Oh my gosh I was starving and I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

(Wendy) #21

Yep! Bet you wont forget next time you look at the peanutbutter jar. I dont even have pb and j in the house. My husband would scarf it. He has been Keto a year Nov. Lost 65# but has admitted to having a food addiction. He could pack on the weight pretty fast if he let his appetite get the best of him.

After not eating for days is a different situation! There is a reason many people are very careful how to break their fast. Sugar is usually a bad idea (I totally did that after 120 hours ages ago but I had my reasons, it was tiny and I felt just fine afterwards. I wouldn’t choose that now).

Indeed, gluten might be a problem. Not for me, I tested it when I inhaled 80-120g of it (I imagine it is considered much even very occasionally) and felt right as I didn’t combine it with too much carbs but we are different.
It’s hard/impossible to say what caused the problem as there was starch, sugar, gluten, peanut, breaking a fast…

It doesn’t mean this effect can be expected every time when eating more carbs in the future, not at all.
Our reaction is different, I mean, for the same person, freshly out of keto. I went off keto zillion times in the last years and I can have an educated guess what happens if I eat a certain amount of something but there are very unusual exceptions. Sometimes I eat a huge amount of carbs for me and nothing (it happened only once, though, I usually feel something just not much), sometimes it’s a little and chaos ensues, never pain but some annoying problem, usually hunger and serious loss of control. It matters a lot what kind of carbs I eat and probably that it’s almost alone or not. I won’t try eating carbs without a ton of fat and protein.
Peanuts may be problematic too, even I started to feel my body doesn’t like it very much. I can handle a bit but the feeling is there.

So this sandwitch after a longer fast, yep, it would cause problems for many of us even if we handle this amount of carbs normally.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

@Brian_Bfd I wouldn’t want you to miss this.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #24

PB and jelly ? Sure, no problem !
Just use sugar free jelly and PB, and put it on some of my Keto bread, Bam ! :slightly_smiling_face: Great snack !

Edit; it’s no wonder so many people have such a hard time sticking to Keto. It’s because they do the “hard kind of Keto” to stick to. I don’t miss anything. Their is pretty much a Keto version of everything I ate in my old carbage eating life.

Good thing is that since you came off a multi-day fast then you will probably lose weight anyway. I have a friend who ate OMAD with nothing off limits and lost weight pretty fast. Just calculated his calories by eating fast food combos most of the time. I don’t advise that due to prolonged calorie restriction and no control over hunger due to the carbs, but my point is that the one meal isn’t going to hurt weight loss if that’s what you are after. The main thing is to get back on track and not let that lead to days of bad eating. That is my biggest problem, when it’s good it’s good, but the bad is really bad and prolonged.

(Karla Sykes) #26

I usually stay below 40 carbohydrate grams a day if I have a good week if usually under 20

(Karla Sykes) #27

I totally agree with you and I have all that at home but I was at work that’s the problem

(Wendy) #28

To help incase this problem comes up agian while you are at work. Carry a snak! If your work has a fridge, through some string cheese or a portable snak , beef jerky. Some nut packs. So you wont get caught off guard.

(Brian Bfd) #29

This was written with the intent of making light of my experience at my expense. Having to change your lifestyle and make drastic changes is serious enough. Why not try to make it a little more bearable by having a little fun with it.
I really appreciate the constructive comments along with the related experiences.
I have been keeping my carbs between 30 and 30 carbs and not taking advantage of any of the keto versions of things I might normally eat. I am doing the “hard kind of Keto” because I need to lose about 140 pounds in a somewhat short amount of time for several health reasons including some allergies that have developed late in life. By short amount of time I’m talking about a 12-14 month period and I just passed the 6 month point a few days ago. Most likely my harsh reaction was not only due to the amount of sugar/carbs it was probably related to allergies as well.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #30

Since I made the cross reference, I will respond to this. No, it wasn’t. I referenced your experience to help Karla realize she wasn’t all that bad off from hers. This topic is about Karla getting so hungry on a multi-day fast that she ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and felt sick after eating it. Your experience was far worse than Karla’s and I simply wanted her to maintain some perspective. I did not make light of your experience either here or in your original topic. In fact I said I thought many folks would take to heart your experience and be thankful they didn’t have to learn it the hard way.

This is a public forum and what you post anywhere can and will be linked to other topics and discussions whenever someone thinks it’s relevant to do so. If people get a chuckle from your tale of woe, it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re making light of you and what you went through. It’s more likely they’re feeling relieved that they dodged a bullet that hit you. They’re not rejoicing that it hit you, only that it missed them.

(Brian Bfd) #31

Somehow we aren’t even on the same page. How you interpreted that from one sentence is beyond me. The whole pont of the original post was a learning point/experience and to have some fun at the same time. There wasn’t anything posted that I felt like was having fun at my expense, this is just your interpretaion of a post I made. If I had said that in person you’d have been able to see the body language, the inflextion of my voice and picked up on my entire meaning. I could care less if someone did have fun at my expense intended or not, I don’t take myself or this journey I’m on so seriously. I got myself into this situation and it’s up to me to get out of it, and maybe share ups and downs along the way.

I did my research, consulted physicians, nutritionalist and a couple of trainers.
I have my own goals and I’m not going to let everything/anything I read influence me or cause me to deviate from my path. If others want to waffle or change direction based on reading my post there’s nothing I can do about that. I do not and will not post something telling anyone what or how they should do what they’re doing, only my experiences and helping celebrate the successes of others. You can continue to go about the forum championing whatever you want, I just don’t care. Perhaps keep on scrolling whenever you come across one of my posts and we won’t have any further misunderstandings.

You do you and I’ll do me.

You can, and you absolutely would. We’re built like that for a reason. Survival overrides your choices. Bum’s don’t eat trash because they want to!

(Karla Sykes) #33

He’s totally right and I totally agree with him. Nobody was making light of your situation it was just a reference point to how I got sick after eating

Probably but not necessarily. People still choose even when it’s about life or death. Not everyone eat (not kill, just eat) humans, for example but many do, of course.
Maybe some people hate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich insanely much. But I agree, it’s probably a slight exaggeration, we humans do that. And we don’t actually know our reactions in bad situations we never was in.
When I starved, I felt no hunger. I wasn’t cold either and the room temperature was 8C/46F all the time (and I had to go into the freezing snowy outside for my bathroom breaks).
It’s probably super hard to die of thirst of our own will, easier to do it with hunger but some people do dry fasts for several days even if they harm themselves in the process. So someone surely could refuse that (not really tempting sounding) sandwich. Not many, after a few weeks without food, I imagine. I never fasted for that long so I am not sure but I probably would eat almost anything vaguely edible. But I would be pretty choosy on the first week.
And we have an interesting psyche. We can override very serious instincts. Not all but refusing to eat something is possible as we know, people starve and even kill themselves that way.