Pets and Keto

This author is writing about large corporations sponsoring studies, vets who work for the large corp. spouting what they want us to believe. Not what’s best for our critters. I’m just starting the part on paleo and wolves, etc. sounds like it parallels our experiences with bad science, large companies etc.

(Cathy) #22

Sounds like an interesting read. I will have to look for that book.

(Arlene) #23

Check out the B.A.R.F. diet for dogs. It stands for bones and raw food. Many are warned about feeding chicken bones to dogs. We had a boxer that lived her entire life on raw meats, often chicken thighs or legs. We never had any digestive problems or bone issues, including no choking at any time. It’s worth checking into this.

(Michelle) #24

Just heard about the keto pet sanctuary to cure diseases in dogs (not sure if they also bring in cats). pretty cool stuff.

(Michelle) #25

Tell Tammy to eat less and exercise more :hushed: – just kidding!!! I assume you had all the thyroid tests done? Would def check with the vet on best way to bring down her weight.

(David) #26

Or, get a laser pointer and have her chase it. I had my Auntie’s aging tabby plodding around the room for 5 minutes after the dot.

(Jackie) #27

He was on Jimmy Moore’s show http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/15809/1226-daniel-schulof-is-fighting-the-dogma-that-is-hurting-mans-best-friend/

(Stephen Price (Lythix)) #28

Well, two months on and I must report that I have failed my cats.
:frowning:

It would seem after many attempts to switch from dry food (full of carbs, like 50%) over to wet food, they were disgusted with it. I was quite shocked, I thought they would be doing backflips and cartwheels to get some real food, but alas no.

I tried a number of brands, looking for grain free wherever I could. I’d put the food out and they would walk up to it look around in a confused manner and then wander off. Finally when they were really hungry they would eat it but often it would be a bowl of ants by morning. The ants loved it though… but they also ate the biscuits too if I put too many out and they were there too long.

I even bought some fresh pet meat and put that in their bowls and they totally ignored it. Didn’t touch it at all. I think my cats are well and truely carb addicted, and broken. I will have another attempt, perhaps introducing the wet food more gradually.

My mother in law has a similar thing with her cat, it just won’t eat anything other than biscuits, but it’s not over weight that I can tell.

Anyone else found their pets hooked on carbs? Perhaps there is a book they can read, or maybe I need to get them some little cat headphones so they can listen to the 2 Keto Dudes podcast?

Very odd creatures. Broken!

(Cathy) #29

Poor kitties and poor Stephen… I have heard that cats are particularly difficult to make a switch and you have clearly experienced it first hand. That has to be very frustrating…My daughter was only partially successful in getting her cat to switch to a part wet/part dry diet by slowly adding a bit of wet to the dry. Sadly, that little sweet creature passed away from some kind of diseased vital organ… it was all very unclear. She was only 10 yrs. old…

(Emilee) #30

Hi Stephen. I watched a video by Jackson Galaxy regarding cat diets (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2biwZd0spyg). Recently I have been switching my 3 cats to raw but in stages. Here’s what I’ve been doing: 1) I don’t do free feeding 2) In the beginnin I fed them morning and night fancy feast sprinkled with their old dry food 3) now they are eating raw in the morning and fancy feast in the evening (no dry food sprinkles).
I’m planning on graduating to all raw soon.

https://feline-nutrition.org/

(Stephen Price (Lythix)) #31

I think I have managed to switch cat from dry biscuits to wet food.

Shes still a fat Tank kitty tho. Hmm can you fat shame a cat? I dont think she gives a damn.
Am choosing the no grain cat food tins so it has to be better for her.
Have also switched to evening feeding only. That meme that says, “the cat has been fed, dont listen to her bullshit” springs to mind. Sometimes I feed her and then my wife feeds her. Shes playing us!

(Ken) #32

Here’s what I feed my dogs, but it’s also applicable to cats since it’s based on the “Whole Animal” concept. My dogs are big, with one about 60 lbs, and the new guy being overweight and nearly 100. He’s consistently losing fat though and should end up around 70lbs. Both are exercised daily. They are fed this twice daily.

4 oz. meat
2 oz. fat
< 1 oz. mackerel
1 oz. kidney
One egg, for one of the meals, shell is chopped up and mixed in.
Small portion of veggies for fiber, carrots are shown here.
I also add a tbsp or two of melted meat fat.

(Jean Taylor) #33

I haven’t tried it but there’s an animal shelter for dogs with cancer that offers some kind of keto meal planning thing. It says pets not dogs specifically not sure if they do cats or what. I stumbled across it a while back wondering it I could just buy keto dog food… I can’t afford to feed fresh atm so I didn’t bother to look any further into it.

(Mother of Puppies ) #34

Fresh is cheaper than a lot of packaged food. (But my dog is little)

(Jean Taylor) #35

It really depends on how you feed fresh and what food you’re buying. I feed mine grain free but not the crazy expensive ones. I don’t buy the cheapest food out there but it’s still cheaper than the cost of meats and other additives like bone meal fish oil etc I would need to buy to give them all they need. And that’s which not being focused on feeding keto.

(Mother of Puppies ) #36

“Bone meal” and “Fish oil” = leftover salmon and a raw chicken leg. Cheap.

(Ken) #37

The secret of feeding fresh is having access to a butcher or locker who understands what you’re doing. They can’t sell their “saw trim” for human consumption, but they are sometimes skeptical when you say you want it for your dogs. Once they believe you, they’re usually happy to be able to selll something that would normally be thrown away. Same with beef fat. Often, they have far more than they can sell. If they happen to do their own slaughtering, most of the offal is also thrown away. Offal is like “Easter Candy” to dogs. They love it. Nothing like a nice chunk of lung or pancreas, or even intestines. It’s also very healthy, as that’s where the vitamins and minerals are.

I pay $1.00 per lb. for saw trim and fat, less than that for organs. They get six to seven ounces twice per day, which works out to around 1800 cals per day. These are good sized dogs. I figure I spend a buck a day per dog, which is less than I’d pay for a premium dog food that is lipogenic and far less healthy.

(Mother of Puppies ) #38

How do you prevent feeding too much fat for them, with prepared food?

(Ken) #39

The ratio is two thirds meat, one third fat, by weight. That follows the “Whole Animal” concept, and provides 60% of calories from fat. Just like in the Wild.

(Mother of Puppies ) #40

Thanks!! Dealing with tummy upset RN