Plateaued

(Jeffery Yeider) #1

I have no trouble with the ketogenic lifestyle. I’ve lost 17 lbs in the first 14 days. 205 to 187. I have 25 more to go to my target. I’m 5’8" 65 years. I’ve always been extremely athletic, in every sport. 30 months ago, after a quick 75 mile, 4 day 3 night cross country high altitude solo backpacking adventurer, I developed a chronic DVT. Almost died. I couldn’t maintain my normal lifestyle, fell into a deep depression, and other medical problems. I gained 40 pounds.
I haven’t lost anymore weight in the past 5 days. My mmol/l is 6
I feel great. But I’m still fat, with a slab of bacon fat on my belly.
Here’s my meal plan
Ketochow shake for breakfast. HB egg or avocado snack.Factor meal lunch. Real Ketonnes grape slushy snack. A low calorie high protein meat with either cauliflower, broccoli asparagus dinner.
Why have I stopped losing weight?
Thanks for any thoughts

Did you?
I only see you writing no loss in 5 days… That’s not a stall, obviously… If you just came back, wait for 1-2 months to say you stall… (Though with your fat gain and past experiences, I would expect better… But a few weeks is nothing.)

I don’t understand your meal plan but maybe you need your snacks and tiny meals, I can’t possibly know. And don’t go too low with calories, whatever it means for you. You have enough extra fat to get much energy from it but you need your food too. But it’s very individual if one can handle a big calorie deficit. You can expect your fat-loss slowing down with time but for now, you probably will lose fat just fine if you eat right. But fat-loss and weight-loss isn’t linear or always proportional to calorie deficits so a tiny stall shouldn’t phase you. The body may have other things to do anyway, IDK how that works, in my family eating at a deficit always means immediate and even somewhat calculable fat-loss as far as we can tell (it’s impossible to guess/calculate well our energy need or even energy intake and humans aren’t even calorimeters and it’s not always sure, what we lost/gained, water, muscle, fat) but not everyone is that simple.

(UsedToBeT2D) #3

17 lbs in 14 days. Sounds to me like your body has decided that your starving. Eat more.

(Robin) #4

I think you are rushing things. It will kick in again.
But here is what caught my attention:
Ketochow shake for breakfast. HB egg or avocado snack.Factor meal lunch. Real Ketonnes grape slushy snack. A low calorie high protein meat with either cauliflower, broccoli asparagus dinner.

That’s quite a lot of contrived “keto” food. Sticking to the real deal is always best. And you don’t mention the ratio of veggies to meat. Meat should be the star, if possible.

Glad you are back on plan. It’s too soon to call it a stall. And if it is a stall, you just ride those out. They happen.

Happy you’re here. You got this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Even when we eat a low-carb diet, our body will still hang on to fat, if we don’t eat enough. This is a reflex designed to get us safely through times of famine. You will see plenty of posts here from folks who found that their fat loss didn’t really get going until they started eating more, not less. Also, it is possible to gain lean mass while shedding fat, so don’t use the scale number as your only indicator of progress.

Lastly, fat loss is not a linear process, so don’t expect it always to be continuous and at the same rate.

(Allie) #6

Why all the processed keto junk? Just eat real food, there’s absolutely no need for any products or gimmicks on a keto diet.

Are you tracking your food to make sure you’re eating enough? Keto is not a low calorie diet and your body needs an adequate amount of fuel to function correctly.

Not losing weight for five days is not a stall. You’ll have days when you gain too, all part of the process.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_what_will_my_weight_loss_progress_look_like.3F

It can be common to drop weight quickly when starting (and to regain it quickly when stopping). That’s because when you start keto, you have a lot of stored carbohydrate energy (glycogen). Glycogen binds water to it. So as you lose those glycogen stores, you also lose the water bound to them.

Now reverse that when you quit keto – your glycogen stores start accumulating again and bind water to them. Quick weight gain.