Nuts and nutrition

Quick question about nuts- not so much from a keto standpoint- except that on this diet a lot of us probably like nuts.

Are the oils i see on the packaging inevitable- peanut oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil? I’m starting to worry the nuts im eating may contribute to inflammation.

Anyone have some useful information about that?

Another question- in an effort to avoid the oils- i found a bag of mixed nuts that listed “milk” as an ingredient. I’m trying to avoid dairy- is that milk from the nuts- like say almond milk?

Thanks!!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #2

Look for dry roasted nuts, or buy raw and roast them yourself…

You can roast them in butter or other friendly oil like coconut or avocado…

Most commercial nuts are not really roasted, but fried in the listed oil, and your list, peanut oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil or any seed oil, is stuff to be avoided for sure…

(Joey) #3

Well put.

I’ll only add that nuts can become a challenge to carb management if you’re not rather careful about portion size. They’re healthy and good for you … in moderation. And “moderation” is extremely difficult to manage for many folks when it comes to a big jar of nuts (myself included).

(Laurie) #4

It’s good that you’re reading the labels. Many of the nuts in the supermarket snack section (or in convenience stores) have all kinds of things in them.

Look for the larger jars or bags of nuts. Many of these are raw and/or have no additives. You can roast or season them yourself if you like.

Or buy small bags of nuts in the baking section.

I second the notion that it’s easy to eat too many nuts. I need to stay away from them myself.

No such thing as a nut milk, it’s a make believe term. If an ingredients list says milk, it’s means actual milk. What that’s doing with nuts I have no idea.

(Joey) #6

Plain old almond milk? Coconut milk? :thinking:

Show me how to milk an Almond. Good luck! To make it easy in the event that you actually think nut “milk” exists, they soak nuts in water and then blend them smooth. At no point is there ever any “milk” It’s a term meant for marketing, there is no “milk”. It’s nut flavored water.

Coconuts do have a form of “milk”, but coconuts also aren’t nuts.

(Joey) #8

To avoid nut quips, I simply offer this haiku:

Ain’t no cooking show.
Sounds like you’ve convinced yourself.
So I’m movin’ on.

(Jack Bennett) #9

Nuts can be a nice snack but lots of people have trouble limiting them to a couple of ounces. Especially when roasted and salted.

They are also high in omega-6 fats which are pro-inflammatory.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

In the U.S., an ingredients list that says “milk” means cow’s milk, by law.

Thanks everybody for clearing that Up!

Just a suggestion: I buy (very) large bags of single type of nuts from Costco and dry roast them myself.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

I like to get raw almonds or pumpkin seeds, fry them in some olive oil and soy sauce, then finish them in the oven to dry out. But this is only an occasional treat. Like the others said here… portion control is a problem.

(Thomas) #14

Heart that. my new “granola” option is very small packs of raw, chopped hazelnuts from the baking aisle. A handful in fat yoghurt for a treat!