Pepsi Zero Keto Friendly or not

I have searched high and low to find a definitive answer regarding Pepsi Zero.

Is it or is it not Keto Friendly?

I have been on a strict Keto diet for several weeks and when I tested my blood it came out to .3. and a urine strip showed minimal ketones.

My Splits are usually 70/25/5 or 65/30/5 (25 net g or less per day), I have simplified my diet to the point that I know my splits without doing the math (even though I do track everything)

I have been drinking 2 Pepsi Zero’s throughout the day. I suspect that the Pepsi is kicking me out or keeping me from being in Ketosis.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ketosis is driven by how many carbs you eat, so it would be fine.

Throw away the strips. They are designed for type 1 diabetics to check for one type of ketone body being excreted as waste. They don’t measure nutritional ketosis. If you’re keeping carbs low, you are in ketosis.

Unless you are doing keto for some medical condition that requires those splits, percentages are less than helpful. For one thing, your need for proteins should be based on your lean body mass and activity level, not on your caloric intake. Plus, your need for fats can partially be satisfied by stored body fat, which such a percentage can’t account for.

To me, that would mean you determined your macros, in grams, and have been tracking everything you eat, including weighing the foods.

The proteins macro is a lower limit, while the carbs and fats macros are upper limits.

Thanks for the information.
I have been tracking everything I consume on MyFitness Pal.

It looks like I need to increase the protein. I have always tried to maintain a ratio rather than setting specific goals in grams consumed.
For example I consume on average 25g of net carbs per day, I will be decreasing that to under 20 net grams per day.

The protein should be easy. Tuna is great way to add protein to my diet.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The essence of a ketogenic diet is to lower serum insulin by lowering glucose (carbohydrate) intake. Whether or not Pepsi Zero will be okay for you or not depends on whether or not the artificial sweetener it contains has an effect on your insulin. To judge from posts on these forums, every artificial sweetener has an effect on someone’s insulin, but whether or not a particular sweetener will have an effect on your particular insulin level is an open question. If you don’t feel you are making the progress you want, then try cutting out the Pepsi Zero and see if that helps. Then you’ll know.

On these forums, we recommend an upper limit of 20 grams a day of carbohydrate. Your actual tolerance may be higher, but we recommend limiting yourself to 20 g/day until you become fat adapted and used to this way of eating. Protein should be reasonable. Start in the range of 1.0-1.5 grams per kilogram of lean body mass per day, and adjust from there. We supposedly have an instinct for how much protein we need to eat, so if you crave more, eat more. If you feel as though you’d be better off with less, eat less. Then add enough fat to your diet to satisfy your hunger. Fat is a safe source of calories, because it doesn’t stimulate insulin secretion the way carbohydrate does. It also contains twice as many calories per gram, so it takes less to satisfy. Eat when you’re hungry, stop eating when your hunger is satisfied. That’s a lot easier than calculating macros and counting calories.

Thank you Paul.

I suspect I drink too much Pepsi Zero, so I will scale it back to one a day and see from there.

I mix keto with IF and I am rarely hungry, so I gotta sit down and recalculate my macros and food plan.
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, keto friendly. I drink the life out of them. Some people are against all artificial sweeteners would disagree but in reality they’re fine. Testing ketones is pointless more than it’s not, keep in mind they don’t react quickly to what you’re doing. Sugar does.

(Bob M) #7

I think the knock on artificial sweeteners includes possible biome changes. There’s a theory they negatively affect the biome. Is it true? As with everything, it’s unclear.

More info than I’ll ever be able to read: