Palpitations and Heart Flutters

(Davy) #41

Good questions GMX. Yes, talking about total, food + supplements. I’m eating about 8 cups a day of spinach, 1 or 2 avocados and the rest in Potassium Citrate. The spinach really helps me feel filled.
I take them from day 1; and found out you skip practically all the Keto flu thing. I only had a headache, nothing more, on day 2. And attribute this skipping the KF to the extra supplements.

(Jana) #42

Magnesium supplements do not seem to be very absorbable. I use a proprietary product designed by Dr Carolyn Dean. It’s called ReMag.

(Jana) #43

Just glanced at your post. Looks like you know about Dr Dean’s mag too. I am having great results. No A-fib since starting ReMag by Dr Dean last October. :sunglasses:

(Linda) #44

This website has lots of great videos about palpitations and ectopic beats. I’ve been taking magnesium tartrate as the doctor here suggested and am no longer bothered by my heart behaving badly. :slight_smile:

I was diagnosed with a “wandering atrial pacemaker” a few years back. I had tachycardia that scared me into the ER and after umpteen tests, this was what I was told.

I wasn’t much comforted by being told it wasn’t “dangerous” because the symptoms were so unpleasant. But, 50 pounds less, a little metoprolol, and the magnesium has pretty much eliminated the issue. My heart rate had always been quite fast even when at rest, but with the beta blocker it rarely gets much higher than 80 anymore.

(Kel Ta) #45

Beginning to think this might be due to too little food in general for many people -when Keto or ZC combined with IF 16-8= pounding heartbeat in chest at night,racing heart beat, breathing problems like can’t get enough air in, anxiety, low energy, brain fog

Have seen folks remedy this with increased folate, increased carbs, increased caloric consumption in general and trying to right electrolyte balance-
But from what I have seen it seems that for many people upping electrolyte on it’s own doesn’t seem to solve the concern completely.

(Edith) #46

Yes, I have wondered that. The quantity of food I eat is much less on keto since it is so much more calorie dense. It has made me wonder if I’m getting all the nutrients I need. You’re probably correct and the answer is no.

(Kel Ta) #47

what type of carbs work for you? my struggle is trying to heal my gut- which means fiber doesn’t work so great- but it’s a catch-22 if I go too low- feels better on my gut but worse in other ways

(Edith) #48

Well, I have been back to having heart palpitations again. It’s funny, but I forgot I had tried upping carbs towards the end of 2017. After the holidays I tried lowing my carbs back down to 20-30 grams, but lately I am having trouble again.

I’ve been keto for over a year and electrolytes have been a challenging issue for me. Upping sodium helped, I take Mg, and I just added a little zinc. Maybe potassium is the trouble, but there are always so many warnings about supplementing potassium I’m just not sure what to do for it. Many food labels don’t even include potassium, so it’s really difficult to know how much I am getting from food. Therefore, how much to supplement?:woman_shrugging: Also, I’m perimenopausal. Heart palpitations can be a symptom of perimenopause, could that be the cause and not electrolytes? :woman_shrugging:

For me, adding carbs back may be the answer again. More berries and veggies, avocados/guacamole, and I may add in some sweet potato. That may help with any stress low carb causes and naturally increase my potassium intake.

Thanks for the reminder.

(Edith) #49

@ketana, Just a though: cooking vegetables helps break down the fiber and makes them easier to digest. If you are upping carbs with veggies, maybe try cooked veggies and not salads?

(Kel Ta) #50

It is no understatement that for some folks it appears, getting the heart rate and breathing issues under control is a real struggle when eating this way. What really works for me is magnesium potassium aspartate which is a chelated supplement that has the right ratios. I don’t take close to the amount recommended on the bottle and I take it only when going to sleep as it can make you sleepy. If I get the dose wrong then my heart beats hard in my chest. I don’t know if there is any truth to it but I did read somewhere that a pounding heart is a pottassium issue and a rapid heart rate is a magnesium issue- I would like someone to verify this for certain of course. I have rarely found taking magnesium on its own enough.

Yes I definitely cannot eat raw veggies or salads. I am back to eating winter squash and high electrolyte veggies like spinach, broccoli, avocados, pumpkin or winter squash and pumpkin seeds. Whenever I go to low or do IF for to many days in a row my symptoms become exacerbated- but not being all that hungry also doesn’t help. Keep us updated if upping carbs helps you!

(Edith) #51

I’ve had a possible interesting revelation.

My heart palpitations are usually at night. They start an hour or two before I go to bed.

Yesterday afternoon I was heading out the door to work and I ate about 1/2 ounce of dark chocolate. Within minutes my heart was pounding and palpitating. It lasted for hours. I must have an allergy or intolerance to the chocolate.

I frequently have a square or two of dark chocolate in the evening after dinner. Maybe the fact that I already have food in my stomach from dinner slows down the reaction so I don’t get the reaction until an hour or so later. Eating the chocolate on an empty stomach left no doubt about the cause.

I found something online about using pulse rate to test for food allergies. I am giving that a try. It is called the Coca Pulse Test.

I will keep you all informed if it turns out chocolate is the actual cause of the palpitations. Wouldn’t that be an easy fix? A sad fix, but an easy one.

(Davy) #52

I read on another thread regarding this palp.'s and rapid pulse, that Magnesium Taurate will calm it down. Or some ReMag. Just be sure you’re taking enough and at least 3 times a day to spread it out. One lady on her review said it wasn’t working, but she upped her intake of Mg Taurate to 1000mg per day, spread out. All of a sudden, her rapid pulse and palp.'s were 90% GONE. Anxiety GONE. Check out all the reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AESH6YQ/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered some. Dr. Dean says take a 1/4 tsp pink salt with each shot of Magnesium.

I’ve read two studies since, that say that Ketones often causes your pulse to go up and palpitations to come on.

(Edith) #53

If you can remember what studies, could you post their links by any chance?

(Kel Ta) #54

chocolate is a stimulant, has caffeine etc. therefore that could be a factor if it is having effects, but it also is high in magnesium as well

(Kel Ta) #55

Taking mag throughout day in supp form including Remag seems to cause sleepiness and mental lethargy- anyone else? Can only take it at night to avoid this issue

(Linda) #56

This cardio guy on youtube helped me tremendously.

He is the one that suggested Magnesium Taurate which resolved my palpitation issues.

There are so many helpful videos there, from ectopic beats (which were my issue) to the connections between meals and palpitations that I won’t link any specific video, but he covers them all. I can’t recommend his channel highly enough!

The cardiologist I saw blamed everything on caffeine. It was not my issue at all…

(Edith) #57

Thank you. I will definitely check this out.

(Kel Ta) #58

eating too little can cause a rise in cortisol as well as affect dopamine levels at night which cause intermittent awakening and disrupted sleep

(Edith) #59

Well, I haven’t resolved my palpitation issues
and they got worse, lasting for many hours. I went to the ER because my chest was starting to hurt. I’ll let y’all know what they find out.

I’m happily reading the forum while I’m waiting. :grinning:

(Kel Ta) #60

Hope you get to the bottom of this- and it has an easy remedy!