Possible keto flu

I’m not feeling well. I’ve lost 14 lbs on keto in a month and this is week 5. Somehow I feel tired, weak and can’t concentrate or study. Brain fog seems to be there. I’m at a loss to know why this happened. What should I do now? Should I break keto tonight for some carb food to feel better? Or is there another way?

I’m not food deprived on keto. I have been eating lots of high saturated fats and very low carbs, along with moderate protein. I also take centrum vitamin pill. I don’t think this is because of low calories or lack of food. Should I eat more even though I have no appetite right now?

I just want to get out of this terrible flu phase.

Your body is essentially going through withdraw from eating carbs, so the last thing you would want to do is eat some more carbs. (It’s kind of akin to telling a drug addict to take some drugs to deal with the withdraw of not being on the drugs.)

Edit: You need to make sure you’re taking enough sodium, about 2-1/2 teaspoons a day. (This edit was not influenced by @PaulL, whatsoever. :smirk:)

You’ll want to make sure you have enough electrolytes. You can try this recipe for KetoAide, that might help, or try some magnesium and potassium supplements. Just be sure not to take more then the recommended dosage.

But it should clear up in a day or two. Just knowing what’s happening helps a lot to deal with how you’re feeling. Hang in there!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Keto “flu” is completely preventable. It is a symptom of lack of sodium. When we stop eating carbohydrate, the kidneys return to their normal, faster rate of excreting sodium, so we have to work at keeping our salt intake up. The U.S. dietary recommendation for sodium is far too low, by the way; we actually need about 5 grams a day, which works out to about 2-1/2 teaspoons of table salt. Be sure to drink to thirst.

This may seem like a lot of salt, but it does include the salt naturally present in your food. Bear in mind that if you keep your sodium intake at the correct level, it will not only keep you at your healthiest, it will automatically cause your body to regulate potassium, magnesium, and calcium at the proper levels, too. It will also lessen your sugar cravings. For more information, read The Salt Fix, by James Dinicolantonio, Ph.D.

Greetings from a Cheesehead! Intro and a question about leg pain

@PaulL I love how you can take my general simplicity and turn it into scientific precision. :smile:

I’m just going to start taking your posts, and re-posting them as mine. :wink:

I also have stomach pains

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Are you taking a probiotic? I used to eat so much yogurt, before going keto and when I started I stopped eating it. Started getting stomach pains. I take a probiotic cap every couple of days and it helps keep my gut happy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Feel free! :rofl:

(Butter makes everything better) #8

Can someone please give me an idea how long this keto flu last? I am adding more salt. I have been in keto for 10 days, I have been feeling tired, foggy, just plane blah😞
Thank you

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

The keto flu that is a symptom of low sodium should go away as soon as you get some salt into your system. (Remember to drink to thirst!)

There is also a sense of lacking energy and being tired that is related to the changeover from burning glucose to burning fat. That process takes 6 to 8 weeks to be fully finished (sometimes a bit longer), but it’s a gradual change, not like suddenly throwing a switch. You should start to feel at least a tad more energetic in a few days. Unfortunately, fat-adaptation depends on certain changes that take place at the cellular level, and these changes simply take the time they take. Hang in there, you’ll be fine.

(Butter makes everything better) #10

Thank you for your help and encouragement.