Palm Oil cause cancer?

(Liz) #1

Has anyone seen or heard anything about Palm Oil possibly causing cancer? I was approached about this and questioned on it and hadn’t seen anything or heard anything about it.

All I can say is that Nina Teicholz discussed palm oil in her book the Big Fat Surprise, and nothing about cancer came up; what she does talk about is all the mis-information that industry competitors get published to boost their own product.

The study linked in the article talks about contaminants in palm oil and not the palm oil itself, so it may be an issue of quality.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/01/12/does-nutella-cause-cancer-maker-fights-back-palm-oil-cancer-concerns/96481194/

(Liz) #3

Yes, you echo my sentiments exactly. I read her book and recall her
discussion on it. Thank you for confirming my suspension!

(Liz) #4

Haha. Suspicion
…its early

(Steve Stephenson) #5

Yes; here’s a story about a study:

Do the authors consider extra virgin coconut oil to be a palm oil? What about MCT oils; esp. Brain Octain oil?

Ghee has been suggested as an alternative to CO, but I avoid dairy because of its natural growth hormones that have been reported to enhance cancer growth. Does ghee have those hormones in it?

Traditional Inuit and Masai (for example) ate fat and meat (Masai also raw milk and blood) and had no cancer. How would this be explained by the study authors?