(abandoned post)

(CCC) #1

abandoned post (people like to lecture, instead of having a decent conversation)

(Candy Lind) #2

We have a saying here - KCKO - Keep Calm, Keto On! I get the feeling you’re a little panicky about this whole “keto diet thing.” It’s understandable; it’s a huge change for most people.

It’s a great thing that you are focused on reading labels, but what would be even better would be to keep things really simple for the first week or two. There’s another post that really breaks this WOE (way of eating) down to it’s simplest form; it’s The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence. I think that it should be pinned to the top of the Newbies forum and is a must-read.

I will address only a couple of things on your list because I think you should concentrate your efforts elsewhere. Once you saw the carb content on the label, you should have thought, “It doesn’t matter how healthy I think this yogurt is, it’s not for me and my keto diet.” There are other ways to get the benefits of this yogurt without the carbs. You asked “where does the sugar come from?” It comes from lactose, the sugar naturally occurring in milk. Milk is a high-carb food and thus not acceptable on a keto diet. The rest of your questions will gradually be answered as you get into this way of eating and learn more about how things work.

Now, stop worrying about saturated vs. trans fats, potassium, calcium, cholesterol, sodium, and fiber, and go read Larry’s one-sentence explanation about this WOE. You’ll end up circling back with questions about all that as you acclimate yourself. There’s plenty of time … after all, you should be thinking about eating this way the rest of your life. We’re here to help, every day, every step!

(Rob) #3
  1. Yes
  2. The carbs are the carbs - 7.5% of your target if you are trying for 20g, less if you accept more carbs
  3. Sugar can be naturally occurring in the product but for most it doesn’t matter - all carbs become sugar in the body
  4. Ketonians don’t really care about calories. You eat until you are no longer hungry - 20g of carbs, moderate protein, fat to satiety - repeat mantra
  5. Protein is protein. Look at it as part of your daily macro (in grams rather than %) - 0.9g per 5t is nothing
  6. Saturated fat is stable fat - the best kind. It is high as a proportion of the fat in the product but the product is still pretty low fat - your 5t offer negligible fat
  7. Ca and K are electrolytes which you need for basic bodily processes. You need more K than usual on Keto due to it being a diuretic diet (you pee more out). Get more K from lite salt. Ca has equivocal evidence for its efficacy but that amount in food is negligible.
  8. Ketonians don’t care about dietary cholesterol. Keto improves blood lipids in almost every way regardless of dietary cholesterol consumption. If LDL gets worse in total it is usually big fluffy type which is not dangerous. Remember, most of the cholesterol you have is NOT from food - it is made in the liver.
  9. You probably can’t have too much salt - listen the the 2KD podcast on The Salt Fix. You should aim for at least 2x the recommended daily amount. You can’t OD since excess is pee’d out.
  10. You don’t need fiber, and certainly not in the amounts recommended. You only need that as a carb burner to make up for the damage constant carb burning does to your gut biome. Lots of Zero Carbers get no fiber and their bowels work very well.

TL:DR - don’t panic about food labels - focus on keeping carbs low, protein moderate and fat until full. In the beginning you will need to eat a lot of fat to stay full but it should decline over time especially if you have body fat reserves. KCKO

(CCC) #4

abandoned coment (people like to lecture, instead of having a decent conversation)

(Rob) #5

I don’t know enough about salt to help you more than I have. Some people need more to get over keto flu or through fasting, some need to cut back. You won’t know until you experiment on yourself.

BTW, you won’t get far on here dismissing people’s help like Candy offered. She was right about not obsessing over negligible nutrition which is what your example was. All the questions have a broader relevance in general to nutrition tracking but none of them are particularly important to the success and especially the early success of a Keto WoE. What is important is getting fat adapted - training your body to change from expecting carbs to expecting and using fat as fuel. Once you burn fat, you produce ketones and you can enter nutritional ketosis. Fat adaptation should be your #1 priority.

If you are eating to around 2000 calories then Carbs are only about 80 cal, Protein should be about 75-100g or 300-400 calories and the rest is fat (e.g. 1500 cal, 170g). That is the important thing… eat fat until you are satiated. In that context, nothing in 5t of yogurt matters.

I track everything in an App (I use LoseIt but many others exist like MyFitnessPal, Cronometer, etc.) which takes the pain out of tracking food and allows you to check things before you eat them from a nutrition perspective.

(CCC) #6

BTW, you won’t get far on here dismissing people’s help like Candy offered. She was right about not obsessing over negligible nutrition which is what your example was.

No, my question had absolutely nothing “obsessive”, or “panicking” (as both you and Candy said before). It’s even insulting to make up such things. Candy also assumed, without asking, I should be a mumbling idiot with no idea what this “keto diet thing” is. Just because I was new …on this forum?

I very politely dismissed her help (and I’ll do it with your now) as long as you try to make up cartoonish characters and pretend you address their needs.

Finally, I don’t know how to take this “you won’t get far on here” when I was so polite and focused. I came here looking for respectful discussions on specific topics. Not to absorb insults and take care of egos. If that’s the kind of forum you have - and I’ll figure it out from the next comments - I can only wish you good luck. There are many Keto discussion boards with newcomers treated way better…

(Rob) #8

Sorry - abandoned

(Richard Morris) closed #9

(Richard Morris) unlisted #10

(Richard Morris) #11

I have closed and unlisted this thread because the OP made the thread useless to anyone lurking interested in the conversation, by deleting their message.