NYT: Why Are We Still So Fat? Kolata strikes (out) again

failingmedia
bariatric

(Cheryl Meyers) #1

She gets soooo close to the eureka moment, then goes haring off down the pharma path. Quotes Kevin Hall, sheesh. Not one mention of keto diet.

By Gina Kolata

* Nov. 19, 2018

Whenever I see a photo from the 1960s or 1970s, I am startled.

It’s not the clothes. It’s not the hair. It’s the bodies. So many people were skinny.

In 1976, 15 percent of American adults were obese. Now the it’s nearly 40 percent. No one really knows why bodies have changed so much.

Scientists do a lot of hand-waving about our “obesogenic environment” and point to favorite culprits: the abundance of cheap fast foods and snacks; food companies making products so tasty they are addictive; larger serving sizes; the tendency to graze all day.

Whatever the combination of factors at work, something about the environment is making many people as fat as their genetic makeup permits. Obesity has always been with us, but never has it been so common.

Everyone — from doctors to drug companies, from public health officials to overweight people themselves — would love to see a cure, a treatment that brings weight to normal and keeps it there. Why hasn’t anyone discovered one?

It’s not for lack of trying.

Yes, some individuals have managed to go from fat to thin with diets and exercise, and have kept off the weight. But they are the rare exceptions. Most spend years dieting and regaining, dieting and regaining, in a fruitless, frustrating cycle.

There is just one almost uniformly effective treatment, and it is woefully underused: only about 1 percent of the 24 million American adults who are eligible get the procedure.

That treatment is bariatric surgery, a drastic operation that turns the stomach into a tiny pouch and, in one version, also reroutes the intestines. Most who have it lose significant amounts of weight — but many of them remain overweight, or even obese.

Their health usually improves anyway. Many with diabetes no longer need insulin. Cholesterol and blood pressure levels tend to fall. Sleep apnea disappears. Backs, hips and knees stop aching.

There are not nearly enough surgeons or facilities to operate on all the obese people who might be helped by bariatric surgery, noted Randy Seeley, director of the nutrition research center at the University of Michigan.

And many patients and doctors persist in thinking — all evidence to the contrary — that if overweight people really set their minds to it, they could get thin and stay thin.

Scientists got an unsparing look at what they were up against 50 years ago, when a clinical researcher at Rockefeller University, Dr. Jules Hirsch, did some old-fashioned experiments. He recruited obese people to stay at the hospital and subsist on a 600-calorie a day liquid diet until they reached a normal weight.

The subjects lost 100 pounds on average, and they were thrilled. But as soon as they left the hospital, the pounds piled back on.

Dr. Hirsch and Dr. Rudy Leibel, now at Columbia University, repeated the study again and again, with the same result. Eventually, they found that when a very fat person diets down to a normal weight, he or she physiologically comes to resemble a starving person, craving food with an avidity that is hard to imagine.

The lesson never really penetrated the popular consciousness. Just a couple of years ago, Kevin Hall, a senior investigator at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, made headlines with a study of contestants from the Biggest Loser television show. They lost enormous amounts of weight, he found, but rarely could keep it off.

Obesity’s genetic connection was conclusively demonstrated in the 1980s in a series of papers showing that body weight is strongly inherited, almost as strongly as height. Children adopted as infants ended up with weights like those of their biological parents. Twins reared apart ended up with nearly identical body weights.

It was beginning to look hopeless for obese people.

Then, in 1995, Dr. Jeffrey Friedman of Rockefeller Universitydiscovered what looked like the equivalent of insulin for diabetes — a molecule he called leptin that is secreted by fat cells and tells the brain how much fat the body has.

Leptin signals some sort of master controller in the brain. If a person is too thin — according to what the brain perceives as an acceptable weight — the brain signals that person to eat.

In fat people, that controller is set too high: their brains make sure they stay fat.

The drug company Amgen paid Rockefeller and Dr. Friedman $20 million for rights to leptin, hoping to develop it as an obesity treatment. The idea was to give leptin to obese patients so their brains would think they had too much fat.

If it worked, they ought to lose their appetites and drop pounds. By tailoring leptin injections, doctors might even fine-tune a person’s weight.

To everyone’s chagrin, leptin fizzled. Most people did not respond to leptin injections by losing weight. But leptin was a key to unlocking a complex network of hormones and brain signals that control body weight.

The problem was that no single target seemed to make much difference in weight loss.

“I think of eating as a survival mechanism,” said Dr. John Amatruda, a consultant and former executive at Bayer and Merck while trying to develop weight-loss drugs. “You need to eat, so our bodies are wired to have complex systems that are redundant.”

The hope now is to figure out how to have the benefits of bariatric surgery without the surgery. The operation alters the body’s orchestra of hormones and signals, among them leptin but also many others.

Afterward, tastes change. Many patients no longer crave the high-calorie foods that used to sate them. Many find they are no longer are ravenously hungry.

Might those effects be mimicked with a drug? Many researchers are trying, although most drug companies have dropped out of the obesity market, seeing no truly effective treatments on the horizon.

Even when drugs have been approved, they are rarely used. That’s not surprising, Dr. Amatruda said, because obesity medications on the market are either minimally effective for most people or have significant side effects — or both.

Dr. Seeley remains optimistic that a drug will be found. He studies mice and rats, giving them bariatric surgery and trying to untangle the web of biochemical changes that follow.

“We think we have good clues,” he said, “but nothing is far enough along.”

For now, researchers wish people — including fat people themselves — would stop blaming the obese for their problem.

“This idea that people should eat less and exercise more — if only it were so simple,” Dr. Hall said.

(Edith) #2

I have no article to quote, but from what I’ve heard, even bariatric surgery is no guarantee for keeping off the weight.

I think it’s all the Franken food in the diet, especially the oils.

(John) #3

Funny, that second paragraph describes exactly the results I get from a ketogenic diet.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Dieting does not work if you go back to your previous diet that made you overweight in the first place. Obvious, I know that everyone knows that. Lifestyle changes can be permanent. I believe that our bodies were not meant to live on carbohydrate rich grains and sugars. The fact that we can thrive on different foods is pretty unique to humans, part of our hunter gatherer past. Thriving on fruits and carbohydrates in the summer months and meats and fats in the winter. But I think that lifestyle included times of little food periodically. Our modern diet of processed foods is neither of those.

Surgery is just another bandaid for a poor lifestyle. My niece had the stomach staple procedure and lost some weight but continued to eat crappy fattening food and remained obese. She ended up dying in her sleep from heart failure before she turned 40. Carbs, sugar and processed convenience foods become an addiction to the body and like drugs destroy our health. I went through several days of sickness, cramps and misery when I went cold turkey into the Keto Diet. It was very much like opioid withdrawal that I went through after years of prescription pain management.

Fats without the carbs like on the Keto Diet are well tolerated, the combination of fats and carbs are destructive together at an excelerated rate. Hence our need to choose one path or the other, the better being fats as we believe on the Keto Diet. When you find what works stick with it. When we know better we do better. Live by that philosophy and remember you’re eating to live, not living to eat.

(Carl Keller) #5

This article is like trying to solve a murder by just looking at the victim while the smoking gun goes ignored.

(Cindy) #6

David, I hope you don’t mean to do so, but your post implies that it’s the victim’s fault.
“Dieting does not work if you go back to your previous diet that made you overweight in the first place.” and “Surgery is just another bandaid for a poor lifestyle.”

Granted, I’m not “every” obese person out there struggling with weight, but I can tell you that I did NOT have a poor lifestyle. All through my early twenties, I was active (heavy weight aerobics instructor, hiking, teaching outdoor environmental ed classes, lifting weights, etc). I ate as close to what I was told I was supposed to eat as possible…and yet the years just kept adding on the weight.

It’s not really the fault of the obese individual if, for years, what they’ve been told SHOULD work for weight loss…doesn’t. When you see an obese person guzzling a 64 oz drink, be kind. It could very well be that they’d tried CICO, they’ve tried WW and Jenny Craig, and so many others and they just couldn’t get the weight off to a significant degree. That leads to a strong sense of failure, hopelessness, and depression…and when you’re obese, often the only joy you have in life, the only “fix” for the sadness, is to indulge in the very food that got you that way in the first place. :frowning:

(Daisy) #7

:woman_facepalming:

(John) #8

Well, it was in my case. No mystery at all why I gained weight. I ate too much, of the wrong things, and stopped being physically active for quite a while. Nowhere else to place the blame.

(Bob M) #9

Meanwhile, I never stopped exercising, rode my bike 90+ miles per week in the summer, still gained weight.

(Kristin) #10

Yep. I spent 3 years of eating a clean diet, restricted sugar intake, powerlifting 2x/week, and walking 3-5 miles most days of the week and was still overweight. I was fit fat but still fat.

