Ongoing Digestive Issues

Oh yes, don’t worry - I’m not about to deviate from carnivore and start eating SAD.

I really am super patient and before I had Covid, I felt really well within myself - the best I’ve felt in years. I also trusted my instincts when I had Covid and ate things that weren’t in my usual diet (but were still carnivore) - because I believe very strongly in being led by our bodies, and I figured I was seeking out certain vitamins. This theory seems to be right, seeing as now I take certain supplements, I no longer have the cravings.

My pondering is more about the specifics of carnivore, and whether what I’m currently doing is optimal for weightloss - it makes no odds to me whether I eat, for instance, a steak for lunch or a block of butter and 1/3 of a steak for lunch, and they have very different macro ratios.

I just feel a little anxious that I don’t want to tread water if it’s something I can adjust - and higher fat is something that keeps coming up in carnivore circles of late, especially for women. I know Kelly Hogan has done higher fat recently, and her ketone levels were above 0.8.

Just thinking out loud, really; I know it’s not something other people can answer. :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

That you’ll have to experiment to figure out. Amber O’Hearn feels that many carnivores are not getting enough fat, for example, but people’s protein needs vary so greatly, that others may do better with proportionately more protein.

It also tends to be unclear whether someone is talking about fat:protein as a proportion of calories, or in terms of their relative weights. This is important, because 69% fat, 31% protein by calories is 1:1 by weight. So when someone advises 2:1 fat to protein, do they mean twice as much fat by weight, or slightly less fat than protein by weight (which would be 66%:33% of calories)?

Whenever I saw this ratio, that was the case but indeed, it’s best to be clear.
I would use whatever is good for me anyway… And our protein and energy need is so individual that 2:1 in general doesn’t seem a good idea even for the ones who have problems with higher protein… But maybe I base this on myself: my body doesn’t care about the ratio much as long as I enjoy my food, get enough protein and a decent amount of (not too little, not too much) calories. With my indiividual needs and tastes it gives me a smallish range. 2:1 is out of question but I do need high protein so I don’t have a problem with it.

@Septimius: Good luck for 2023! Hopefully I will do my first long carni trial and get results myself :wink: I experimented a lot in the last years so I have an idea what to do and suspect what I am able to do (much more/better than before)…

(Linda ) #24

I discovered an medical article two days ago talking about rising blood sugar low ketones and its to do with insulin and glycogen when our insulin goes too low our blood sugar rises they say it’s not the amount of protein. Per say but our insulin drops too low …the smaller meals less protein seem to stop it from happening not sure why but I too was like you with low ketone numbers but after doing this for weeks now ketones 3 or higher its not that we been doing it too long to read ketone numbers I think its we keep our insulin too low and that’s causing issues and if we making glucose we not making ketones

If you’ve still got the article to hand, @Azi I’d love to read it (no problem if not!).

Really great to read you getting 3 consistently after all this time. I read lots where people said low numbers were a consequence of being on keto/carnivore for a long time, but given Kelly’s numbers, that didn’t seem quite right.

Are you doing multiple meals a day? I’m currently doing 2 (1pm and 6pm with a long fast overnight) but they’re big meals, so maybe 3 or 4 smaller meals would suit me better.