Pancreatic Health

I TOTALLY thought that pushing through with the Keto would help my body adjust. But now this is the second attack - first 4 day’s in bed on endone and right now as I speak 2 Days in bed on endone. Ultimately I think acute pancreatitis that is triggered by triglyceride elevation is not conducive to Keto diet. Maybe it would be fine if you suffered from pancreatitis that is triggered by alcohol but as I don’t drink - this doesn’t apply to me.

And yes, the pain is worse than childbirth I’m told (never had children - but the pain, well, it’s horrific). Not at the stage of hospitalisation yet, but if this gets much worse and I need morphine to control the pain - I’ll let you know!

I might see if I have a period of 6 months with no attacks on moderate low carb diet, then I might try Keto one final time. If there’s an attack within 30 day’s I won’t do it again. The problem is, I hadn’t had an attack for over 2.5 years prior to trying Keto, and I just really hope I haven’t opened that door again.

Good luck everyone with their Keto efforts! Jeez, it really works for weight loss though!

Also @elastoplastic - if you don’t know what is triggering your pancreatitis and your docs have assumed you are idiopathic - my docs did also for years - then you should ask them to investigate your ability to digest fats. Mine turned out to be a genetic mutation that means when I eat meat, or fats, it takes much longer than normal to return to the correct triglyceride / lipase levels. And this creates the overload on the pancreas. I take gemfibrozil morning and night, and since I started taking it after a 6 day trip in ICU in New York (thank god for travel insurance!) I hadn’t had an attack until I attempted the Keto diet in the last few months.

(Edith) #23

I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. I hope you feel better soon and figure out something that can work for you.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

@elastoplastic @Misterstraps We always tell people that a ketogenic diet involves moderate protein, but I have been learning a bit about how higher protein might be helpful. There is a hypothesis called “protein leverage,” which posits that we all eat to a specific quantity of protein, and so, on a diet richer in protein, we need less carbohydrate and fat in order to be satisfied. You might try eating more protein, which would then allow you to eat less fat and still not go hungry. If it works, the lower fat should help your pancreas.

Thanks! @PaulL

(Lucero De La Tierra) #26

Hi Misterstraps - I had something similar happen. The difference was I started having the pain under my left ribs during my cycle before we left for vacation. On vacation the choices were very slim and I hadn’t prepared properly with food to take with me. My husband hates it when I pack food so I didn’t even think to do it for myself. To the other commenter’s point that maybe cheating was the issue, could be because the symptoms got worse by the end of the week after we got back. At first I thought it was just the keto flu and then I was faced with eating pizza or nothing before a funeral we had to go to on Wednesday of last week and by Friday I was full on feeling like my gut was going to explode even though I was fully on a keto diet. The area around my pancreas felt like a rock and I thought I was going to puke. I didn’t cheat at all on Saturday and felt OK but Sunday I had guacamole (good fats) as the main component of my lunch and later felt like I was going to die. Today I feel OK, but I haven’t had much in the way of food. I’m kind of afraid to eat. I had a protein-keto-coffee this morning and was OK and then a low carb protein bar at lunch and was OK. While I was grocery shopping I was offered samples of meats and cheeses and they seemed to land alright, but by the time I got home my stomach was on fire, I was bloated and the pain in my left side was resurfacing. To top it all I was lightheaded so I made a cup of low sodium chicken broth to hopefully clear that low blood sugar feeling. I’ve tried adding a low carb greens supplement with probiotics, prebiotics and enzymes to assist my digestive tract, but I’m on the verge of adding back some complex carbs and reducing my fat intake and see if I can sustain the weight loss just by tracking calories. I have to be careful because too much carbs makes me feel foggy and in pain. I think my body hates me.

(Lucero De La Tierra) #27

The problem with higher protein is it can make your kidneys hurt. I tried this once and had success with the diet until both my kidneys started aching even though I was drinking enough water. I wish there was a clear cut solution, but everyone is different.

(Bunny) #28

Mysterious pancreas so hard to study because of location[7]? (pokes head out of bunny hole and shakes head in disbelief)

Patrick Wayne Swayze would probably still be alive if he had not been drinking those sports drinks laced with sucrose and fructose[8]?

“…The English friar and philosopher William of Ockham (1287-1347) is credited with developing the fundamental problem solving principle known as lex parsimoniae or Occam’s Razor. This principle holds that the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions is most often right. The simplest explanation is usually the most correct. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” …” …More

Footnotes:

[1] The case for routine supplementation (animals): “…When heat destroys (“denatures”) the natural shape of enzymes, they become nonfunctional. In dogs and cats that eat heat-processed pet food, those enzymes are absent; the pancreas must provide all the enzymes needed to digest the food. In addition, commercial dry kibble is also much higher in carbohydrates than the carnivore’s natural prey diet. While cats’ and dogs’ pancreatic and intestinal tissues can and do produce amylases that are fully capable of digesting carbohydrates, the lack of salivary amylase reminds us that nature did not intend carbs to be their primary source of nutrition. …” …More

[2] Effects of Protein Intake on Renal Function and on the Development of Renal Disease

[3] Why am I still experiencing malabsorption or losing weight after I started on my enzymes? A few things could cause your enzymes to not work effectively. Your small intestine needs to have a certain pH level, meaning the environment cannot be too acidic. If your pancreas doesn’t make enough bicarbonate (a substance that lowers the acid level in your small intestine), your pH level may be too acidic, which prevents the enzymes from working properly. Another possibility is the dose you are taking may not be effective to digest the amount of fat you are consuming. It is best to take the right amount of enzymes rather than to be overly restrictive in limiting your dietary fat. Sometimes a patient may benefit from trying a different brand, as each enzyme has slightly different ratios of all three digestive enzymes (lipase, protease, and amylase). …” …More

[4] Pancreatitis Symptoms: 11 Natural Ways to Prevent & Manage

[5] 7 Strategies to Heal Pancreatitis Naturally

[6] “…Type 2 diabetes is caused by fat accumulating in the pancreas, researchers show. They add that losing less than one gram of that fat through weight loss reverses the diabetes. …”
…More

[7] “…Mouret suggested that the activation of trypsin might be actively involved in the development of acute pancreatitis. This hypothesis was in accordance with the work of Hans Chiari who in 1896 proposed that autodigestion as the consequence of premature zymogen activation was the pathological mechanism underlying acute pancreatitis …” …More

[8] Pancreatic cancers use fructose, common in Western diet, to fuel growth, study finds:** “…Heaney found that the pancreatic cancer cells could easily distinguish between glucose and fructose, which are very similar structurally, and contrary to conventional wisdom, the cancer cells metabolized the sugars in very different ways. In the case of fructose, the pancreatic cancer cells used the sugar in the transketolase-driven non-oxidative pentose phosphate pathway to generate nucleic acids, the building blocks of RNA and DNA, which the cancer cells need to divide and proliferate. …” …More