Prolonged fasting 72 hours?

fasting

(Susan) #70

I can certainly relate to that question you put forth. I am in the same boat, thinking that. We are working towards success NOW though, so that is what really counts. Why are you torturing yourself with all this walking? Is it to get ready for the Fat Camp? Are they going to make you do rigourous exercises there?
How long is the Fat Camp? It is in September? Maybe the weather will be a bit cooler (hopefully) when you are at it. What country are you in? I noticed last night you were about 6 hours or so ahead of me time zone wise from a post you made, (when you said it was late and you were heading to bed and it was supper time for me) so are you in England?

I hate walking as well, I had to walk on Thursday to the bus stop and back again after (it is a 20 min or so walk each way) and my knees, legs, back are still killing me,( I am hobbling around here in a lot of pain) so I certainly hope that on the way to me losing the additional 120 or more pounds I need to lose that this changes (it must?) but for now, I just cannot walk. I really don’t know how you do it, but more power to you if it helps!

Congrats on getting to 48 hours, that is still great =). Keep on with your goals and victories =).

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #71

Fat camp is for 6 weeks. Starting in August. The walks are to get somewhat accustomed to using my body before I enter the camp. Because there they will put me to the test, I assume boot camp style. :smiley:

Three sets of exercises a day. Morning, mid day and after dinner. More relaxed during weekend, with only morning and mid day exercise.

But the intensity will be based on each persons situation on arrival. I think I’ve heard others say that they do put us into groups too, where the groups are based on the shape we are in, heart and lungs capacity most likely. So that even people with limited lung capacity or a ticker in bad shape will be able to work at higher intensity in the end of the stay. We work towards lower resting heart rate and a better working heart during movement. More oxygen in our blood and better working lungs, core muscle and better overall circulation in the body. Or at least that is my understanding ahead of time. What it is like we will know when I get there.

I think the only thing that has helped me during the walks is the embarrassing slow pace I keep. And I bring a chair. That chair is kind of a mental thing too, just knowing it is there makes the walk more bearable.

Also when I walk in nature it is not paved paths, its more like tiny single tracks on top of kind of soft ground. So that might help lessening the stress for the joints and the back, and I also uses quality shoes. My doctor been on me for years for doing this types of walks, because she claims these types of tracks where the foundation is not level, where you must lift on foot higher then the other to avoid roots, rocks or holes will help with my lower back problems. I don’t know about that, I sure haven’t seen or felt any of that improvement yet :smiley:

My next door neighbor asked me about the back pain today, when I parked the car and removed the backpack he started asking me about it. Before I think the only thing he seen me lug out of the car has been, beer cases, 24 packs of pepsi cola or grocery bags with sweets and treats.

He said that maybe I was so focused on all the stuff I feel I need to do before camp that the clear focus is overpowering any pain from joints or back, he ment I should be careful walking around. Most likely he was thinking more of me dying alone in the woods from a heart attack then my joint and back problems. That’s the life of a fat guy, everyone knows better and they all have great advises about to fix things. If I ever get slim, like a normal guy slim the one thing I will never do, is giving people advises regarding their weight or health unless they ask me for advice.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #72

I look at that interaction and see a neighbor who probably likes you and is concerned about you. I like that. If he isn’t giving you the support you need right now, letting that wash off your back is fine. You do it the way you want. This way of eating and way of life is to help you be your healthiest and happiest. It’s long term; it’s a change that will shift the rest of your life into a way that makes and keeps you vital.
It’s possible that as you continue eating healthier and moving more, you’ll find a way of getting that movement in that pleases you. It might even end up being walking! It’s so painful and embarrassing to you atm that you don’t enjoy it. I get that! But over time, as your body starts to heal and get to a healthier place, the pain will lessen and you’ll feel more energetic.
God, I think this has swerved into soapbox territory! Sorry.
You are determined to get healthy. Keep going. :hugs: You’re amazing…

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #73

Imagine that, me a casual walker. A Sunday stroller. Or a late evening dog walker. :smiley:
But you are right, I might actually learn to enjoy it, and make a daily thing of it. I did quit smoking one day, never thought of quitting and just woke up one day and was done with it.

One thing I look forward to is actually how it will be easier to move, how the body will do work without me feeling like I am about to crap out. I don’t really know what kind of activities I would like to exploit, as I have not done any for so long now. But there are lots of different thins to try out at camp, maybe I find something I can stick to, something I can do to keep exercising without it feeling so much as an exercise session, something that gives me joy just by doing the activity.

