PCOS challenges

(Amanda) #1

Hi there, second time around! It’s been 2 years since I’ve done keto. I’m 3 weeks in and my body is responding a lot better this time around. No more fatigue, dizziness, etc like the first time I did keto.
Anyway, I have PCOS. I’m 5’4" and 160. I’d like to lose 30 lbs. So my question…
Those with PCOS or hormonal issues talk to me about how you didn’t lose any weight like “most” people. I’m really hoping to stay the course and start losing in the next few weeks, but I’m afraid given my crappy metabolism that it’s going to take longer
PCOS sisters, how long did it take?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Hey, welcome back!

Question: were the women who told you that eating keto themselves? Obviously, not being a woman, I can’t speak to any experience involving ovaries, but my impression as a forum member is that women with PCOS can still lose fat on keto, though fat loss may take longer to begin. A lot of women talk about hormonal re-regulation had to precede fat loss.

Don’t forget that a lot of women who restricted calories and protein before keto, find that on keto they may add lean tissue even while losing fat, so the effect on the scale number is ambiguous. This could partly be a source of that impression that women with PCOS can’t lose weight on keto. I look forward to hearing what forum members with PCOS have to say.

Women with PCOS have higher blood levels of advanced glycation end products. So anything to lower them will help such as avoiding grains, fried food and high temperature cooked food. Roasting, barbecuing, etc…