Panic has set in. Need advice!

Started Keto near the end of July as suggested by my doctor. My fasting insulin was 6.4 and A1C was 5.9. Since then I have lost 35 pounds and my fasting insulin is 4.4 and A1C is 5.0. That’s the good news. The news that has me and my doctor in a bit of a panic are my lipid values.

Cholesterol has gone from 177 to 240
HDL has gone from has stayed steady and is at 42
Non HDL has gone from 131 to 198
LDL has gone from 104 to 167
Triglycerides has gone from 62 to 66

My doctor now wants to see me so I need some advice on my values. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

(Bunny) #2

Looks like your burning body fat for fuel without the high sugar diet?

HOMA-IR (Homeostatic Model Assessment for Insulin Resistance Calculator)

(Omar) #3

One of the healthiest lipid panels I have seen

(Bunny) #4

Yes! Very healthy!

Some other topics that may interest you:

1. Other hyper responders help!
  1. You could also consider testing Genes or SNP’s (genetic predisposition with saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats) playing a role in this? …More
  1. Attia Feldman Podcast

(John) #5

HDL and Triglyceride levels look great. High LDL is the only issue, and yours is still below the 190 level where statins are usually prescribed.

(Bob M) #6

My test results pages indicate 130 is “high” for LDL, and 100 if you have heart disease. I don’t believe in any of that, but that’s what they say.

(John) #7

My lipid panel 6 weeks into keto was 235 total. Doc put me back on a statin, which I had been taking before but had stopped.

It doesn’t seem to cause me any problems and even when I was much younger and thinner I tended to run about 240ish.

I still have a lot of weight to lose so when I get closer to my goals I may try going without the statin again to see if my numbers are better.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Six weeks is early and I have heard it takes about six months for your numbers to settle down. I had my lipid panel at six months and my total cholesterol, trigs and LDL went down. HDL went up.

(less is more, more or less) #9

Oh, my, looks good! I’d bring my doctor this report:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17512433.2018.1519391

Introduction : For half a century, a high level of total cholesterol (TC) or low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) has been considered to be the major cause of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease (CVD), and statin treatment has been widely promoted for cardiovascular prevention. However, there is an increasing understanding that the mechanisms are more complicated and that statin treatment, in particular when used as primary prevention, is of doubtful benefit.

[snip]

• Millions of people all over the world, including many with no history of heart disease, are taking statins, and PCSK-9 inhibitors to lower LDL-C further are now being promoted, despite unproven benefits and serious side effects.

Or, if she remains resistant, I’d shop for a new doctor, if possible. If not possible, I would have a very frank conversation with my doctor about her intransigence when faced with new information.

(Running from stupidity) #10

Whoa! That’s a savage abstract!

Expert commentary : Our search for falsifications of the cholesterol hypothesis confirms that it is unable to satisfy any of the Bradford Hill criteria for causality and that the conclusions of the authors of the three reviews are based on misleading statistics, exclusion of unsuccessful trials and by ignoring numerous contradictory observations.

(less is more, more or less) #11

Indeed. Given my lack of confidence in parsing these documents, and that relative quiet in the LCHF community about their release, I figured that I’m missing something essential about the importance of these findings.

(Bob M) #12

The authors of that document are well outside the “mainstream” thinking. And if their theory is correct, statins might be worthless. That means the main contingent of doctors who BELIEVE LDL is bad are going to ignore this.

Personally, I believe those authors are correct.

(less is more, more or less) #13

Oh, very much so. But is their process such that it moots there findings to the larger community? Or is it the bias resistance of new countering information?

(Bob M) #14

The countering info has always been there. You can find many studies indicating people with “low” LDL still get heart disease. (In fact, one argument by the LDL believers is that everyone in the “west” has LDL numbers that are too high – yes, everyone. I was just reading this part of Dr. Kendrick’s book, The Great Cholesterol Con, this morning.) Similarly, you can find studies indicating people with “high” LDL have a lower death rate overall, if you include death from all causes.

They are obviously biased for being anti-LDL. But then the pro-LDL people are also biased (so much so that they cannot entertain possible alternative explanations). Which side is correct? Only time will tell. (Though my money is on Uffe’s side.)

(Sheryl) #15

I feel your panic. I started Keto lifestyle las May 2017 due to knee pain. I wanted to cut Down on inflammation in my body. I recently had my lipid panel checked. Instead of seeing dramatic terrific results, my panel showed increase in numbers towards my doctors concerns. Although my ratios are great and show very low risk of Cvdisease, I was very concerned to see higher numbers. I went to the ketogenic forum and received some great advice through articles that helped calm my panic. I have adjusted my keto diet slightly by cutting out bullet coffee every morning, reduced my coconut oil intake, and reluctantly agreed to try a low dose statin. I have increased my intake of COQ enzyme. It helped to listen to the 2 Keto Dudes podcast with interventional cardiologist encouraging Keto lifestyle.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

So why are my numbers going down on keto? It seems like the opposite should be happening, if the latest research is correct.