Yeah I might be a little too sensitive and touchy about getting advice about my weight, the way I eat etc, it is just that it does get old, and I have been getting those advice for more then two decades. Even from people I barely know, or complete strangers at airplanes or whatever.

And when it occur I feel like that is more of a way of presenting themselves as superior to me then it is about them caring about my health or well being.

Anyway that is how I feel, I might not be correct, or I could even be completely wrong about it. But the feelings are still the same. And I really just feel like telling them bluntly to fcku off. But of course I don’t, I am no villain. Getting advice like that does nothing good for me, it’s not like that was the reason for me to start keto. Or try to change me way of life. All it does is building up more shame and self loathing. Yeah I really hate that.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #74

And you might be right. People do lurve to give unwanted advice! No matter, though, as what’s important is you making yourself healthier despite people interfering. At least here, you have people who do want to support you for real.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #75

So another 72 hours fast is coming up in about 11 hours. I will have breakfast an lunch before clock starts ticking. I was unsure if I should do a 48 hours fast like last time or go 72 hours, but in light of that discussion about of prolonged fasting benefits I’ve decided to 72 hours fast for maximum benefits.

I haven’t really prepared in any way this time either. Except I will try to get two meals down tomorrow before starting the fast. And because I am already late to bed I might not start in 11 hours, could be 13 hours from now. But the one thing that is certain is I will do another fast. I need more of those stem cells, and autophagy.

I’ve just cooked a slab of pork belly to have for breakfast tomorrow, with sour creme and avocado. Most likely I have that for lunch too. Should fill me up pretty good, and I was very generous with the salt last night, and had the pork belly take in the salt and pepper for about 24 hours.

As before I will try to remember to post update every 12th hours or so. Black coffee and water for 72 hours. I plan to do the walks on both saturday and sunday. As before I will walk very slowly. IT as much about slicing time and get some good nature vibes rather then just sit around and thinking about not eating. But of course I am also trying to ease into getting used to the physical work that goes into walking with a heavy body that is totally out of shape.

Still haven’t dialed in that breaking the fast part yet. I guess I will do what I’ve done the other times. Start “easy” with eggs, avocado, sour creme and some bacon. Haven’t had issues eating that after fast so I guess I just keeping doing it until I take the time to read up on how to actually break fast.

Heading to be to catch some z’s. Will post an update in about 22-24 hours.

(Susan) #76

Me too! I just completed a 73 hour one yesterday. I wish you much success and I know you can do this, you are doing really great with all of you goals =).

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #77

Great. So good to hear. You got heart momo. Keep doing what you do. We are gonna be much healthier versions of ourselves a year from now. Heck even in 6 months we will be much healthier.

Turning in now, have a great night whenever you turn in :wink:

(Susan) #78

Thanks! Yes we are! I agree =) Good night, sleep well =).

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #79

Ok, an early update as I’ve been so busy today I am really tired&beat and must turn in early. So I had breakfast & lunch toady. My day started way too early and I was off to work a little past 7 but it should have been closer to ten according to plans, but hey. Tell people your plans and see what happens, right? :smiley:

Well at least that was such an early start so I could have me lunch at 11.30 so fast started at noon. Been 10 hours now only but I got too little sleep last night and had a heavy work load today so I am all done now and can barely keep my eyes open.

So much to do all day and night that I haven’t even thought of food. I’ve only had time for water. As before I salted heavy handed when preparing breakfast and lunch. So I think I am good. But for good measure I will take a teaspoon of salt with a glass of water when I get up in the morning. Then continue with black coffee and water until 72 hours. If I get hungry this time I will try to add another tea spoon of salt. And of course I take mu blood pressure pill, and D+B vitamin prescription strength and multivitamin pill. That will be all for the next 62 hours.

Tomorrow I will do my walk. Just as slow as before, but I might try to add some minutes if I feel up to it. Anyway, I’ll bring my chair and water so if I need a rest I will unfold the chair and enjoy nature. Will try to give a brief update after my walk tomorrow.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #80

So the fasting is going like a dream so far. Closing in on 30th hour now and I felt no discomfort at all. Feel sharp, or mentally agile maybe. I had some work to complete this morning, and it was like nothing. Being plagued by phone calls several times during the work session didn’t make me loose the flow, and as I hung up I could go right back into the work like it was nothing. I often get distracted if I have to stop during deep thoughts or hard focus work. Could be the quality sleep I got or could be the fast. Don’t know which but I am thankful I’ve slept so good the first night of the fast.

