Perfect Keto Base.... thoughts?

Has anyone tested either this or any other exogenous ketones?

I’ve used this one a few times and so far so good. I find that my usual ketone level drops by around 1.3-1.5 mmols during exercise and often ends up below 0.5 as a result. Using this either before, during or after allows me to maintain a good level of ketones throughout the day.

It’s probably not something I’ll take regularly but it definitely does the job as a pre/post workout supplement.

(Robert C) #2

I cannot comment directly as I have not used them but here are some (I know, not requested) thoughts…

Perfect Keto Base is $58.99 on Amazon for 15 servings.
That would buy a lot of high end organic produce, grass fed beef and great healthy fats for an awesome keto journey where you let your liver learn to produce the keytones.

Also, I am not sure about the logic on this - and I mean really not sure(!), it just seems to follow from what I hear on podcasts about these:
If you take exogenous keytones and then measure high keytone levels - is that good?
You are measuring what you are not using (because it is still in your blood or spilling in your urine).
Don’t you want to consume exogenous keytones and show low readings in the blood (i.e. then you know your body is adapted to using keytones)?

I have not tried them or any other exogenous keytones - always going along with the argument of why buy (especially at $4 a scoop) when you can make them yourself? (Along with the idea that your body will give itself the correct dosage always.)

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #3

If staying above .5 is your goal you could probably do that with Mct oil, or maybe even coconut oil. I’m not sure it really matters. You could take any sugar burning person and dump a bunch of exogenous ketones in them and they’d register on a meter. Doesn’t mean they’re really in ketosis and they’d be gone soon after. Unless you need them for therapeutic reasons the only reason I can see to even want high ketone levels is as confirmation of the amount of fat you’re burning. Those ketones you drink didn’t come from burned fat, so all they really are is evidence that you drank ketones :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed that the price is crazy and as I said, it will probably not be something I use regularly.

I think for me, there is an improvement in overall feeling when ketone levels are slightly higher. The body uses what is available first of all before creating more, and being lean I don’t see the harm in adding a few in order to quickly replenish those used.
Somewhat of an experiment really as I wanted to give it go, I know from testing that my body will naturally produce the same level of ketones given a little bit longer to do so.

I get all of that. I wasn’t really looking for criticism, I am well aware of how ketones are produced. As stated in the original post, I was wondering whether anyone else had tried them (for whatever reason) and how they rated the experience.

I use them but have never measured afterwards because yeah, I just poured ketones into my body. I didn’t spill them out the side of my cup, so they’re there :slight_smile: And those strips are expensive.
It is totally normal to show low ketones after a workout. It does not mean they’re not there, it means you used 'em up! It’s a good thing
I use them, personally, to stave off hunger. My hunger is not in check unless my ketones get really high and they never do. “High” for me is 1.5 and that’s a fleeting measurement. So I use it as a meal replacement, really, and it works perfectly for me for that.
Even though I’ve been in ketosis (.9 - 1.4) daily for over 3 months, my appetite is not supressed by it. I may be the only person in the world for whom it just doesn’t work that way. It’s ok cuz I use ketones for that. And the benefits of being in ketosis are many for me, just appetite control wasn’t one of them. Now it is.

(TJ Borden) #7

You kind of opened yourself up a bit. If I started a post asking about anyone else’s experience with crystal meth, I’d expect to get some people telling me not to do it.

Not saying taking exogenous ketones is the same as taking crystal meth… maybe snake oil would be a better analogy.

I’d take that as a fair comment from someone who had tried it themselves… both previous contributors had not.

(TJ Borden) #9

But to my point, it doesn’t take someone who has used crystal meth to accurately or appropriately advise against it.

No, but it does take someone who has used it to explain their experience when under its influence.

(TJ Borden) #11

I apologize in advance. I couldn’t resist

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #12

:joy:. You are being a little trolly, but it was funny!

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #13

I just got a couple of free sample packets of Keto Base with my order of Perfect Keto MCT powder.

I agree with all that has been said about exogenous ketones, but was curious to try after reading a post about one perimenopausal woman’s experiment with them during her cycle when her normal ketone production would drop below ketosis levels inexplicably. I think she was also looking to see if she could eradicate some symptoms she was having by supplementing.

So being in a similar predicament (although I don’t know what my ketone level is today) and feeling crappy as well as having a recurrence of insomnia and anxiety I thought I’d try ‘em out. I usually have a scoop of MCTs in my coffee which helps heaps with my morning drag.

I used the Chocolate Sea Salt one. Are you ready?

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting::dizzy_face:

Blerggg…so gross! Ruined my coffee. Made it sour! And, jeepers, if you don’t love an overwhelming taste of stevia…

So now I’m feeling crappy AND bloated and a bit nauseated. Oh and hey might have a touch of heartburn brewing :+1:t2:

I would usually be getting a little boost from the coffee and MCTs right now, but instead I sort of want to go back to bed and cry.

…and I can still taste the stevia.

If all this magically turns around in the next hour or so I’ll let you know :laughing:

(GINA ) #14

I have some KeoCaNa that I throw in a smoothie before a long run or a race sometimes. It gives me some extra energy. I don’t measure ketones so I don’t know how they show up on a meter, but I can feel the difference.

It is too expensive to use all the time and it does taste terrible. I got the unflavored kind and blend it up with frozen berries and the other stuff and it isn’t too bad. I can’t imagine trying to make it chocolate flavored. Blech.

(William Jeffrey Hunter) #15

I am getting good results from MCT oil.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #16

Same. I’ll stick with that. TYSM :laughing:

Oh and to update my Keto Base experience - I also got the runs. Awesome.

(karen) #17

I have some Perfect Keto exogenous ketones in the vanilla flavor. I was hoping to use it if I needed an energy boost during a workout. It’s not … well it’s not horrible, flavor wise, it’s just so overloaded with stevia I can’t use more than about half a tsp in my coffee or water. At that dosage I didn’t notice any effect at all, positive or negative, and thanks for the update on what happens when you use a “clinical dosage”. I can’t see that this product has a place in my diet. And it was stupid expensive.

(William Jeffrey Hunter) #18

I have not tried exogenous ketones because I don’t (yet) measure blood keytones. I can tell the MCT oil has had a positive effect from the way my body is responding day by day. If exogenous ketones caused accelerated burning of body fat then I might be interested.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #19

My concern with exogenous ketones is that they might cause my own body to down regulate its production of ketones. We already know that when you get fat adapted your body will begin to optimize its production such that it’s essentially not making much more than it can burn. I would be afraid that flooding your body with foreign ketones might trick that system into thinking it’s making too many when it’s not, thereby actually reducing fat burned. Maybe that doesn’t happen, but your body generally seeks homeostasis everywhere else. Why not here too?