Opening Up Results

(Jane) #21

Over 100 people lost their jobs at my company this week. Not furloughed - permanent. Not low paying service jobs - engineering and good-paying manufacturing jobs and some have been with the company 20-30 years. Sad.

And so it begins… I know this will anger those who are focused on the deaths, but feeding your family and keeping a roof over your head merits consideration also.

That sucks! I’m sure that’s actually hurting you guys. I’m in VA which my city is the 3rd most tattoo’d in the US, I think you guys are either #1 or #2. We got back the barbers/hair salons in Stage 1 but they’re trying to mandate masks (which they can’t legally do). So it’s fun alright! Our school are 100% online until next year. One the PLUS side, most supermarkets stopped that directional aisle nonsense.

(Jane) #23

That is the stupidest thing stores have implemented! Nobody in Arkansas paid any attention to it. When I went to the grocery store here in Illinois they were ignoring them too. :crazy_face:

(Jane) #24

I do :mask: up when I go to the store here since it is required.

(Mame) #25

that’s fine but remember you want to compare total death to total deaths, not totals to subset of deaths.
I have seen prelim March and April reports and in some areas the number of total deaths are two to three times higher. And yes we will have a clear picture as the months go on…
I am a data geek, but it is my job.

A job I am grateful to still have. In the end people will need to make their own decisions about the risks they are willing to take. And someone who needs to go out and make money to buy food to feed their children is probably going to take a lot more risks.
imo the important thing is to make your choice an informed one. And to be kind and respectful of other people’s choices.
But I don’t believe anyone else should choose for others in the long term.

Just saw an article that Mississippi is almost out of hospital beds. So if I was there that fact would change my behaviors. Because if I get sick I want to be someplace where I can get medical care. But that’s my viewpoint and that may not be something other’s care about.

(Jane) #26

I agree. I have no problem with people choosing to isolate as much as possible to reduce their risks. I have a problem with people tyring to make other people feel like they are killing someone else or don’t care if there are COVID deaths for trying to feed their families or keeping THEM in food and supplies.

My eldest son puts himself at risk every day so you can have hand sanitizer and agricultural products so you have food to eat. My yongest puts himself at risk every day so you can buy that home gym equipment and guns and ammo to feel safe. Guess what - he is scared to go to work every day. The eldest is like me - que sera sera - we will deal with it when we have to.

(Mame) #27

seems like you have a range of risk tolerance in your family. I do as well.

I think it can be so hard for people to assess risk and make good choices for oneself while at the same time acknowledging life is a risky business and there has always been so much out of our control. :pensive:

for me I strive to remember that people try to do the best they can. and that kindness and peace is something we all deserve – we don’t need to agree with each other. thanks for the thoughtful conversation @Janie

(John) #28

This is sad. That is why I have never understood why we didnt do a real shut down for 2 to 4 weeks instead of stretching out this half ass political battle.It funny. Trump wanted to shut things down and of course the dems had to argue to do the opposite. Now Trump wants to open things up and the left wants it shut down. I just wish decisions were being made based on health and economics not politics. I only throw economics in there because it is something that needs to be looked at when closing and opening the world.

(Peter) #29

Yes, that’s pretty obvious that you want to keep politics (“Dems are bad!” (repeat)) out of it.

(Jane) #30

So true. There have been nearly twice as many deaths on the highway since the beginning of the year as COVID deaths in my state. And that is presumably with less traffic on the roads. Life is risky.

(Jane) #31

How many people can go 4 weeks on short notice (except the Mormons) without a single trip to the grocery store?

Are you willing to live 4 weeks w/o electricity, water, garbage collection? Because it takes PEOPLE to provide those services and guess what??? They can’t do that working from home.

I’ve lived through that in the short term during a hurricane. Most people cannot imagine.

The funny thing is I CAN LIVE 4 weeks w/o public utilities and the grocery store since I had the forethought to install a generator with a dedicated 500-gal propane tank that provides electricity (only utility I pay for) and powers my water well pump. I have a septic system.

I also realize that I am unique (weirdo) and most are dependent upon the supply chain, electricity, sewer, natural gas, etc. Like my kids. Like I was when I lived in Houston.

When was that? I recall he wanted to stop foreign nationals and non-US residents flying in from China and eventually from parts of Europe but I don’t recall him calling for a full shut down or even for a quarantine of returning travellers.

(Jane) #33

So do you have an income regardless of the economy? Like a guaranteed retirement or SS??

Not sure why you’re asking me that as it doesn’t seem relevant to my post which was a genuine question.

(Peter) #35

Non-sequitur, exactly what she did to me in a different thread. Straw men galore.

Re opening.

(Jane) #37

You don’t have to answer as it is a personal question. But like @cervyn pointed out - those who have families to feed will be willing to take more risks and you have criticized those for putting others at risk. Your own circumstances color your opinions just like mine do and it helps me understand why you feel a certain way.

Not necessary to the conversation if you don’t feel comfortable sharing.

(Jane) #38

Didn’t seem to help Australia

(Jane) #39

Can you sum up the hour-long video? Also the Johns Hopkins link keeps crashing but may just be my iPhone can’t handle it

(Jane) #40

I’m hoping my husband’s bowling teammate who is a nurse gets her full hours back soon. Not hoping for more COVID cases!!! Just normal health care. We only have 83 in the hospital in the entire state from the virus and 13 on ventilators (up by one) so not even close to being overloaded after 3 weeks of partial re-opening.