Nutrition and Diet Therapy Book (1918)

science
history

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #1

My daughter found this book in a local used book store.:grinning: As has been mentioned in another article, Keto has been a recognized diet for over a Century. As a new forum Member, I can only use one photo, but will add more in the comments.

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #2

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #3

(Cristian Lopez) #4

Ah Mayo Clinic😅

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Very cool piece of Ketogenic history you have there. I would love to read that. My 25 year old autistic son is keto and ASD and epilepsy have many common factors. Yes, the epilepsy Ketogenic Diet was developed at Mayo. Too bad they still recommend healthy grains now! The authors name is hilarious. :joy::joy::grin:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

The copy you have is the seventh edition and was actually printed in 1938. The ketogenic diet was a ‘thing’ during the 1920s and 1930s as a treatment for epilepsy. I doubt it was even conceived of as a ‘nutritional’ option initially. The Bellevue experiment with Stefansson and Anderson in 1928 was the first time I am aware of that a ketogenic diet, in this case carnivore, was tested as a realistic nutritional diet. The doctors of the period were convinced both men would die horrible deaths.

Full Text

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #7

I was wondering if the original edition, from 1918, still contained the basic text to the Keto diet as laid out in the 7th edition. Interesting history for sure. Thanks for sharing the other info!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

Yes, that’s a very interesting question. Since the relevant chapter is 31 starting on page 663 I’ll hazard a guess that it was not in the 1918 original edition but added subsequently.

I noticed the name Dr. Temple Fay and his so-called “dry diet”. So googled both and in combo. Didn’t find much in a cursory search, but Fay apparently was not active in neurology until the mid-late 20s. In 1929, he was appointed Professor and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at Temple University Medical School. In 1935, he combined the Chairs of Neurosurgery and Neurology.

My guess is he probably got involved with the ketogenic diet for epilepsy in the early-mid 30s. A couple of newspaper articles dated in 1937 cite a recent paper in the Journal of Mental and Nervous Diseases describing Fay’s “dry diet” for treatment of epilepsy. This is described as a modified ketogenic diet.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #9

Wow! What a find!

(Tempted to change my name to Fairfax T Proudfitt. What a brilliant name!)

:rofl:

('Jackie P') #10

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: