Oat Fiber.... not keto?

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

I have no idea, @KYZ was asking about using it in some recipes from a keto cookbook, and some one replied they used it :

rettakatRetta StephensonLegacyJul '17
I just made sugar free zucchini choc chip cookies using oat fiber as one of the ingredients.

Oat Fiber, Per 1 Tablespoon:

Calories 0
Total Fat 0g
Total Carbs 3 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0
Protein 0

Net carbs, minus fiber: 0g

so sorry, saw this post from work and forgot to post when I got home… This is the biscuit recipe I use oat fiber in. They are really good fresh, but I’m not a huge fan of them leftover.

PS Oat fiber helps make an awesome pie crust. See video (recipe in description) here:

(Sophie) #23

Since this post, I’ve been using Oat Fiber for my pancakes. It’s awesomeness! :heart_eyes:

(Brian) #24

I don’t know if it’s “keto” or not. It IS low carb. It’s pretty much low everything, except fiber. (Not to be confused with oat flour, two different things!) For the most part, oat fiber is about texture.

Purists may have a problem with it because it’s a grain. I say, if it’s not a problem for you, and if it helps you to enjoy some low carb foods that you wouldn’t get to otherwise, go for it. The keto police aren’t going to be blasting through your door to scold you.

(Stefanie CB) #25

I use a home made imitation Trim Healthy Mama baking blend. It makes for perfect pancakes, mug cakes and Dutch babies.

It is:
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 coconut flour
1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup oat fiber
1 TBS baking powder

I use 2 heaping TBS with one egg and almond milk to desired consistency for pancakes.

1 cup baking blend and 1 cup almond flour with 6 eggs, 4 TBS cream cheese and almond milk plus 2 TBS swerve and 1 tsp baking powder with almond milk to desired consistency, topped with frozen berries, optionally almond slivers and powdered swerve for a European style torte that can be topped with whipped cream.

(Cathy) #26

Oat fiber is fine in terms of carbohydrates but many people believe that any grain is counter to good health and oat products fall into that classification.

(Mel Langer) #27

Oat fiber is derived from oats but it is not the same as using oats nor the same as using oat bran, it is completely different as it is the fiber without the other properties. It has a 0% glycemic index, 27.1 grams of carbs per oz but you subtract the 27.1 grams of fiber contained to get the end result of 0 net carbs. On keto it is not the base carbs it is the net carbs. Oat fiber IS KETO. I hope that helps to clarify the issue at hand.

(Cathy) #28

Many people count all carbs including those that are fiber. The thinking is that some fiber is actually digest able or somewhat digestible so erring on the side of caution.

A bit of history ~ Dr. Eades (Protein Power) is the one who made the concept of netting out fiber popular and he has said he wished he had not because it is not really accurate.

(57545a7b73bd8be14bca) #29

Oat fiber is too expensive. Can I use phyllium husk instead ?

(Cathy) #30

Psyllium husk is very absorbent and will take up more liquid than oat fiber so I don’t think they are interchangeable.

(NADIA GOODMAN) #31

As with all things Keto /LCHF we need to work out what’s ok for us as individuals. When cautious about the mixed reviews then try for yourself. If it doesn’t cause spikes in glucose or kick you out of ketosis or whatever is relevant to the individual in maintaining their health status quo then give it a go.
I have just ordered a pack today :+1:

(Teb Tengri) #32

Most fiber ends up in the gut and there gets converted to short chain fatty acids, gas, etc iirc

As everyone else has said, if you don’t come out of ketosis and a glucometer doesn’t tell you it’s raising your fasted blood sugar you’re probably ok.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #33

I eat some oat fiber on my keto bread every day. My definition of keto is keeping my carbs very low. Period. Honestly, I don’t even care if I’m in ketosis. All that matters to me, is that I eat all I want. I enjoy all the food that I eat. And my weight stays down to exactly what I want it to, without really even trying… And this, coming from a guy who has been either obese, or fighting it his whole life.

(Teb Tengri) #34

@FishChris do you try to keep insulin from being constantly elevated or do you eat multiple times throughout the day?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #35

I really don’t worry about my insulin levels, and have rarely tested for it. I eat a BIG breakfast. A BIG dinner, and an occasional snack in between these main meals, or sometimes later. So mostly TMAD. Although on Sunday (not for religious reasons) I eat a my normal BIG breakfast, then I don’t eat again until Tuesday morn. So like a 22-26 hour fast… Just to kind of reset things.

BTW, I think its kind of funny that if I were to try to skip dinner on a typical weeknight, Id be ravaged hungry, and grouchy… But on Sundays, I skip dinner and its zero problem. I think its most psychological :slight_smile:

(Teb Tengri) #36

@FishChris wouldn’t a big breakfast on Sunday and not eating again until Tuesday morning be more 40-48 hours?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #37

My bad… Not again until Monday morning. I did a 48 hr one time, and it was horrible ! Hard to imagine how that could have gotten better after 72 hrs or longer.
I’m fine with my weekly 24 hr reset :slightly_smiling_face:

(Teb Tengri) #38

For me 48 is relatively easy it’s that slog from 48-60+ hours that gets me. The fact I’m married with a daughter and she cooks delicious smelling food doesn’t help

(Joshua Liswantoro) #39

There are a lot of low carb diets out there, and many people are confused by their names.

Keto diet is the most extreme low carb diet that limits the maximum of the net carb diet to between 15-30gr per day. There is no restriction on the sources.

Paleo diet, on the other hand, doesn’t really limit the carbs. However, they limit sources only to what humans usually ate during the paleo era. The grain is out of the pictures, which means that Oat Fiber is also out of the picture.

(Cathy) #40

Paleo is not low carb unless one omits things like honey, rice etc.