Old scars softening

(Hannah) #1

Has anyone else noticed scars getting softer after starting keto? I started about two months ago. Yesterday I noticed that some old scars from 2015 have drastically softened. They used to be very hard and large until recently.

Interesting! I never would have thought anything otherwise, but I have a scar from a very deep mole removal close to 15 years ago, and sure enough, it is smaller and more flat. :thinking:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Yep! Your skin tags will go away, too. :+1:

wtf are skin tags?

(Jane) #5

A skin tag is a small flap of tissue that hangs off the skin by a connecting stalk.

@Janie thank you, I googled it in the end, never heard of such a thing before.

(Doug) #7

I had some raised keloid scars on both shin areas - remnants of a 2011 encounter with some collapsing metal steps (my own stupidity prominently involved). They were about 1/6 of an inch or 4-5 millimeters high, and purple-pink in color.

Last year after 8 months of keto and fasting, they had noticeably gotten smaller. Now it’s 16 months and on both legs there is nothing raised above the skin at all, and on one leg nothing remains visible. On the other, there is a faint outline, a slightly different color than the surrounding skin, where the scars were. They really are going away.

Just found this thread, I’ve been wondering about Keto’s effect on skin. I am almost 8 weeks into Keto and have noticed that skin where I was sunburned severely as a kid is weirdly rubbing off. Maybe my skin/scars are healing there? That would be awesome!

(Dawn Michelle) #9

I’ve had a few moles drop off. The largest mole I have is now softening. It’s kind of strange, but cool.

Oh wow, that’s fantastic, I am all for free mole removal :grin: The dermatologist bill last time I had a small biopsy was ridiculously expensive.

(Mame) #11

A knee scar I have had since i was 12 is gone and several surgical scars are fading …

(Cynthia Anderson) #12

My mind is officially blown. I just looked for a scar I’ve had on my hand since I was a kid.

It’s gone.

Edit: I found it. It’s almost gone.

I checked other worse scars and most have seriously faded and are nearly gone.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

One bad scar is now a lot less prominent, finally, three-and-a-half years after the operation, and two years of keto later. But another scar from the same time is still red and obvious, though it, too, appears to be improving somewhat. The scars from the third and fourth operations healed up nicely and were hard to spot even before I started keto.

My conclusion is that, while keto can certainly help, it is not a magic cure-all.