Oh no No egg yolks

(Bob M) #21

I’m not even sure what to say about this. Using what mechanism? What type of strokes (there are clots and bleed through, the latter usually helped by eating --gasp! – saturated fat)?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #22

For 5 years, I was eating 10-12 jumbo eggs whites, and 1-3 yolks a day. Did great. Albeit, I was constantly starved.

Now I eat 2-4 eggs a day… All the yolks, and maybe just keep 1 white to hold it together a little better. Doing great now too, but not as starved all the time.

I think eggs are a super food.

(Todd Allen) #23

Large eggs are typically found to have about 125 mg of choline. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine suggests for a man the AI (adequate intake) for choline is 550 mg/day and the TOL (tolerable upper limit) is 3500 mg/day. So 2 dozen large eggs per day is well within the upper limit.

I find the choline->TMAO->heart disease hypothesis fishy. It has been promoted by vegans to discourage animal product consumption. However it is well documented that the food that most raises blood TMAO is fatty fish and yet study after study has shown lower rates of heart disease with high consumption of fatty fish.

Here’s a story on a study suggesting the reason a diet high in fish reduces heart disease risk is because it raises TMAO…
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181106073239.htm

It was previously thought that TMAO blood plasma levels – and heart disease risk – rise after the consumption of red meat and eggs. However, “it seems that a fish-rich and vegetarian diet, which is beneficial or at least neutral for cardiovascular risk, is associated with a significantly higher plasma TMAO than red meat- and egg-rich diets, which are considered to increase the cardiovascular risk,”

“A new finding of our study is that [a] four- to five-fold increase in plasma TMAO does not exert negative effects on the circulatory system. In contrast, a low-dose TMAO treatment is associated with reduced cardiac fibrosis and [markers of] failing heart in spontaneously hypertensive rats,”

from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Choline-HealthProfessional/

Some researchers have suggested that choline might protect cardiovascular health by reducing blood pressure, altering lipid profiles, and reducing levels of plasma homocysteine [3]

And here is a fascinating disturbing story about the man whose career was nearly destroyed for finding a strong association between homocysteine and heart disease.
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/10/magazine/the-fall-and-rise-of-kilmer-mccully.html
which I recently learned about through this podcast
http://ketonaturopath.com/episode-79-the-fall-and-rise-of-kilmer-mccully-the-origin-of-the-homocysteine-story/

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Guess I need to up my yolk consumption. My genes report I need lots of choline supplementation because I don’t process it easily.

Yeah he is a dr. but remember he is also the dr who ate lentils and rice right before his colonoscopy. His dr. told him not to eat for three days, but he kept right on eating as he normally does. His dr. really let him have it on TV. It was about the last dr. show I saw. Couldn’t handle him any longer. Sometimes he had good guests, but him, meh.

(Bunny) #25

I wonder how much sugar = a heart attack

(Jane) #26

Then my great-grandparents and all of their neighbors should have died of heart attacks!!! But they didn’t. My great-grandparents lived into their 80’s and ate eggs and saturated fat EVERY day of their lives.

What they DIDN’t eat was a lot of sugar. They ate no processed foods, no seed oils. They ate bread at every meal, but not pasta and very little rice. Corn and peas in season.

(Doug) #27

That’s a new one for me… For a long time I’ve been hearing that choline helps us digest fats, and that eggs furthermore have lecithin (also known as phosphatidylcholine) and that even from the standpoint that “saturated fat clogs arteries,” eggs are a special case because the lecithin is a mitigating factor, there.

(Jane) #28

Haven’t found the original study yet - have you?

I did find one article that Dr. Roizen says consuming extra virgin olive oil and red wine “stops bacteria in your digestive system from turning choline, l-carnitine and lecithin from food into TMA, a precursor that the liver then converts into TMAO.”

Hey - red wine??? I’m good with that! :laughing:

The reported association between choline status and CVD risk is linked to homocysteine and TMAO concentrations; however, this area is not fully understood, and that evidence exists for pathways that could, at least in theory, either increase or decrease CVD risk. Elevated homocysteine concentrations have been positively associated with a risk of CVD [94,95]. In prospective cohort studies, dietary choline intakes were negatively associated with homocysteine concentrations, and plasma betaine concentrations were also negatively associated with risk of CVD [96,97]. In contrast, a recent meta-analysis reported no evidence of a positive association between dietary choline or betaine and CVD incidence [98].

Summary in relation to Dr. Oz: Media doctor vilifies another essential nutrient in human diets.

He may not have got his facts right. But that never is the aim is it? Celebrities of Dr. Media calibre are doctoring the media. That’s why we have to keep a close eye on our podcast MDs, in case they get a taste of celebrity and lose their primary focus. The celebrity doctors thrive off controversy and publicity. Are we adding sugar to his low fat fire?

Fee,fie, foe, fan, I smell the agenda of a vegan.

(David Jackson) #30

It was dr OZ who I heard on the radio making a solid case to avoid “white foods” (sugar starch etc) which led me to keto.

Remember when Americans were suggested to supplement with choline and inositol

(Central Florida Bob ) #31

As the saying goes, “even a broken watch is right twice a day”.

If he was right a bazillion other times and wrong on this, he’s still wrong on this.

(Allie) #32

I’ll carry on with my diet of at least four a day. Apparently I’m a good advert for eating eggs :joy:

(LeAnn Kurtz) #33

Dr. Oz is a charlatan. Millions of doctors have fact checked him and the results aren’t pretty. Keep eating eggs, as long as they’re pastured and humanely raised. There is a huge difference in nutritional value between pastured and factory farmed. That is really the key to all meat and dairy that you consume.

(Jane) #34

The only nonsense I fell for was seed oils and complex carbs are healthy.

I never stopped eating eggs, butter, salt or bacon even though they were considered some of the most unhealthy foods you can consume. And they drummed that into us for YEARS.

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

Hey, another reason to enjoy red wine. It is getting cooler here and red wine sounds great right now.

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

And you know where your eggs come from and loving well the hens are treated. :fist_right::fist_left:

(Allie) #37

Yes, doesn’t get any better :heart:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #38

You’re going to either have to start eating more eggs or get another thingamajig.

(Bob M) #39

Is that some kind of egg roller coaster? :grinning:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #40

It looks like something you would want out of the reach of young children! It looks like those bead sliding toddler toys with messy potential! :joy::joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face: