Organic peanut butter

(Tom) #1

I have organic peanut butter. Ingredients are just roasted peanuts, peanuts and sea salt. My question is about the oil that’s floating on top. Is that peanut oil? Which is a no for keto. So is this organic peanut butter a good thing or bad

So do you think peanut oil is more of a no than peanuts?

100 grams of peanuts has about 16 grams of carbs and half that is fiber

Peanut oil has no carbs. It is all fat and about 17/32/46 saturated/polyunsaturated/ monounsaturated

So arguably the stuff that isn’t the oil on top is the keto problem

(Todd Allen) #3

Refined seed oils are typically frowned on due to extraction processes involving heat and solvents which maximize yield but can damage oils and strip them of vitamin E and other protective factors. I don’t know for certain but I expect bottled peanut oil is not obtained by making peanut butter and waiting a few weeks for some oil to separate.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

The peanut oil used in Asian cooking is raw. It has a delicious taste and fragrance when you cook with it. It goes rancid quicker than the peanut oil we get in the US which is kind of tasteless by comparison, a processed food. The stuff on top of peanut butter has been roasted or heat treated if you will. This stuff has been well thought out and if peanut oil were keto friendly it would be on the recommended oil list. High in omega6 I believe like another legume oil, soy. I love peanut butter but I don’t buy it anymore.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #5

I eat some peanut butter occasionally that is organic. I think there is Omega 6 in Peanuts but I eat sources of Omega 3 FA during the week.

I probably shouldn’t but I get a lot of satisfaction from it. Sometimes mix some pure cocoa powder and vanilla in it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Absolutely I am much more concerned about oils than carbs. A few extra carbs only have very temporary effect on your metabolism. Vegetable oils compromise cell structures for years until that cell is replaced. When vegetable oils are incorporated into cell wall membranes they don’t function properly and can cause mutations. I’m not 100% about peanut oil but vegetable oils are insulinogenic and inflammatory and I believe peanut oil is in that category. Legumes are discouraged on a ketogenic diet.

(Marianne) #7

I’d check the ingredients, but I believe it is just peanut oil. You have to mix the oil with the solids for the “peanut butter” as it separates.

Love peanut butter too much and choose not to have it in the house. It used to be one of my binge foods, and once I eat a little, I tend to eat a lot.