Palpitations and Heart Flutters

(Edith) #61

Well, the good news is that all my blood tests came out fine: even my electrolytes. My heart is fine, but I was having PVCs. I will be following up with a visit to the cardiologist.

Today, I am having no palpitations so far. Hormones? I guess I’ll know more after I see the cardiologist (or not). :woman_shrugging:

I did see something on Andrew Weil’s website about Mg and he suggests up to 1000 Mg per day for deficiency. I’ve been taking about 400-600 Mg/day.

I have read that Mg levels can’t really be tested with a blood test, so maybe I really am still not getting enough. I don’t have other Mg deficiency symptoms such as restless legs, or cramps. It can’t hurt to try, though. What’s the worse that can happen? I spend a little extra time on the toilet for a day or two?

Hi, I am a newby to the forum and the Keto diet two weeks.
I have a heart murmur that has turned into daily palpitations, rapid heartbeat out of my chest, and weird pains. I have seen the cardiologist and he put a week monitor on me.
My heart was running wild for four days. I got scared so Saturday I went to ER. 175/90 bp… After a CT, blood test, urine test I just was dehydrated. Two bags of saline were IV’d into me.
I really like the Keto diet and want to stay on it but my body hates it.
I have learned through this forum that 1/4 t pink salt with 500-1000 mag plus 4700 potassium will help.
Thanks for your help ~

(Kel Ta) #63

Ive given up keto for now. Gotta get these other symptoms controlled first and keto just makes them worse. So tired of palpitations and heart flutters. I’ll try increasing my magnesium too.

(Davy) #65

You’re right about the blood serum test not giving accurate amounts of Mg Edith. That test is practically worthless. Google it if you want, you’ll find tons of info on this. The body has 99% of the Mg in the cells, tissues, heart, other organs and only 1% in the blood serum. The blood serum gets filled first, then the rest to the rest of the body. So the Mg in the blood serum will pretty much always show so called “normal”. The same MAY go for Potassium. I had extremely low Mg while my blood test showed normal…the doctor didn’t even know about this. He just, in all knowing type manner, declared that nothing was wrong with my Mg level. This way, they, the doctors, can prescribe tons of drugs/meds and keep you on them for life…increasing and sustaining their paychecks. (just pointing all this out because you said your ‘electrolytes’ were fine.
Yes Nancy, I"ve read studies that said going into Ketosis causes palpitations (rapid pulse and irregular). So upping your Mg may indeed help. I’ve switched over to Mg Taurate, as suggested in another forum. Taking this until I get loose stools and then backing off a little. Some honestly in the know cardiologist suggested this type of Mg to a patient and she took it and now her palps are 90% GONE. Several others on that forum started taking it with the same result. Yes, take it with 1/4 tsp of Himilayan Salt. Big Thumbs UP!
Again, it’s easy to move down Trigs. and Cholestorol quickly doing keto, but the HDLnumber just moves very slowly and maybe none while ketoing and losing weight. (mine moved NONE while keto’ing and losing 20 lbs.)

(Ross) #66

I have a similar experience.
After going carnivore over the summer, I was increasingly getting palpitations when exercising. I thought it was caffeine related so I cut back on coffee which worked for a while but then not so much.

I got the idea it might be folate (B9) related. Was surprised to discover that while muscle meat are full of B12 & B6 they are a poor source of B9.

I’ve started eating liver several times a week (including bison liver for breakfast) and things are much improved. Liver, particularly chicken liver, is very high in B9.

I’ve also gone off carnivore and added back in more green veggies like brussle sprouts. (yet more B9)

Done with carnivore