouldn’t want a newbie trying to do that 3X a day.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

@Jason
Do people eat three times a day?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #16

WHOA. Dude. Not nice. Why don’t you explain it for the newbies.
Oh wait, you just did :slight_smile:

(Human) #17

Exactly. I’ve done my best to put the record straight but if I were a newbie I doubt I’d read 30 posts of bickering between people. I’d read the first post and move on. Ok, I’m done, I’m out.

I thought we got rid of the douchebags with Facebook?

(Human) #19

What have I done wrong? The first post is misleading and incorrect. Written by a mod who is confused about how many grams in an ounce. I’ve tried to get it corrected. If that’s the wrong thing to do then I apologise. I tried self deprecating humour, I tried sarcasm, but nothing seems to be getting through. And now I’m the villain here as the mods close rank rather than just correct it. And to call someone a douchbag to their back… Really classy. I thought we’d got rid of the cabal with Facebook. It seems not.

(Meeping up the Science!) #21

I am pointing this out because you may not be aware: you are being far too literal and not nearly contextual enough. The majority of people have gotten the contextual nature of “4 ounces of protein.” Your rigid nitpicking on one detail on someone’s personal guidelines (note the headline says “Donna’s guidelines” which means it was never intended to be biblical doctrine) makes you appear like a cantankerous jerk at best, which you may not be aware of. I have refrained from replying in greater detail because it is irrelevent to me, largely, and I am only commenting now to give you some perspective out of respect. Frankly, your zealotry over one little phrase is sort of extreme and absurd. I work extensively with the metric system and am quite aware how many grams are in four ounces in the objective sense. When we talk about “eating protein, carbs, or fat” we almost always do so in the context of a gram-to-content ratio. This is understood on basically every single food forum on the entire internet regardless of country of origin.

Also, if we’re being nitpicky, 4 ounces is not 110 grams - it’s actually 113 grams and some change, in fact. If you are going to disagree, at least be correct with your measurements. One pound is 454 grams rounded up (453.5 technically).

If you object to my post, you’re welcome to write your own guidelines. In fact, I would encourage you to if you have experiences to share, as many perspectives are always valuable.

I haven’t bothered to edit it because the majority of people will get the context. If they dislike it they can ignore it. My feelings won’t be hurt. I also can’t be bothered to because, frankly, I don’t care if people are smart enough to read it. They are my personal guidelines.

I also am fascinated by human behavior, particularly on the internet. I feel no need to correct what does not need correcting. Typically people’s responses do all the work for me, in that regard.