Observation of 1 day of high protein

You’re right, ZC doesn’t follow high protein/moderate protein. Unfortinatrly I gained a lot of weight eating ZC the way they prescribe. Now that I am eating ZC but with high fat/moderate protein, I have lost over half the weight I gained.

(Chris) #5

Do you incorporate any fasting?

(What The Fast?!) #6

Are your over calories lower doing moderate protein, high fat? Are you adding fat to meat or just choosing fattier meats?

(Jason Fletcher) #7

can you link this article

(roxanna) #8

I definitely do better with high fat/moderate protein, but one of the things I’m loving about ZC is not tracking. I’m not willing to track my protein right now! I just try to eat fatty foods and go from there. I do love chicken though so sometimes my meat’s a bit leaner.

Yes. I vary my IF between OMAD, 18/6, 48 hr and 72 hr fasts.

If the meat is lean, I add fat. If it’s fatty, I may add it only if my appetite guides me to, otherwise not usually. About a week ago I experimented with not counting calories and eating strictly by true hunger. However, before I stopped counting I was eating on average about 1475 cals a day (my BMR is 1200) which is where I generally felt satiated, and was consistently losing inches. Yesterday, with the high protein experiment I thought it best to gauge my calories and it turned out my hunger yesterday led me to eat over 1900 cals.

I know what you mean. I find I’m finally comfortable no longer tracking cals or macros on ZC as long as I first make sure my meals contain a good amount of fat and I’m incorporating IF. With chicken, I tend to avoid the white meat. I always eat the skin and will sometimes smother it worth homemade mayonnaise. :slight_smile:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/does-excess-protein-get-stored-as-fat.html

This link sites the study.

(Chris) #13

Don’t know why I asked, you already made this clear to me haha.

(What The Fast?!) #14

I’m not restricting…per se…but I am tracking everything so I have the data. If we eat out at a restaurant on the weekend, I’ll just write it in my log and guesstimate. Right now, I’m averaging around 1500, and range from around 1200 to 2000 though I really don’t know how accurate that is. The ground beef I eat is from a local farm, so no idea the fat content, and I never know how accurate the steak I eat is, because it all varies in marbling, you know? I’d say I’m eating between 125 and 175g protein, with a lower day and higher day here and there. That’s 2-3x the protein I was eating with regular keto, and I’m in still in ketosis with good BG numbers. I know most people don’t worry about ketosis when they do ZC, but I’m trying to maintain it.

Still nada with clothes fitting differently or weight loss. I’m like…3 lbs down, but my weight basically goes up and down between the same numbers.

(Jason Fletcher) #15

I do not see a relationship of what was in the study and what happened to you. Amino acids in the protein could cause a increase in insulin response driving down blood sugar causing cravings. There are a lot of factors other then the amount of protein that would cause this as well. On another note I do wonder why some who complain about the impact protein has on there IR. Don’t log everything they are eating. IF in fact they are measuring the protein they eat It is just an trend i am starting to see with some.

I think Richard did an experiment where he ate the minimum protein recommended by his government, I think .8 per kilo of lean BM. Over the course of two months he gained half a kilo of lean mass as evidenced by Dexa before and after do not remember details exactly. I think the extra protein will stimulate insulin and make you hungry

I didn’t indicate there was a relationship between the study and what happened to me, only that the study prompted me to wonder if the amount of protein I had been eating would lose lean mass.

Thanks. I’ll try to find that.

(Sonia A.) #19

You’ll find Richard’s experiment here

(Sonia A.) #20

Sorry, I don’t think the link above is what @Saphire was talking about (Richard is really prolific :grinning:). This experiment is more relevant to your case :

Yes that is the one.

He talked about it on his podcast

(Doug) #22

@MelTar - Mel, I’d be interested to see how you feel on other days, eating the same way. One day’s experience could be due to a number of things; more data would remove some uncertainty.

Can’t rule out individual exceptions, but seems to me that the vast majority of people are quite good at preserving lean mass. For the developed world, you really don’t hear much about “protein deficiencies,” eh? My gut feeling is that if protein consumption is targeted, that we’ll more easily err toward eating too much, rather than too little. Not sure that’s even worth 2 cents, but it’s my opinion. :slightly_smiling_face: And perhaps I’m projecting my own tendency there, i.e. even if I’ve had a day’s protein already, might just conjure up some “need” to eat a 2 or 3 lb. steak in one sitting.

(Jason Fletcher) #23

I understand. It is hard to not question everything and let your mind play games. I find logging everything you can helps. Getting a Skulpt to measure body fat is a good tool to have as well or even a tape measure. Once you see everything you are doing you can have confidence in what you are doing is working and is right. When everything is on paper you will be able to make adjustments according to your current goals.