I drove to the same spot again for my walk. Chair and water of course, and today I had a new gizmo to try out. I found a “camel back” with straps attached at a store so I had to have it. And I could just velcro on the chair to that. I walked for about 36 minutes. I must have walked at a higher pace this time because I walked much further the I’ve done before. I didn’t get out of breath, or I mean I got a little winded but not nearly as much as I did the first time.

Breaking loose the chair was a pain, so I must alter the fastening. The camel back had to come off my back then I managed to pull the “release” velcro. Tomorrow I will try have it on one side. I also brought a thermo cup of black coffee, also velcro’d to the camel pack. Was a great time relaxing on the chair. A little clouded today so really really nice for walking. I had even remembered to bring the phone and ear plugs to enjoy some tunes while walking. When I rested I took in the sound of nature drank coffee and fueled up with water. The rest got really long, because I decided to try out a mindfulness app while resting. I got so relaxed I nodded of a tad, but the bells in the very end woke me straight up. :smiley:

The walk back I paced myself and did much slower, because the wind stopped dead and I didn’t wanna get into the car all soaked in sweat as I forgot my towel.

I don’t get long lasting pain after my slow walks. Sure I feel it the next day and the day after, but that is all in the muscle I guess. I used to get pain that felt it was coming from the core of the bones in my knees and hips, as well as pain from what felt the spinal column. Oc that was walking on paved streets. And with regular shoes. Guess those nature walks actually does make it easier on the joints and back, should have listen to my doctor years ago :frowning:

So far all I noticed has been muscle soreness. And in places l would never guessed would be activated while walking. Low to mid back, even some soreness in the midst of the belly, and at the very lowest part of the belly just upside you know what. Also soreness everywhere below the torso. Must be a shocking experience for the body to actually move by its own force again.

For tomorrows walk I will be more focused on keeping the slow pace both ways. No need to overdo things and end up with pains.

Any ideas what I could feed a family of ducks and a family of swans? They paddled by several times and each time the grown birds kept looking at me like they expect a treat. I don’t keep any bread around anymore, and I don’t trust myself to get one just for feeding the birds, I might end up chugging it all during the ride to the lake :smiley:

(hottie turned hag) #81

Paging @Shortstuff the waterfowl whisperer

(PJ) #82

Bread of any kind including tortillas (esp corn). They love grains of all kinds. Shelled small seeds, and allegedly even berries. If they are on water, something that will float is better obviously. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #83

Easiest thing is bread, ideally seeded or whole grain, but this is frowned on in some places. I also feed assorted grains, rolled oats are good for feeding in water as they float. You can also get special floating pellets which I spend a fortune on but I don’t know if these will be an option for you. Some will also enjoy leafy veg, peas and sweetcorn - I’ve seen video evidence of this but none of my guys have ever cooperated with that idea :joy:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #84

I will look for pellets, no chance I will ever pig out on pellets :smiley:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #85

Closing in on hour 60. Today started harsh. Hungry when I woke up. And the hunger kind of stuck’d. I even tried mindfullness to change my focus. Nothing. Coffee plain did nothing. I looked for ways to get some extra salt and finally I found a set of rolling papers for, well you know what. I packed in a good teaspoon of salt, maybe teaspoon and a half and made it into a small ball. It was a little hard swallowing but I manged to get in done and started to get ready for the walk.

Clouded today too, nice breeze. So I filled up the “camel-back-china-clone” topped my thermo coffee mug and went for a walk. On the drive over it started to rain. Just barely, so I didn’t mind. Shorts, t-shirt and good shoes. I even remembered to take a fresh towel.

Walked to the same spot I did yesterday. Unpacked and relaxed. Had coffee and water but nothing to share with the birds. Almost felt bad, but hey they are wild and they do know where to to score real food. So maybe I shouldn’t interfere with nature? It got cold just pondering lakeside so I decided to turn around and head back to the car. Before I was done velcroin’ the chair to the china backpack it got wet. It almost darkened outside and I was soaked in seconds.

Ended with me walking much faster back to the car, it was hard but at least all the sweat was washed away form the pouring rain. :smiley:

The return was probably the longest and fastest walk I’ve done the past decade, if not more. And lord and behold it didn’t kill me. The last 5 minutes of so I was really winded but I didn’t slow down because of the rain.