Then without the above physical regimen and then eating like the average American, I got fat fat - over 180 lbs at 5’1" and not fit at all.

(Laura) #11

I saw that article and was yelling at it - keto! Low Carb! Beats bariatric surgery.

(Cindy) #12

I’m not saying it’s not ever the individual’s fault. But I think society has blamed the victim for too long in this area.

It’s kind of like the argument I have with my mom. She smoked for 30 yrs. Decided to finally quit and she did. Just put the cigarettes away one day and never smoked again. It wasn’t super easy initially but she had to break the habit more than anything. Her cravings weren’t that bad. But, after she did cold turkey, then she thinks everyone should be able to just quit without patches, gums, etc. I try to tell her that it’s a lot WORSE for some people. Same for alcohol…some can stop drinking at any time, others fight the addiction their entire lives.

Weight loss is the same. Just because one person can cut out a bowl of cereal at night and lose weight (that’s my husband), it doesn’t apply to everyone. Finally after 28 yrs of marriage, my husband will say “Damn, you have to work so hard to lose weight!” and he understands the struggle.

I know, me too - drives me crazy. My husband came in to see what was wrong :slight_smile:

Keto (or fasting and keto) gives you those results that she is saying are impossible. Folks who lose 100 pounds on keto and keep it off just don’t complain about endless hunger and deprivation. Quite the contrary…

(Anne Brodie) #14

Totally agreed. Dr. Jason Fung has made the point that fasting and/or very low carb IS basically identical to (has the same affect) as surgery but without the risks and cost. I don’t have a specific link right off but have heard him talk about it in more than one case.

(Doug) #15

Obesity’s genetic connection was conclusively demonstrated in the 1980s in a series of papers showing that body weight is strongly inherited, almost as strongly as height. Children adopted as infants ended up with weights like those of their biological parents. Twins reared apart ended up with nearly identical body weights.

That certainly does not explain the vast increase in obesity over the last 40-50 years.

(Justin Jordan) #16

Yeah, those are related phenomena.

The SAD doesn’t make 100% of people fat, so it’s not JUST diet. What that study indicates (and there are caveats you could make) is that the propensity towards obesity probably has a strong genetic component, but it’s only in the presence of certain environmental factors.

Which seems to synch with real world experience - there are populations (like the Pima) who went from no obesity to extremely high rates of obesity in, by genetic standards, no time. It’s not the only explanation, but the likely one is that it’s diet and genes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

IIPerhaps you are right, I know that there are genetic issues as well with some people and not everyone has the same situation. My comment was more oriented toward the way the medical practices of surgery and drugs to cover up for the indulgence of our modern lifestyle. And much of the problem is from the processed food industry which gets us hooked on highly processed food that’s addictive and destructive to our bodies. I grew up in the 60’s and I believe that pesticides and food additives were especially bad during this era, so many have been banned by now. They were just figuring out how to make food that could be on the shelf forever. I know that it’s a discouraging uphill battle to lose a lot of weight. I’m sorry if I offended anyone, my comments were not meant to be disparaging or belittling in any way, more about anger with the way the modern world has developed and is killing us off. I have had a huge toll on my body because of it, losing a leg and a kidney from atherosclerosis. If I had known about what my future was heading toward and the advantage of a keto lifestyle I would still have both I would venture. Perhaps it is also anger with myself for taking so long to smarten up and take control. The Keto Diet has helped me a lot but my body is still under repair, I am still overweight and my glucose levels even on the diet are still much higher than they should be but we can’t expect an overnight fix Has the diet helped you make effective changes in your life? I hope you’re having success Cindy :sunglasses:

(Bob M) #18

We can’t be too hard on ourselves. When I was younger, I read Diet for a Small Planet, thought Dean Ornish was a God, read many fitness/bodybuilding magazines where saturated fat then fat itself was the Devil, etc. I ate a very low fat (<10% calories per day) diet, filled with super high carbs, because I thought that was healthy. In the 1980s, there was no Internet and no way to really check any of this. I only realize in hindsight how bad that diet was for me: constant hunger, mood swings, depression, etc. But if you think it’s “healthy”, and everything you read indicates it’s healthy, what can you do?

Genetics always plays a role. It’s why I was never a good bodybuilder and certainly not a power lifter (little genetics for bodybuilding and no genetics for power lifting) and why I never ran a 5 minute mile and why I was a slow cyclist. Unfortunately, things like BMI and CICO ignore genetics.