Physiological insulin resistance woes

(Chelsy Iorio) #1

I’ve been low carb for a while, but am about 2 weeks into a ketogenic WOE. A week ago, I had my first signs of physiological insulin resistance (I didn’t know what physiological insulin resistance was at the time so I was totally freaking out!), but it looked like full blown hyperglycemia fit- dizzy and lightheaded, disoriented, peeing every hour and having to drink over 100 oz of water a day to keep from dehydrating. There’s a warm sensation in my inside of my head. I had to leave work twice because of it. The only way I have found to fix/avoid it is to eat, so I’m eating a lot all day, but I’m still feeling dizzy/lightheaded and disoriented throughout the day.

I understand that physiological insulin resistance is normal but I feel like my symptoms are problematic, unduly disruptive, and extremely uncomfortable. It is very difficult for me to function like this.

I don’t know if it’s too soon to try to take action, but I’m wondering if anyone can shed any insight into possible solutions to make this stop.

Can I ask why you think these are symptoms of physiological insulin resistance? Have you checked your blood sugar when you have these feelings & is it much higher than usual?

It sounds more to me like either low/lower than usual blood sugar or a lack of sodium.

(Edith) #3

I think you may be confused about physiological insulin resistance, which I shall use PIR. As you eat a ketogenic diet, your muscles get to the point where they can use fatty acids for their energy instead of glucose. The muscle cells become insulin resistant, so they do not take up glucose, thus saving it for the cells that only only use glucose including the part of the brain that needs more than ketones. There shouldn’t be any adverse symptoms of PIR, it is just a sign of being fat adapted.

The problem occurs if you need to have a glucose tolerance test done, because your body gets shocked by the sudden influx of sugar. Since the body is used to keeping the insulin levels much lower with keto, it is slower to respond and sugar levels take longer to return to normal.

I think your symptoms may be lack of salt. You need to be getting approximately five grams of sodium a day, that is a little over two teaspoons of salt. You need to be salting your food and supplementing with salt water, salted broths, or even bouillon.

(Raj Seth) #4

Exercise caution with salted H2O - In my early days of fasting, I was slugging liters of water zinged up with some Frank’s hot sauce and salt. Disaster pants well worthy of a Walmart shoppers video. And I was in a hotel lobby on work travel. After that I went to plain water, and salt directly in mouth (per Megan Ramos’ suggestion)

(Edith) #5

Humm, if I don’t feel like taking the time to sip a nice cup of broth or bouillon, I put 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water and chug it down. I haven’t had any issues, although I will admit, it does not taste great. Maybe I will try hot sauce and see if it has the same effect. :wink:

By the way @Rajseth, I always enjoy your posts.

(Raj Seth) #6

I bought a salt grinder from Costco ($3), ripped off the grinder top and take the salt lumps directly. just slip some behind the gum like chewing tobacco. slow seep of intense salt flavor. lasts for several minutes. Serves as a meal replacement. This is as described by Megan Ramos.

(Troy) #7

This!
Yup

AND I add …a piece or two of sugar free trident gum
You then get a skoal bandit poach :joy:
Salt+gum

Works for me
I live WAY on the edge I guess😄

Enjoy

(Chelsy Iorio) #8

This is great, guys! Thank you. I have discovered in another forum that you are all correct (even about the diarrhea!) and that my symptoms are not from hyperglycemia, but from electrolyte imbalance. I did indeed have the runs this morning after drinking half a jar of pickle juice last night. I also took an electrolyte supplement this morning on an essentially empty stomach and promptly vomited it all up while liquid poo filled my underwear from the heaving. TMI? You can handle it :wink: I will try the salt-in-mouth technique. The gum idea is genius.

(Raj Seth) #9

I can’t speak to gum - have braces. But salt crystals like skoal- Works!!!