Problems after eliminating artificial sweeteners

(THERESA PITTS) #1

About 3 weeks ago, I give up all artificial sweeteners. I have been consuming at 2 tsp of salt a day to keep up with my electrolytes. In the past few days, I have been waking up with my face very puffy and have gained 5 lbs. I know this weight is inflammation or water weight. Yesterday, I developed a terrible headache and became very lethargic. Consuming another 1/4 tsp of salt solved the headache and lethargic feeling. Does this indicate that sweeteners were keeping me inflamed, so that I didn’t need as much additional salt in my diet? Now that I have eliminated them, I have a higher salt requirement?

Just grasping at straws here.

TIA

(Edith) #2

Were your artificial sweeteners in diet soda or coffee? If so, does that mean you inadvertently gave up caffeine at the same time? It sounds almost like caffeine withdrawal.

Edith

(Darlene Horsley) #3

What type of salt? Wondering if you don’t need potassium and magnesium as well. And I agree with Edith that this does sound like caffeine withdrawal.

(THERESA PITTS) #4

I gave up coffee when I started Keto in March 2017. I switched to hot tea, but only 1 or 2 cups per day, instead of almost a full pot of coffee. I’m still drinking hot tea (switched sweetener for Hwc). The rest of the time I drink water. Salt is normal table salt.

Occasionally, I will supplement with magnesium citrate.

I’ve increased my salt by another 1/2 tsp and the puffiness is almost gone. But, no access to scale, so I don’t know if the water weight has come off yet.