One Week of Food: Pics and Prices!

(Windmill Tilter) #1

For those of you out there that do one grocery shopping trip a week, I thought it might be interesting to get a snapshot into the weekly “menu” of our fellow ketonians. Put the groceries on the counter, snap a pic, prices optional. Let’s see your groceries!

This is my “boring keto” menu. It works wonders for dropping weight. When you eat the same thing every day for weeks, you only eat when you’re actually hungry because its so boring. When food ceases to be a source of entertainment/pleasure, you’d be surprised how fast the pounds drop off! :yum:

Here is my food for the week. I usually portion it all out in tupperware. It doesn’t take up much space in the fridge. The canned herring is pretty pricey at $5.00/lb, but it’s wild caught fish, and very fatty, so it’s an inexpensive way of balancing out omega 3/omega 6 ratio.

73% Hamburger: 5lbs @ $10.20
Herring: $2.12/serving @ $7.42
18 Organic, Cage Free Eggs: $3.87
1lb Bacon: $3.49
Bratwurst: $3.59

Total Cost: $28.57

(Mary) #2

Wait…! 1 lb of bacon lasts you a week…???

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

That’s pretty frugal, $4 per day. You’re doing ADF aren’t you? Then I guess it would be more like $6.50 per day. I have done something similar recently. I had lots of meat frozen but couldn’t chew it due to dental work. You can do KETO/Carnivore for not much money at all. I shop more than once a week though because I’m a bargain hunter and stash away deals in the freezer. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Windmill Tilter) #4

Lol. I guess I don’t buy bacon as often as most ketonians. I really prefer buying pork shoulder for $1.00/lb. I like to buy 2 ten pound pork shoulders, and I smoke them on my trusty weber kettle charcoal grill. Thats 15lbs of awesome pulled pork (minus bone weight) for $20.00, and I know nobody has added weird chemicals or sugar. It freezes extremely well, so that’ll set me up for months!

Yup. I’m doing ADF right now, so that keeps keto pretty damn cheap for me. The bacon and sausage are expensive on a $/calorie basis, so I don’t usually buy them. When I’m doing ADF though, I don’t mind splurging a little bit. :grinning:

Losing weight on keto doesn’t cost very much!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

And fasting is free! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Windmill Tilter) #6

I count fasting as keto. It’s 75% calories from fat, 25% from protein, and just a few carbs…:yum:

I used to refer to my extended fasting as a “strict cannabilism diet”, but my wife was pretty adamant that I not say that anymore. The irony is that I think the idea of fasting is more shocking to “normal” people than cannabilism…:hushed:

(Marianne) #7

Haha! Yeah, I see her point - probably not the best visual.

:rofl:

(Marianne) #8

What is this?

(Windmill Tilter) #9

ADF stands for alternate day fasting. Basically, I only eat every other day. It saves on groceries, and burns about 2lbs of fat a week. I really like it.

(Marianne) #10

Thank you.

That’s great; I hope I can work up to that at some point in the future. I do a 48-hour fast once a week, but not my favorite thing. It isn’t difficult, I just don’t like not eating. Makes me somewhat anxious.

Oh great, I like such pictures and data :slight_smile: If I manage to eat simpler (there’s a chance it will happen soon), I take a photo myself but alas, it wasn’t my thing this far. I tend to have multiple-courses meals using zillion different ingredients (I can eat anything on keto I want). It’s simpler since I lost interest in vegetables but I will never reach this level of simplicity. Or the amount of meat, that would be too expensive for me and anyway, I love my eggs in bigger amounts.
I hope others will make such photos, I would be really interested in seeing them!