One high carb meal?

(Jeff) #1

Will having a carb dense meal have a very adverse effect on ketosis ?
I have now been on keto for 12 weeks and not cheated once. But I have a special day lined up, and I was thinking of treating my self to something I used to really love.
Once you are fat adapted, will high carbs for one meal really be a set back. I just want to clarify I will be around 16 weeks on keto when I plan this meal. And I don’t feel like carbs are an enemy anymore.

(Allie) #2

Should be fine. May halt fat loss for a day or two, likely cause fluid retention for a few days too, but after sixteen weeks your body should be able burn the glucose and get back on track quickly.

Special occasions should be enjoyed, just get right back on track after.

(David Brown) #3

No problem at all. The carbs will be absorbed that fast that you’ll be back on track in no time. You can minimise the damage by having an itense all over body workout before if you like. I have a pizza every two weeks about 8pm my blood ketone levels are back to the usual amount by 11am next day.

(Carl Keller) #4

Processed carbs are still unhealthy to a large degree. I think starches will be a lot more forgiving on your body than sugary foods and that some water gains might result from your one high carb meal. But I do love a good experiment to test our metabolic flexibility.

I learned a few things about myself when I ate foods I had avoided for months:

1. They don’t taste the same as I remembered them. My tastes have evolved and things I used to enjoy, don’t have the same palate appeal.

2. I ate those things with a small degree of guilt. It kind of felt like speeding through a school zone.

3. My gut chemistry has changed and real sugar now has a mildly upsetting effect on my stomach.

4. Returning to LCHF gives me a sense of relief. It’s kind of feels like I slept on somebody’s couch for a night and then I came home to my own bed the next night.

(Jane) #5

You will be fine. It will stop your fat loss for a few days and you may gain or stall a bit but no biggie. Hopefully you are in for the long haul and that means truly enjoying special occasions.