NSV: baking at the mall

(Jack Bennett) #1

We went to the mall early to get Christmas pictures taken for our kids.

Cinnabon ovens are running hot getting ready for the hungry shoppers.

It smells nice, kind of like perfume. But it doesn’t say “food” to me any more than Bath+Body Works does.

And I’m 21 hours fasted (coffee, water electrolytes, no calories). Feels good.

(Cindi Olson) #2

It smells nice, kind of like perfume. But it doesn’t say “food” to me any more than Bath+Body Works

I love that!! It is a huge help, you just provided my brain with a framework to attach those “used to be food” smells. Thank you!

(Jane) #3

Congrats!

When I used to do calorie-restricted, low fat diets the smell of Cinnabon was pure torture. I can avoid malls but they have them in airport terminals also and I cannot avoid.

Now, it just smells good. Not torture. I hadn’t thought of that until you posted this. Thanks for the NSV reminder.

(Jack Bennett) #4

Thanks!

Yeah, the feeling was pleasantly neutral - not a craving (something to fight), and not disgust or repulsion. Just a “noticing” of something in my awareness, without judgment.

It’s funny, dietitians talk about mindful eating as a way to survive calorie reduction, but being mindful sure seems easier on keto. In so many ways, the body drives the mind!

(Failed) #5

That’s absolutely great! Congratulations.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Bath & Body has some scents that smell very appetizing! :crazy_face:

(Jack Bennett) #7

Oh yeah, my wife is a fan of the candles and bath products that smell like pies or Starbucks drinks. :joy::joy:

(Susan) #8

That is terrific, Jack. I am like that smelling baking too, I like the smell but it doesn’t make me hungry for the foods. I bake non Keto cookies, muffins, cakes, etc here all the time, and none of them tempt me at all.

(Troy) #9

Nice!

Miss you my buttery salted twisted sensation
Bye…wetzel pretzels😩
Your aroma still lingers and breaks my heart

(Jane) #10

I found a fathead dough version of garlic pretzels I am going to try. Yeah, I know it is a substitute and not as good as the real thing… but going to try it anyway.

(back and doublin' down) #11

I’ll be watching for a report :wink:

(Marianne) #12

Isn’t that a great feeling!?

(Jack Bennett) #13

I’ve been thinking about this a bit more today.

Many of you may be familiar with the concept introduced by Nassim Nicholas Taleb’s book Antifragile. The idea is that an antifragile system is one that gets stronger or more resilient through external stresses and shocks.

The more I look at this, the more I can believe that a keto diet is a true example of this (especially when combined with fasting and protein leverage).

Typical stresses for people “on a diet” are:

• cravings
  • resentment and feelings of deprivation
  • dealing with “favorite” foods (especially sentimental or holiday foods)
  • not being able to eat anything on a menu
  • social situations and social pressure
  • travel (e.g. bad airport or gas station food)
  • reduced inhibitions and discipline due to alcohol

In my experience, all of the above either go away or become irrelevant through the effects of ketosis, intermittent fasting, and protein leverage. On the other hand, on a high-carb, calorie-reduction diet those effects are very real, and you have to fight them through willpower.

If I had been in my old carb-dependent / sugar burning state, I might have been persuaded by the pleasant Cinnabon smell. I remember feeling like I had to eat every couple of hours [1]. It seems like a different world.

In a fat-adapted state, it just became another example of how well keto works, without discomfort, and without strain.

[1] Personal example of this: in road trips back from college to my parents’ house, I can remember an eight hour drive expanding to twelve hours as I would stop at Burger King for lunch, Starbucks for a “coffee” to keep my energy up (sweet mocha drink plus muffin or pastry), McDonalds for dinner, Ben and Jerry’s for a 1000 calorie “snack”.

(Jane) #14

Meh.

(back and doublin' down) #15

seems like = was! I can’t imagine going back to feeling like I did back then!

No Pretzels For Me!