Palpitations like crazy

(Kristi ) #1

I’ve been keto for a few months now. Still trying to navigate through the lifestyle and learning. It is definitely a learning process. I think I was doing well, but over the last few weeks I have noticed my palpitations have been increasing to the point where they are almost non-stop today. I believe it’s probably just a electrolyte imbalance that I have going on but it’s freaking me out a little bit to be honest. Are there any good keto friendly electrolyte supplements that I can take Or multivitamins which will help prevent some of these? Any advice from keto veterans to help put my mind to ease.
I appreciate any feedback.

(Carpe salata!) #2

I use plain sea-salt or rock salt. Just dissolve 1/4 teaspoon in my mouth and it does help. Some people prefer it in water but I like it straight. Must be replacing that ‘Vegemite on toast’ need. :wink:

(Tim W) #3

#1- search the forums for keto aide

#2- If you don’t want to make/drink keo aid or just in a pinch, put 1/2 tsp Himalayan seal salt in a shot glass of water, suck it down

#3- Make sure you are getting a variety of minerals, magnesium/potassium/zinc are often suggested but you have to find out what works for you. I personally take a wide variety, with a little research you can find out what would be best for you in your situation.

Best of luck!

(Ellie Baum) #4

I would consider going to a doctor…

Make sure you’re not having too much potassium: About recommending electrolytes

(Kristi ) #5

@Ellie_Baum thank you for that link! Very important to remember as potassium can cause a slew of serious problems if you swing to far in either direction. I’m definitely going to seek some bloodwork from my PCP just for my own piece of mind. I have pvc’s normally outside of trying to be keto, I’ve just noticed a huge increase of them recently. I don’t take supplements or use electrolyte replacements other than a occasional glass of nature’s calm for leg cramps and my pink salt intake is typically just what I add to food as I cook. My diet is probably higher in protein then it should be which is why I was thinking low electrolytes. I will up the eggs and go back to my avocado a day and see if that helps and try to up my greens for the real food potassium, magnesium etc. The amount of palpitations I’ve had today have me pretty anxious so i was looking for a immediate fix to help while I make some diet adjustments and get some blood panels run. Any suggestion on what labs to ask for?

Are you going through the menopause? I began palpitations when I was, and they lasted for4 years. Would freak me out at night feeling my heart moving and hearing it in my ears

(Brian) #7

Typical salt will give you sodium. But if you need potassium, you’ll need to get a hold of some potassium chloride or up the veggies high in potassium. You’ll typically get a good bit of magnesium through greens since chlorophyll has a magnesium atom in the center of it’s construction (kinda cool) but you can get supplements pretty easily, too.

If you’re getting some blood work done anyway, your Dr. can probably give you an idea of what’s going on and see whether one or more things are out of whack.

Good luck!