Please critique my food-a typical day

(Laura) #21

How’s your thyroid? 9 hours a night seems like a lot for your age. I am on synthroid for hypothyroidism and I sleep more than others my age.

That could be keeping you from losing weight too.

(Kathleen Rose) #22

I need to correct my post. I calculated 140 lbs = 64 kg x 1.5 = 96 grams of protein per day so I’m over on that as well as fat. Thanks for pointing this out.

(Kathleen Rose) #23

I do have a Fitbit that my daughter gave me for my birthday last year. It has malfunctioned and the company has replaced it 3 times. It just stops recording information. I became disillusioned with trying to use it. I’ll give it another shot per your suggestion.

(mole person) #24

Also, if at that protein level you aren’t losing weight, one tweak is to go lower. The dudes recommend between 1 and 1.5 grams of protein. I’ve always stuck to 1 gram and like it there. Jason Fung, who I admire greatly, argues that people with significant weight to lose actually need closer to .6 grams/kg since they are not only losing fat but also all the protein structures that support all that fat (eg. extra skin). If you eat too much protein while losing fat you give you body no reason to catabolize that excess protein.

(Seth S.) #25

I just wanted to say, I think you’re doing great, and I hope you’re not experiencing too much stress over this. I remind myself often that I didn’t get fat overnight and won’t get un-fat overnight either. It’s hard to remember though – the days can be so long!

I only have two pieces of advice, not that I’m qualified to dispense advice, but from one fellow-traveler to another. First, I echo other people in cutting back in the fat – at least on some days of the week – so your body has a chance to burn body fat. “The Obesity Code” (and even moreso, the podcast of the same name) really helped me understand this better.

My second thing is - have you had a sleep study done? It sounds like you might have sleep apnea, because someone who’s getting 9 hours of sleep plus a good keto diet shouldn’t ordinarily be getting sleepy every afternoon. Don’t be afraid of getting the study, because treatments for apnea have gotten a lot better – a friend uses this nightguard type thing in his mouth to keep his upper and lower jaw aligned correctly when he sleeps (sounds worse than it is) and his sleep (and wake) have gotten much much better.
Good luck! Be proud of your progress!

I have never added fat.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #27

I second the sleep study. My study changed my life. Not getting good quality sleep will affect your weight loss. It can even prevent you from losing weight.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

I think getting a bit hungry is a normal thing that we in the western world seem to be afraid of. Hence the grazing and snacking our culture seems to be obsessed with. Ride with your hunger and embrace it. You should be fairly hungry when you eat your next meal and snacking just seems like squeezing an extra meal into the day when you add it up. You have to be running on a deficit of caloric intake to lose weight on any type of diet you’re living on. I know that most people who do this diet have their caloric intake fall in line on a high fat diet since they naturally get less hungry and are not riding the sugar roller coaster. But if you’re not loosing on you current regimen you need to do the tweak thing. For me it was less meat/eggs/cheese. Increased veggies and fermented veggies. I had already been using a liberal amount of fats. I have never documented or kept track of macros, but I just looked at my progress and when things stalled I modified my meals a bit. I think that initially I was overeating because of the retoric of the “you don’t need to be hungry Atkins approach”. But hunger is normal and natural at times during the day. Just don’t respond to it prematurely. Try drinking a large glass of water and seeing if you’re still hungry 15 minutes later. You may forget about it altogether. Also I find when I’m sitting around watching TV, reading or internet surfing when I get the urge to nap getting up and doing something where I am moving and doing something productive I forget about hunger and the sleepiness goes away. Use that impulse as an indicator that you need to switch up you current activity.

I love avocados and often they are available in bags of mini size. I find these satisfying and you don’t have to deal with a cut fruit going brown the next day. But when I buy a large haas I will eat 1/2 or even 1/4 and press plastic against the flesh to stop oxidation while in the fridge. If you leave the seed in there’s less surface to cover and you will only need to scape a thin layer off to get to the green flesh. Best of luck and please don’t stress over your weight in at the doctor, it just is bad for you and will not be helpful at all. I used to fall asleep in the late afternoon often before keto, but it seems to have stopped for me. I get about 6-7 hours a night now which is better than I did eating carbs. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with cramps in my arms and legs like clockwork and could not get back to sleep without some crackers or a piece of toast. Now in the past after 4 months on the Keto Lifestyle (not a diet!). The way that I feel now is enough to convince me that this is the way I should LIVE.

Sorry did I accidentally tag you? I am still figuring the board out. The OP said she added fat. i just wondered what the diet was like before.
I grew up in the artic. We ate a lot of animal (sea and land) fats. I still love it. One of those pleasures in life (well my life at least)

Ah no problem.

(Kathleen Rose) #31

Been doing a lot of thinking about this after reading all your posts. Lowering the fat and protein turns this into a low carb, low calorie diet. When I stopped eating fruit and dairy (except for HWC) and added fatty meat I stopped losing weight. I’m going back to counting calories on MFP. That’s what worked for me.

(Ethan) #32

88/22 meat? So do you pay for the extra 10%? Lol

I love this and it so works!
Sometimes I do this when I’m preparing a meal …I’ll have a little something, and then I turn around and I really don’t want to eat the whole meal anymore which is fine I can save it for later!
And yeah, personally, i wouldnt drink my calories unless your’e doing a fat fast.
Good luck and let us know the results and what you did.
As another woman on keto that’s so close to my goal size, I think as a women to another woman…we all like to know what works to trim off that rest of those few pounds!