On my way back from the lake all I could think of was the pace I kept during the return walk. My mind was focused on getting shelter in the car, the rain was so heavy I didn’t notice I was sweating and I didn’t even notice the heavy breathing. I just kept plowing on. I wasn’t running or even jogging, but for me, that was really quick walking.

Could it be that my body is working better already? I’ve only done 6 walks so for. 2 walks every fasting weekends. During the feasting weeks I’ve not done walking. Except I used stairs and I tried to park the car further away from entrance doors. That’s it.

I am not sure if the return walk was because the body is getting more used to walking now, or if this was some “survival mode response” to get away from the rain.

As I am writing this I also notice hunger is not an issue anymore. Don’t really know when the hunger disappeared, if it was during the drive or when I started to walk. What caused the hunger to go away? Was it the salt I down’d or the shift in mental focus, first just sitting around at home, really soaking in all feelings and not being able to stopp the hunger, or did I finally get distracted when I started to pack for the walk, or when I drove over to the lake?

This is my third fast, and I must say sleeping seems to have stabilized during them fasts. Even today as I woke up hungry, the hunger didn’t not cause me to wake up. I woke because the alarm clock went off.

I am thinking this fasting could be doable if not each and every weekend at least most weekends. Fasting free up a lot of time, it saves a lot of money, it costs nothing and from what we can read online it comes with a huge array of benefits. Think this is a keeper. Though I will not let it come in the way of my social life. If there are BBQ’s, gathering around great food, festivitas, birthdays etc I might only do 48 hours fast, or maybe start a day early or late or whatever I can do to not let the fast control me and my social life. But I will still stay Keto at least now when I got two reasons for keto and fasting.

(Susan) #86

You are doing fantastic! Have you been weighing yourself after the Fasts as well, to see if you are losing weight? Or not worrying about the scales for now and just doing it all and will weigh later on?

Are you in England? I notice from when you say you are going to bed, etc. that you seem to be about 6 hours ahead of my time zone (I am in Ontario, Canada). Keep up the good work! I bet when you go to your Fat Camp, you will be in better shape then most of the other people, with all your walking you are doing, and having been Keto already for a while. I am guessing that some of the others might not be preparing like you are.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #87

The scale is not a daily routine, I step onto it now and then but I try to put all my energy into the doing part of keto, I figured that if I am strictly keto the result will come. I was on the scale last week and results are amazing, som much so I had tro create a thread about it :wink: proably in a week or so I will do another weigh in.

No not living UK. I don’t really like to be specific because I have been way more outspoken here on the forum then I ever been in my life. And I don’t think everybody needs to know everything about me, my struggles, my failures and my way back to a healthy life. This is not me being a dork, this is me caring about me. I hope you understand.

As far as the camp, I have no idea what to expect. And I don’t really worry too much about it. I try to keep my focus on what I can do and what I can change. What them other folks do or don’t really does not impact me so no point wasting time thinking about it.

The walks I’ve been doing have been so slow it would have embarrassing walking alongside a fit person. I started so slow because I am still in terrible shape, and it was even worse just a few weeks ago. Honestly, I was a little concern’d I’d have a heart attack during the first two walks. Luckily I didn’t. I also bring with me a chair so that I can get a nice comfortable rest before I turn around a walk back to the car. I didn’t start these walks to increase O2 uptake, or anything like that. It was just to slowly start to move so I knew I could before camp.

Today in the rain I just forgot to keep the tempo low, and just walked as briskly as possible back to the car, to get away from the rain.

By biggest concern at camp is injury or getting bad inflammations that will impact how much exercise I can absorb and how much I can participate. So that is the reason for the fasting. Upping the stem cells and reducing inflammation in the body and joints.

I remember about 8-10 years ago there was this trendy diet that was called 5-2 or something. Eat restricted two days a week and normal eating the other 5 and loose weight and stay slim.

I think we could take it further. 5-2 living, or even 4-3 living. But with fasting.

(mole person) #88

There are people on this site who have done 5/2 fasting. That’s five day fasts followed by two days of ad lib eating.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #89

Hm ok. That 5 day fast each week is not a long term goal for me. Because food is also a social activity and I might end up a recluse, living my life in solitude. :smiley:

But 5 days of eating and 2 days of fasting should be doable also long term. With most of the benefits from fasting as a regular thing.