Omg! Pork belly!

(Edith) #1

Okay y’all, I’ve been following this way of eating for 20 months and I’ve never had pork belly until last week. I finally made some!

OMG! IT IS DELICIOUS! I could eat it three meals a day. No wonder everyone who posts about pork belly thinks it is so great.

I made my second one yesterday and had it for breakfast. Yum!!! :yum:

(MooBoom) #2

My fiancé and I cook up 2 kgs of pork belly roast once a week and eat it everyday pretty much. Not sick of it yet!

(Daisy) #3

I have yet to try it. Planning on it very soon though!!

(Mark Rhodes) #4

I recall Carl doing a pork belly run…I think it was almost a year ago with some pretty good results.

Yep. Found it here: I'm losing weight again after a 1.5 year stall

How did you prepare it?

(Alex) #6

usually not the cheapest cut of meat in the market, but it is ABSOLUTELY worth it. so friggin tasty. if you eat eggs, try dicing the pork belly and cooking it in a pan until it’s nice and crispy (like you would bacon), then mix in some scrambled eggs and cheese!! so much yum :yum:

(Pete A) #7

A mainstay here, I’m glad you’re enjoying!

(Alba Loren) #8

Can you get pork belly in any supermarket? I live in Rhode Island so there is a bit of a cultural Melting Pot I’m imagining I can get it just about anywhere I hope I would love to try some I’ve had different types of pork items but never pork belly.

Filipino market would be a safe bet or probably any Asian market :slightly_smiling_face:

(Retta Stephenson) #10

We have a local butcher shop that occasionally carries it. I call and if it’s in, they put my name on it and hold it. Buy it in about 10 to 12 lbs packs. I cut it into about thirds, and cook one and freeze the others for later. So… I’d suggest you call a local butcher shop and see when or if they have some, or can order you some. Yum! :heart_eyes:

(Jeff Henderson) #11

How is everyone cooking it anypictures? I’m ready to try to make some myself. I’ve only had it at restaurants and barbecue joints here in CT, so good.

(Edith) #12

The pork belly I found did not have a rind, just a layer of fat, probably not as thick as it could be.

I made a barbecue rub for it and rubbed it all over the pork. Then I put it in the frig for four hours. You can put it in the frig for up to 24 hours. I poured out the juices and baked it in a 450 degree F oven for 30 minutes and then a 250 degree F oven for 75 minutes.

I let it cool and wrapped it up and then put it back in the frig to chill. To serve it, I sliced it up into half inch thick slices and fried in a pan to soften up the fat.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn’t. It does require a little planning ahead. I would take a picture, but we ate it. :yum:

Edit: the timing was for a three pound piece of meat.

(Alba Loren) #13

Thank you so much for the information!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #14

Costco and Whole Foods here on the east coast carry them in my area.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Have a 1.2 lbs chunk of acorn fed, pastured pig pork belly that I scored the rind in a diamond pattern, brined in Redmond real salt and Sweve for an hour or two, and then vac sealed and processed Sous Vide at 154x24 hours. It got shocked in ice water, then put in the fridge. The final process will be rubbing with something like pepper/paprika/cinnamon/nutmeg/aleppo pepper flakes/lime peel, or brushed with a red chili adobo I have in my fridge. Smoked for half an hour or so at a low temp, and then roasted hot in the oven to turn those diamonds into crispy diamonds.

Here’s one I smoked last year… salt/pepper/cinnamon/clove/paprika

Best cuts of beef for the price?
(Retta Stephenson) #16

The pork belly I bought from Costco was “okay”, but not nearly as exquisite as the ones from the butcher. The Costco had the skin removed, had less of a fat layer and a thicker meat layer. Fine, if that’s what you are looking for. But I wanted a more Keto version, with a smaller meat layer and the skin layer that, after cooking, turns deliciously crispy. Just personal preferences I guess. :pig2:

Oh, and one of my personal favorites as far as spices is Redmond salt and GaramMasala. Score the skin side, rub in spices, and cook very similar to Edith. Wowzer, that’s good.

Any Aussies. Do yourself a favour and try the Crackling Pork Belly at The Bavarian chain of restaurants. The best pork belly I have ever tasted in my life.

I’ll be in The Gong soon - will see what I can do :yum:

Thanks for the heads up.

(Starfox Rose) #19

I may need to prepare myself mentally for pork belly… But this article makes my want to nibble it.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #20

If I really want a lot of pork belly, I go to the meat wholesaler and get a whole side for maybe $2/lbs. make five lbs of bacon, smoke a big piece, Sous Vide some. It’s an amazingly rich cut that is used in so many cuisines globally. It loves low and slow cooking. Braise, smoke, sous vide. It takes curing, brining, nearly any rub, marinade, seasoning, baste… and the skin.

Don’t buy without the skin. It can be the most amazing part when properly blistered under high heat.