Polyunsaturated fats cause diabetes?

(Bunny) #30

Dr. J. Fung did a little review on Dr. Robert Lustig’s 2009 video called: “The Deadly Effects of Fructose” what is so scary is how silent HFCS is…the liver turning it directly into visceral fat, no insulin needed? I do wonder if that’s possible without insulin? Dr. Lustig said himself in one of his presentations that: “…glucose blood sugar levels are not the same-thing as insulin levels or chronically elevated levels of insulin? …” I would think the chronically elevated levels of insulin (i.e. HOMA-IR?) would be from the fatty liver (NAFLD) and fatty pancreas? Two different types (WAT & VAT) of fat storage going on? Insulin type of fat storage and the HFCS type?

After burner affect?

“…Fructose, which neither raises blood glucose nor insulin was considered more benign than other sweeteners for many years. An all-natural sweetener found in fruit that didn’t raise the Glycemic Index sure sounded healthy. But it had a hidden dark side, one that was not obvious for many decades.

The toxicity of fructose could not be seen by looking at the blood sugars, only by looking at the slow accumulation of fat in the liver. The key was the fatty liver. …” - Dr. J. Fung
image image image

Note: ”…Free fructose vs. naturally occurring: So, too much fructose is no good. However, it is important to differentiate between free or added fructose over the fructose packaged into whole foods. It is generally agreed that consuming fructose when encased in its natural form, such as in fruit and vegetables, isn’t of concern. …” …More

Fat cells live for 10 years, where is the science
More new studies to counter

5.2 mmol/L so quickly actually sounds rather concerning to me, particularly along with your other symptoms. You’re not a Type 1 Diabetic are you (or something with a similar ketone affect)? I suppose if you can’t move the ketones into where they are needed for use that might also result in them hanging around in the blood more. I’m guessing if you have all these numbers and info you are working with a doctor on this one.

But yea, that illustrates the point that there isn’t really a one size fits all. A ‘well formulated ketogenic diet’ (as Phinney likes to say, distinguishing from a hap hazard one which can cause problems due to deficiencies and other issues) seems to be great for a large chunk of the population, perhaps even most, but with anything there’s always some subset of the population that is different for one reason or another and needs to do things differently.

(Scott) #33

I often wonder if a part of the genetic connection is that the kids will likely have a similar diet as the parents.

I haven’t heard from many people getting that high even on some extended fasts, nor with daily deficits. I have heard of people getting that high, yea (may have done so myself but my measurements weren’t definitive enough to say), but it usually takes a while and they aren’t eating as much carbs in between as you mentioned.

But hey, everyone’s bodies act differently.

(Carl Keller) #37

Type 2 diabetes

A combination of insulin resistance and an inadequate capacity to secrete insulin leads to the development of type 2 diabetes, with adiposity a critical risk factor. Prospective studies report little association between total fat consumption and risk of diabetes but an association may exist, as with cardiovascular disease, for type of fat. The findings of a few short term feeding trials (usually lasting four weeks, with some up to 16 weeks) that assessed intermediate endpoints support this evidence. Evidence from randomised controlled trials suggests that industrially produced trans fats increase inflammatory factors and adversely affect lipid levels, but no inconclusive evidence was found for an effect on markers of glucose homoeostasis.3839 Evidence from prospective studies suggests that intake of industrially produced trans fats is positively associated with the incidence of type 2 diabetes, while the intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids is inversely associated.440 More specifically, a blood biomarker of the most abundant omega 6 fatty acid, linoleic acid, is inversely associated with the incidence of type 2 diabetes.4142Despite promising studies in animals, diets rich in marine omega 3 fatty acids have not been shown in humans to reduce insulin resistance or the incidence of type 2 diabetes. However, biomarker studies point to an inverse association between blood omega 3 fatty acids (alpha linolenic acid) derived from plants and type 2 diabetes.4143Because the type of dietary carbohydrate may also affect the risk of diabetes, any relation between dietary fat and type 2 diabetes may depend on the quantity and quality of carbohydrate as well.

https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2139