Primary care-led weight management for remission of type 2 diabetes (DiRECT): an open-label, cluster-randomised trial

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Clare, Clare, Clare! The shakes are a product you can sell to people! You can’t make any money telling them just to eat decent food! (shaking head) :grinning:

(Clare) #22

Duh!

What was I thinking? :joy:

(bulkbiker) #23

Also his criteria is not a return to “normal metabolic function” it is an HbA1c of 48 or less. So quite a few (all) could still be pre-diabetic and he would claim “success”. Now I wouldn’t say that was success would you?

(VLC.MD) #24

To view the original document … go to …

http://sci-hub.la
type in the URL

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)33102-1/fulltext

New URLs are posted on wikipedia

(Clare) #25

Er, no

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

Thanks, Doc! That was an interesting read. They are assuming that it was the weight loss that “reversed” the Type II diabetes (or rather made the subjects pre-diabetic), not the reduction of insulin resulting from the decreased intake of carbohydrate. I’d love to see any comments Dr. Phinney or Dr. Fung may have about this study. It seems to fall within the purview of each one’s research.

P.S.—I am glad to see such robust P numbers in this study, I have to say. It sounds as though, whatever the explanation of their results is, their observations are well-founded.

12 month RCT Ketogenic diet vs Standard of diabetic care (moderate carb low calorie)
(Mel Soule) #27

Incredible. Thank you my resourceful friend. My lips are sealed as Sargent Schultz would say “…I know nothing…I see nothing…”

Uh no, not in my experience and that of most people I know who have lost weight. I lost 60 lbs in 2010 on a moderate carb no gluten or flour diet. I kept it off until 2013 and then gained all but 11 pounds back. I did not go back to deliberately eating sad but I did not care as much, stopped exercising and had stopped losing and would cheat a bit. My caterer lost 86 and gained it all back and then some

As for the study, why are they better at reversing T2 than fasting would be?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Because they can charge for the shake; fasting is free.

It is good you are not cynical :grinning:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

The check is in the mail.

This bridge is for sale, and I can get you a deal on it; I know the owner.

Of course those pants don’t make your butt look big!